Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorauryx
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2017

All your maps are amazing. Well done Gaz and thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, auryx.

Glad you enjoyed them :)

DMG
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017

If ProFantasy still gave out the Master Mapper awards, I would certainly nominate you DMG! All of your maps are beautiful but your world map just has me speechless. Wow!
    Haha!

Cheers Shessar! There are so many superb cartographers on the forums - you only have to look at the contributions to the Community Atlas to see that - we'd probably all end up with a MM award in the end! :)

Thanks

DMG
    DMG's or Damage in MMO terms haha, your maps are very clean and fluid. They have the right balance of biomes, terrain fills and symbols. Nice job.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

Hi DMG

Your maps look amazingly beautiful! You have - among other things - an incredible sense for the placement of the texts. It's just perfect, really!
    This is something I always struggle with and it can destroy an entire map, if the texts are badly placed or have the wrong size. But you've done it perfectly, especially on the maps in the classic fantasy style.
    Great job!

Also:
    Posted By: ShessarIf ProFantasy still gave out the Master Mapper awards, I would certainly nominate you DMG! All of your maps are beautiful but your world map just has me speechless. Wow!

They don't give them out anymore? That was my main motivation to stubbornly stick to do CC3+ even though things could sometimes have been done a lot easier in other software:P
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

Posted By: HadrianVIThey don't give them out anymore? That was my main motivation to stubbornly stick to do CC3+ even though things could sometimes have been done a lot easier in other software:P

Hahaha! Don't worry Hadrien...you (and Sue, and Lorelei, and Charles, and Tony...and...and...and...) would also get my vote. Probably why they don't hand out the rewards now...Far too many great mappers around here to pick just one. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

That's actually pretty true. I feel it's almost impossible to pick a Master Mapper from all the great artists producing CC3+ maps - especially since they are all friendly and very helpful on this forum too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

There are a lot of them, true, but it might still be a worthwhile tradition to pick back up. I think everyone understands that the choosing will never be an exact science anyway, and will just be happy for the person that did get picked. Excluding winners of the title from previous years also cuts a bit back on candidates as the years pass.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

Posted By: Shessar
    Posted By: HadrianVIThey don't give them out anymore? That was my main motivation to stubbornly stick to do CC3+ even though things could sometimes have been done a lot easier in other software:P

Hahaha! Don't worry Hadrien...you (and Sue, and Lorelei, and Charles, and Tony...and...and...and...) would also get my vote. Probably why they don't hand out the rewards now...Far too many great mappers around here to pick just one. :D

Haha, I did not mean to suggest that I thought deserved it, I do not:D There are many mappers, including yourself, that are a lot better than me.

But the (inexistent) possibility of one day becoming a Master Mapper - and defiance towards the haughtiness of some PS-Mappers - has in fact been a major motivation to get better with my map making.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I should have links on my Crestar site to past symbol get togethers. I made ponds, billard tables, a slot machine, and drive-in movie theaters for those.
    Thanks FarsightX3 & HadrianVI. I only deal DMG to my players. They know it, and fear it. Muahahaha haaa!

I'm flattered that you, and several other people, have examined my maps in such detail. My Aethir maps took a very long time to create.

Just over two years ago I created a thread called The Kingdom of Estlond, and posted a couple of maps of the same island kingdom to show how I'd experimented with several different styles over the course of many years to arrive at the final Classic Fantasy design that you see in my world map.

I really have poured a lot of time into these maps, so I am very grateful to everyone who enjoys them on a deeper level - Thank you. It really does make all the effort very worthwhile, especially when all I get from my players is "Oh, Gaz has made another amazing map - yawn!" They've just become numb to it all.

The design of the Aethir map itself has been around for even longer, and it didn't begin life as Aethir.

About eleven years ago I created a campaign setting called "Legend". It was a mythical greek/roman/norse setting where players created characters that were the scions of the gods - like Perseus, Hercules, or Achilles. It was before I owned Campaign Cartorapher, and was inspired after watching the film "300". Back then I was using some art software that was basically MS Paint+ and this is the map that I originally made. It's not a CC map, so I only show it so you see where Aethir was born. Over the next decade, after countless redrawings in many different styles, it grew into what it is today - so I hope you understand that when I say I'm flattered I really mean it, and genuinely appreciate the interest that everyone has shown for something that has been a passion of mine for a long time.

DMG
      LegendWholeWorld.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Interesting !
    As far as Master Mapper awards go...

I think a titled award should be reinstated. It does inspire people and gives them something to aim for but, like the old MM award, it shouldn't be based on maps alone.

There are folks on this forum who have contributed for years. Others who give incredible technical advice or tutorials. Still others that help, encourage and inspire, but may not necessarily be the greatest of cartographers - and all are deserving of such an accolade.

I can imagine it must be a difficult process to choose someone, but wonderful for the person who is rewarded with the title.

I say bring it back!! :)

DMG
    Really awesome stuff! :-)
    I just had to let you know that your maps lured me back into map-making after taking a long break. I actually cracked open the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and the how-to guides of the annuals this weekend.
    Go for it WVFaeryWoman! and thank you for the comments. I'm glad my maps inspired you to give CC3+ another outing :)

DMG
    The maps in this thread are amazing, very inspiring. And they definitely get me itching to get some of the annuals as well :)

So hopefully I'll be anywhere near this good in 10 years too.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

Superb mapping DMG. This thread is a treasure trove of delights :)
    Again, thanks for sharing all of these. I'm going to have to study your Shamutantai hills map, I love the perspective on that one.
    All your maps are incredible, I have to say that they are very inspiring to look at. The Schley style perspective one in particular was just such an interesting use of the style to me, I think I want to give that one a go! It's one of my favorite styles to begin with but the way you have used it here is just wonderful.