Menu text color changed to unreadable gray

Hello,

I've been using with (and enjoying) CC3+ for a few weeks now, and something really odd happened. The color of selectable items in windowed menus changed from black to a barely readable shade of gray (see image). Now the names of sheets, symbol catalogs, map templates, etc. all appear in this color, which makes navigating these menus a huge pain. It first happened somewhere when I started using Dungeon Designer, but I can't for the life of me figure out what triggered it.

Does anyone know what happened, or how to change this back?

Comments

• No idea if this will work, but click on the Color selector, just to the right of the Sheet selector. Click on 'Load Default PAL' and see if that helps.

Some of my maps tend to load some different color combo, and that brings it back.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017
    I believe Calibre had this same problem earlier this year but I don't know if anyone found a solution. If I recall, it even stumped Ralf. Hopefully Calibre will see your post and chime in with a solution or workaround that might help.

Although there is no Private Message system on the forum, you can whisper a comment to an individual that they will see as a new comment in a discussion thread. Note that forum moderators and administrators can see whispered posts, but they typically only skim the contents briefly to ensure there's nothing nasty or untoward without actually reading the content.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Could it be something to do with the Windows theme you are using?

Did you recently change it?
  • edited July 2017
    Posted By: JimPNo idea if this will work, but click on the Color selector, just to the right of the Sheet selector. Click on 'Load Default PAL' and see if that helps.

Some of my maps tend to load some different color combo, and that brings it back.
    Thank you! I can't even pretend to understand why this worked, but it worked :)

For future reference: after clicking the default PAL button, I had to pick black and save the map before it took effect.
  • The distanrt sound you hear reminds you of a 'ka-thud' of two things shock, alarm, and surprise, three things, anyway. I'm glad it worked, but I have no idea why.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am not sure myself, but do note that some of the colors in the palette are also used for the UI (Colors 16-20). None of these seems to control the list text though, but I am guessing it uses the unchangeable color 0 (it is always black) and somehow a palette corruption occurred . Thanks for pointing out this Jim, I learned something new today.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    +1

Right on! Thanks for the tip, Jim.
  • Posted By: MonsenI am not sure myself, but do note that some of the colors in the palette are also used for the UI (Colors 16-20). None of these seems to control the list text though, but I am guessing it uses the unchangeable color 0 (it is always black) and somehow a palette corruption occurred .
    I noticed now that whenever I start or load a DD3 map, and sometimes just when I change a tool or do something else in the map, the order of the first 32 colors changes. List text indeed seems to use color 0. So I have to repeat the solution every time. So far that's a relatively minor inconvenience. I might try making a macro for it at some point, but I haven't really looked into how that works yet.
    That sounds weird. Do you have a file called fcw32.pal in your CC3+ data directory? If you do, can you try to delete it (or rename it to something totally different) and see if the problem goes away (close all instances of CC3+ before doing this). Also, if this doesn't make it go away, check if there is a difference between your existing maps, and new maps you make, and if it happens with new maps, is it limited to a particular style?
  • When I had this happen, I don't remember the template. I remember, but could be mistaken, that some of the instances happen when I use the bitmap fills I used for contours on my previous version of Crestar. color chart and link to those fills
  • I did have that file, and so far removing it seems like a permanent solution, thanks!
    Though when I removed it the preview pictures of dungeon templates also turned black. Replacing the file doesn't bring them back either. Not that I really need them, but perhaps I'll try a clean reinstall tomorrow.
    Hmm, the black templates are an old bug, should be fixed a long time ago. Are you running the latest update? Anyhow, removing the ~BRINFO.FC$ files in the template folders should fix that (That's the cache file for the previews)
  • I'm running version 3.76
    I don't have that file in my dungeon templates folder, which I guess explains why I don't see previews for dungeon templates anymore. Strange that they just up and disappeared though.
    Make sure you view hidden files. If not already existing, that file should be automatically generated each time you use the template browser on that folder. When that file is not present, CC3+ takes a bit longer to open the template viewer, because it needs to read all the templates in the folder to generate the previews, while if it is there, CC3+ will just read the cached previews from it instead.
  • Isn't there also a check box 'cache' in the template requestor ?
    Yes, true, thanks for pointing that out. It is called always cache, and controls if the CC3+ should cache the file. It should be enabled by default, but if it is off, it won't create the cache files.
  • You're welcome. When I use templates I try to make sure that is checked, but apparently I have unchecked it in the past.
  • There's no hidden file, and always cache is on. I've left CC3+ running in the background with the template viewer open and it hasn't generated any new templates either. The template maps themselves seem to be normal though.
  • 9 days later
  • I did have this issue. Ralf gave various solutions, but finally ended up sending me a new copy of the file. I can't remember what it was, sorry

Cal
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Try overwriting the color menu file in your CC3+ program data directory (usually C:\Program Data\Profantasy\CC3Plus) with the attached version (unzip it first).
  • Thanks Ralf! On Monsen's suggestion I deleted said file a while ago, which fixed the menu issue. Your copy of the file doesn't bring the problem back, so I'll hold onto it.
    I've given up on the template previews, it turns out the templates aren't suited to my needs anyway.

By the way kuddos to everyone for having such an active and helpful community here. I'll try to participate more once I'm a bit more comfortable with the software (could be a while).