Large file Saving issue

Hey guys, new to this forum, but I couldn't find a solution to this issue, so I thought I'd post it myself.

I have been working on a VERY large map (10,000x10,000 px) for a long time now for a fantasy campaign I'm planning on running, and I have been getting some issues with the saved picture.

attached is a screen shot of the picture, as I'm not sure if the site would allow me to upload such a large file.

as you can see, a off center stripped grid is created across the picture, and no such object exists on any sheet, nor does it appear when working on the file.

have any of you ever seen something like this?

I'm at work right now, but in the newest save file, I believe the grid interferes with the inner circles as well. I'll upload when I get back

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    That's weird. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make a grid appear that isn't really there, but if you wouldn't mind posting yur .fcw, I can have a look at it, see if I can figure out what is going on.
  • I can try when I get home in 3 hours. it is quite a large file. :)
  • it took about 49 passes to render the png, and about 15-20 min.
    Posted By: samuelincait is quite a large file. :)
    The .fcw shouldn't be.
    I've experimented with multiple different exports here now, but I am unfortunately unable to reproduce this ghost grid of yours, all my exports come out fine. Does this happen for all export sizes for you, or only when you do a large export? Also, can you provide me with a screenshot of a small section from your exported map where this occurs, the image above is a bit low in resolution to make out the details. I was hoping to just replicate it for myself, but I am unable to.
  • here is the zoomed image.

I have several examples of pngs in the past that were the same size, 10000x10000, that came out fine.

I'm not sure what changed, other than just more detail being added. I will note that the issue only seems to be affecting the outer regions not yet filled in. maybe it will help when I fix the mountains? or maybe I could ad a texture to the backdrop?
  • now that I think of it, I probably should have linked a copy, not the real one :P all the units were out of wack when I looked at it just now
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow! That's just totally freaky.

Looking forward to hearing about what it is, and what the cure is also :)
    Can you try increasing your MaxPixelsPer pass value? This value determines how large a piece CC3+ will render in each pass, and often helps eliminate weird rendering issues.

Now, the tricky part of this value is picking a good value, since picking a too-high value will simply make CC3+ crash during the rendering. I recommend starting at 20000000, which is a value I've found always works for me, although I can do 40000000 on most maps.

Now, to change this value, close down all instances of CC3+, go into your data directory (c:\programdata\ProFantasy\CC3Plus by default), and edit the file CC3PlusCfg.xml (I recommend making a backup of the file first).

Near the bottom, you should see this
    &ltExportImages>
    &ltMaxPixelsPerPass>20000000&lt/MaxPixelsPerPass>
    &ltMinBorderPixels>5&lt/MinBorderPixels>
    &ltPassBorderPercent>10&lt/PassBorderPercent>
    &lt/ExportImages>

Simply edit the red number, make it 20000000, save the file, start CC3+, and render the map again. You should find that it will use much fewer passes.

Feel free to experiment with larger numbers, just note that going to large will cause CC3+ to crash during the rendering. Also make sure you have plenty of memory available, since this will cause CC3+ to consume much more memory too (It still can't consume more than 4GB, but it is a good idea to make sure you have that much free memory when starting the render)
  • just saw this this morning, I may try this when I get home. I was up late last night and I realized that the grid only showed up on sheets that didnt have a Texture Overblend, so I went to the affected sheets (the background and the mountain ring) and updated them with a texture, and you can only just see the grid on the background, so I may stick with this. screen shot below. maybe its something to do with the size of the map, and how it renders textures on the other sheets? I dunno, but it doesn't seem to affect symbols. thank you all for your awesome help and quick replies.