Scaling Question

So I've been working on a really big project creating a continent map. I've been working on it for weeks -- months, actually, from initial concept -- and have put in well over 100 hours. It's gorgeous if I say so myself (and I am NOT a self-congratulator or braggart by any stretch of the imagination!). I couldn't be happier with it. Except... to my horror I realized that I scaled it wrong! I scaled it too small (symbols, rivers, lakes, etc are too large on the map). So, easy fix for the symbols -- I just adjusted the scaling in the map to .5 and will go in and fill in the open areas where my now-shrunken symbols have left gaps in mountain ranges, etc. Easy. Okay.

But is there a way to scale rivers, lakes or terrain polygons? I know that the smaller lakes and rivers will disappear as they wouldn't be seen at the proper scale. That's okay. But there are a few seas and large rivers that need to be dealt with. Is there a command or procedure for changing the scale of rivers, lakes, and polygons, too, or do I need to just redraw everything? Okay, rivers are probably a wash as they'd need to be extended to their sources and ends once re-scaled. So that's a redraw. But what about my lakes/seas and the few terrains I need to adjust down?

Arg, I could just kick myself for making such a stupid mistake and taking so long to catch it! Stupid, stupid, stupid! LOL!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can always scale anything with the scale [SCA] command (found in the left toolbar). Do note that you will need to scale things individually however, as all entities selected for a single operation will be scaled according to a single origin point, which would influence their location too if you did many at once.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you picked all the tributaries of a river system and used the SCA command, would they stay linked up to each other, or shrink away from each other and require you to redraw the river?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueIf you picked all the tributaries of a river system and used the SCA command, would they stay linked up to each other
    When multiple entities are selected, they scale as if they were one, retaining the shape. The river would still shrink away from lakes, mountains, coastlines and other map elements though.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Remy :)

I was suffering a visualisation problem. You've cleared it up for me :D
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I ended up deciding it would just be easier to redraw a lot of the map, just keeping mostly just the basic land outline, but I did scale a few things (never noticed or used the scale button on the left. Don't know how I missed it as I use all the others!). Also, a re-draw gives me the opportunity to fix a few areas I wasn't completely happy with.