Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    The lands of the Vagoth comprise a large territory. But they consist of small kingdoms hanging on to the coastal areas and islands. They are the most numerous in Sutheimr (Western/Central/Eastern), the Skjaldborg Eylands, the northern lands of Brython, the northwestern coast of Beorgumende, and among the abandoned coastal ruins of the Dragon realms. Finally, there is the mythical island of Thrace and Niflheimr - the land of the dead.

Below is the overall land area that the Vagoth dwell. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as Eastern Sutheimr. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.

The second one is a Vagothian map showing the straits and the major mountain ranges along with the major settlements. North of the straits are the lands of the Vagoth and Elves. South of the straits are the lands of the Dwarves and the Kingdoms of the Vistulans.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as Central Sutheimr. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Central Sutheimr - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as Western Sutheimr. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Western Sutheimr - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as the Coastal Ruins of the Dragon Realms. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Dragon Realms - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as the Northwestern Coasts of Beorgumende. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Northern Beorgumende - PF800.png
    Below is the region known as Northern Brython. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Brython - PF400.png
    Below is the region known as the Skjaldborg Eylands. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Skajdborg Eylands - PF700.png
    Below is the region known as Niflheimr - The Land of the Dead and the Island of Thrace. Each grid square is equal to 50 miles. This is taken right off of the Kelleemah World Map. I will be using these maps as the templates for making more detailed maps of the area.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Niflheimr - PF800.png
    Here is the revised map of Eastern Sutheimr.
    I used the Par Lindstrom BW Style to represent Vagothian maps.
    I love the runes along the border.
    I also used some symbols from the Mike Schley Inks Style.

The map is split between Eastern Sutheimr in the northern side of the map and the Dwarven Realms of the Sellevolk to the south along with their Vistulan allies.
    The Straits of Kaldrmarr (The Cold Sea) separates the Northlands from the Mainland.

From east to west the mountain ranges of Eastern Sutheimr are:
    1. Hundrbjarg (Hounds Rock)
    2. Austriveggr (East Wall)
    3. Valdrtonn (Wolf Fang)
    4. Sytnrfell (Moaning Mountains)

The only city in Eastern Sutheimr is Farmadrborg (Trader's Town).

The mountains from east to west in the lands of the Sellevolk & Vistulan are:
    1. Vostok Sellevolk (East Sellevolk)
    2. Sredniy Sellevolk (Middle Sellevolk)

The Vistulan city of Severmore (North Sea) is situated between the two mountain ranges and is a major trading partner with the Vagothian city of Farmardrborg.

Here is a link to the larger image: https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=4853&attachmentid=97505
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - PF1024.png
    Here is the Hex version of the map. Each hex is 50 miles. I also swapped out the structure symbols for Fantasy Hex structure symbols.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Hex - PF1024.png
    Here is the WIP for a color version of the map. So far, it is not coming out like I hoped.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Color Test - PF1000.png
    Love this so far, looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks pixelkitteh! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017 edited

CharlesWayneRobinson lamented:Here is the WIP for a color version of the map. So far, it is not coming out like I hoped.

Yeah. I think you're doing what you can with it but that style really wasn't made for color. It actually looks nice, with its own charm (the blue you chose for the water is particularly fitting), but I don't think it improves the BW versions. The BW maps look really good. Honestly, you can probably ditch the color one if you want.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    I agree. I am going to stick with the BW version. It is time intensive to color it in as well.
    I have been thinking about it some more. I am now thinking that it still needs some color to make it pop some more, but I tried to put to much color into it. I will leave the sea and river colors on place and finish off the border.
    So here is the new plan.

BW Map with light blue sea, blue rivers, red text, red border, and color detailed icons in the corners.

Here is the WIP.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Color Test 1 - PF1024.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2017

I like this - good mix of colour and B&W
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

I think this looks much better, but why the red border only at the top?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

And no colour in the corner cartouches? You're slipping Charles. Go to the naughty seat. :D
    Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonSo here is the new plan.

BW Map with light blue sea, blue rivers, red text, red border, and color detailed icons in the corners.

Here is the WIP.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Color Test 1 - PF1024.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017 edited

Colour with a heavily black and white symbolled map is never a good idea, even though you had a good go at it.

For some reason the only people who've ever made a success of mixing black and white symbols with colour wash areas are the Ordnance Survey, but they modified it by making the symbols the same colour as the colour fill.

I agree with Dogtag that the colour version you've done looks ok, but isn't really doing anything for me more than the black and white version.

EDIT: btw - the reason I started this comment and got carried away was to tell you that the upload hasn't worked on your previous comment ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017

Ditto to Sue's comment about the upload, disagree with her about the colour.
    The upload on the quote will not work and was not supposed to.

The key was the "WIP" in the quote in regard to the Barliman's and Quenten's questions about why the red is only on the top.

WIP stands for Work In Progress. :-)

As far as color is concerned, I did something similar with a parchment map and it worked out great. I added color for the water, had red text, and added red to the border. It came out great. I think that it works when done in small amounts like that. This one of course is still a WIP (Work in progress). :-)

And if it does not work, then I simply eliminate or hide the color specific sheets. The FCW is built so I can turn off or on the three versions of the map and I may make a built in third version that does not include mountain text and has just political borders and kingdom names.

One FCW and four built in maps. :-)

I am just experimenting, having fun, and glad to have my health back to normal. ;-)
    PS: I still need to add a compass rose and scale bar to this one. I am thinking about the bottom right in the mountain area. I also just realized that I am missing a town. :-)

Thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Charles, these maps are really, really beautiful. I especially like the map border.
    Once again great job!:)
    Small update on the Eastern Sutheimr WIP:
    1. Added compass rose
    2. Added scale bar
    3. Could not get the font to change on the scale bar to the one I was using. So, I switched the rest of the text to the same font as the scale bar.
    4. I decided that I did not want to use the different symbols for the plain version versus the hex version. As such, I kept the original symbols to the style and shrunk them down a little bit to fit within the hexes and moved some of them.
    5. I added couple of more towns to the map.
    6. I fixed some issues with the rivers connecting to the coast.
    7. This one has the hexes on it.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - PF10242.png
    Thanks HadrianVI! :-)
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock

I like the recent versions with the red text & pale blue water. It makes everything "pop" and it looks balanced.
    Thanks robotrock! :-)
    Hey Charles

These are some great zoomed-in maps for your world. I definitely feel the "style" of the Vagothian Kingdoms, and I can easily imagine using the hex maps as handouts or trail-maps for players.

I really can't help you with choosing a style though! I'm a big fan of hex-based maps given my RPG roots, and I like all the different styles you present. Black and white maps with colour highlights work for me, so I will follow with interest and see how things develop as you progress.

DMG
    Thanks Dungeon Master Gaz! :-)

My first hex map had the hexes too dark, but the second attempt came out a lot better I think. The hex maps are especially useful for Dungeon Masters.
    If there's anything I can offer...

I add a hex grid to all of my maps. I don't always show the hex grid, but when I do I just add a transparency and slight blur to the grid to take attention away from the hexes and put focus back on the map. Try it. It might work with the right settings... ?

DMG
    The grid looks good now, just the first version was too dark.

I updated the map a little today. I put in a parchment background for the four icons in each corner, deleted the Mike Schley Inks and added back in the colored Mike Schley symbols.

All I have to do now is the red borders, but they are rather time consuming to do.

I have the hexes "hidden" on this one. :-)
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Icon Test 4 - PF1024.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017

This looks great !
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

The parchment backgrounds are a nice touch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017 edited

I notice the red in the border has been done piecmeal, and varies in shade/saturation. Can I ask, how are you coloring the border? Are you using a Blend Mode effect on a red box? I did a quick test using Blend Mode (Multiply) and it worked nicely. I'm just curious.

For what it's worth, though, I think it looks better without the colors in the border and corners, though obviously it's unfinished right now so it's hard to tell for sure. I really like that color for the water, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I like the colour in the corners and the cartouches in them, but not so sure about the red border. I rather like it B&W, but I guess we need to see the final product before we make a final opinion. Overall, it is great
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

This looks amazing!:)
    • CommentAuthorTopdecker
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

It all came together very nicely with the latest rendition, Charles. The theme blends perfectly with the symbol set and the border is fantastic.

Tim
    I have not had the chance to do anything with the map lately.

Thanks for the compliments JimP, Barliman, HadrianVI, and Topdecker! :-)

Quenten and Dogtag, I sill have a BW version. I posted it on Deviant Art and the Cartography related groups on there, but it has not done well. I added the water areas but that did not help. That is one of the reasons I am looking at a little more "pop". :-)
    Posted By: DogtagI notice the red in the border has been done piecmeal, and varies in shade/saturation. Can I ask, how are you coloring the border? Are you using a Blend Mode effect on a red box? I did a quick test using Blend Mode (Multiply) and it worked nicely. I'm just curious.

I will have to try the Blend Mode (Multiply)! :-)

I have been using the dark red color with Transparency with it set at 80%.

It overlaps the dark areas some so there is a variant in the shade/saturation since those portions create a darker red section.

So far, it has been real tedious and cumbersome process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017 edited

Yikes! Yeah, you may want to take a look at Blend Mode. It's one of those effects a lot of people skip because they're not entirely sure how it works. I guarantee you it's worth playing with, though. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if this is exactly what you're after, but it's still a good effect to have in your toolbox.

Here's the test I did. It took me longer to write the text on the map than it did to color the border. I think the whole shebang, text and all, took a little over 5 min.  :D  I've attached the FCW for you to look at, if you're interested.

ca79 bw w colored borders blend mode.png

I hope it helps. Note that the red frames in the FCW overlap the black border around the runes on each side (but, of course, do not spill into the squares at the corners).

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Awesome Dogtag, that helps a lot! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017

Naturally, you may want to experiment with different opacities and shades of red.
    Here is the updated "regular" map of Eastern Sutheimr and the "hex" map of Eastern Sutheimr. I want to give a shout out to Dogtag that really helped me out with the border color! :-)
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - PF10243.png
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Eastern Sutheimr - Hex - PF10242.png
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017

It turned out great!
    Thanks robotrock! :-)
    Here is the revised map of Central Sutheimr.
    I used the Par Lindstrom BW Style to represent Vagothian maps.
    I also used some symbols from the Mike Schley Style and wave symbols from CC3 BW style.

The map shows Central Sutheimr and the Straits of Kaldrmarr (The Cold Sea) that separates the Northlands from the Mainland.

From east to west the mountain ranges of Central Sutheimr are:
    1. Sytnrfell (The Moaning Mountains)
    2. Arifjodr (The Eagle Wing)
    3. Atallotti (The Terrible Dread)
    4. Qasiret Saxtalari (The Mines of Doom) - The greatest of the Sellevolkian Colonies in Sutheimr that was destroyed by the Dragon's of the Mad Queen during the Chess Wars. Three Elder Dragons led their armies here and still dwell within the ruins and valley's on either side of this land. The Elder Dragons are known as Atallotti (the Terrible Dread), Leithrherr (the Hateful Destroyer), and Storrnadr (the Great Serpent).

The only city in Central Sutheimr is Heillborg (Safe Town).

Kaldrmarr, Sytnerfell, Arifjodr, Atallotti, Leithrherr, Storrnadr, and Heillborg are Vagothian while Qasiret Saxtalari is of the Dwarven tongue.
      The Lands of the Vagoth - Central Sutheimr - PF1024.png
      The Lands of Vagoth - Central Sutheimr - Hex - PF1024.png