Object off center from crosshairs

I've been having a weird problem with CC3+. Somehow, a single object became uncentered from the crosshairs, and I cannot find a way to return it to the center.

I've had this problem before, and I could neither solve it or find a solution on the forums. Ultimately, I reinstalled CC3+ and all addons, and the problem was corrected, though I would hope that I don't have to do this again.

Is there a way to recenter an object onto the crosshairs? I've tried every option in the right-click menu as well.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The origin of a symbol is what is at the center of the crosshairs. Not all symbols have their origin at the center, for example, symbols that are meant to be placed up against a wall typically have their origin at the edge of the symbol, and this is also where the crosshairs will be.

In other words, it depends on the symbol itself, and is not a global property or a setting to be changed. You can always edit a symbol to change it's origin, but this behavior is intentional to make symbols easier to place. This is especially important when using modifiers (like endpoint, midpoint, etc) or snaps for precise positioning, but also for visual positioning, as you can use the lines from the cross-hairs as guides to match other entities.
  • This may be the issue. Somehow the origin got changed, offsetting the object. How do I reset the origin to the center of the crosshairs?
    You misunderstand me. The symbols that do not appear at the center of the crosshairs do so because they are not supposed to so.

You can move the origin of any given symbol by editing it from the symbol manager, and then do a view -> move origin, but many symbols are designed with the origin off center for a reason, this isn't a bug, but intended behavior.
  • Okay, maybe I should be more specific in my description. I've been trying to make a star system with cosmographer 3. In placing most planets, I can line them up using the crosshairs to get them on the same plane. However, the gas giant is off center. I've included a picture to demonstrate. Note that the planet on the right is dead center in the crosshairs while the planet on the left is off center by a great deal.

In previous attempts, the gas giant was centered on the crosshairs just like the terrestrial planet on the right. Somehow, it has become off-center, and I'm trying to figure out how to re-center it on the crosshairs.

Any ideas of how this could have happened?
    In that case, it is the gas giant symbol in the traveller symbol catalog that is different from the gas giant symbol in the "regular" symbol catalog. Open up the CosA_Planets.FSC symbol catalog instead of the CosA_Planets_Traveller.FSC one, and you'll see that the gas giant behaves differently.

Traveller has all this fixed placement stuff, so symbols made for that often have weird origins (at least when used with non-traveller maps) but I am unsure why it is just the gas giant that is offset in this catalog though, that may be a bug in itself, but the reason you experience it as changed is most likely that you had the other catalog open earlier.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That is indeed because the catalog "CosA_Planets_Traveller.FSC" has the gas giant scaled to work as a small, offset symbol on the Traveller sector and subsector maps (indicating gas giant presence in the system). Click the Planets catalog button and choose the "3D" version of the catalog to get the "normal" gas giant. You just have to put in a 0 for the "height" when placing the symbol.

There should probably really be two versions of the "flat" gas giant symbol, one for the sector and subsector maps, and one for system maps.