Seeking Advice: Creating a Handrawn Map Handout

So I'm looking to make some player handouts that represent the maps that other adventurer's may have made while exploring a dungeon (Undermountain). So I need to come up with a border that looks like torn/ripped/crude parchment, leather, or papyrus (any one would be fine). And then I need a fill and a symbol style that would go with this.

I've been trying to find something both in my install and on the forums here, but no luck. If someone knows of a tutorials or has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. (I have CC3+, CD, DD, SS1-4, TUM)

Comments

• HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Maybe the treasure map issue from the 2011 annual could serve your purpose.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    SS2 contains a handdrawn style (SS2 Dungeon Handdrawn). There should also be a couple of different parchment backgrounds there, but you need to insert them manually after starting the map, they won't show up in the new map wizard.
    Note that when starting a new map, the filled symbols are loaded by default, but for handdrawn maps, I prefer the hollow ones. You should be able to switch to these by pressing the symbol style toggle button twice.

For better parchment options, I recommend the June 2007 annual.
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    A quick way to do this assuming you are not planning on publishing/selling this... Find a good piece of virtual parchment paper for the task - I searched for 'torn parchment paper png' and was rewarded with a number of hits. Grab one with a decent resolution that you like.

When you start a new project in CC3+, you will want to have a good idea of the ratio/scale for the parchment paper. Creating a map with the same scale will ensure that the paper fits inside your project though you can certainly stretch it as needed - it is just easier to make it work from the start. So know the the dimensions of the paper and scale the source to match - if it were 1000 x 750, you might do 100x75 or 200x150 - just keep the scale accurate.

Once the project is up, create a layer just above the BACKGROUND layer (I named mine PARCHMENT). Make sure the parchment layer is active, then click on DRAW --> INSERT FILE. Browse-up your parchment paper (having it in a final resource folder is a good idea here) and insert it, dragging it around to scale it. You will probably need to tweak it a bit, but once it aligns, you are ready to start mapping. Once you have this, hide the BACKGROUND layer/sheet.

From here, you are likely to be a bit disappointed with the CC3+ assets available. The problem is that B&W sets actually incorporate WHITE into the symbols - very few symbol sets are just black with transparent bits. Anyhow, you can use the various line tools to hand-draw the map - and you will get an appropriately hand-drawn appearance by doing this. Here you will want to pay attention to line thickness and probably be a bit heavy handed.

You might also want to look at the TREASURE MAP set. It might have a lot of what you want (it actually starts on parchment paper, though it is not torn). It does fill to match the default paper, so no point in changing the background if you use this set.

Tim
  • Thanks all. That helps a lot. It will be for sale (DMsGuild) so I do need to find a parchment I can use with the proper license. I have found a few, but most of the edges are digitally created and look like it. I'm going to try and create my own. Given that all these maps will be handout size, I can get away with just a couple of real examples and they don't need to be able to be stretched.

I had read in another thread about the B&W symbols having a white background so that was one of my concerns. I don't need to many symbols, maybe those in SS2 will be sufficient.

I'll share any parchments I create and an example or two or what I come up with. Thanks :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LordEntrailsI had read in another thread about the B&W symbols having a white background so that was one of my concerns. I don't need to many symbols, maybe those in SS2 will be sufficient.
    The SS2 set is a full dungeon style on it's own, so you should find a rather complete set.
    Unfortunately, they do have white in them, but that since they are vector symbols, it is easy to remove. Simply explode the symbols, then use the erase tool, select the entire symbol, combine it with And (Both) and select by color and pick white. This allows you to erase just the white part. And you can do this on all the symbols at once, once you are done placing them.
  • Thanks Monsen. I may just take the time to create/expand the SS2 symbol catalog so I have it for future use too. Thanks for the instructions.

So I ended up making my own parchments. I put together a tutorial and a bunch of images that I've released into the public domain. Couldn't get them to upload in a new post here, so started a thread on the Cartographer's Guild; https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=38383&p=344481#post344481
  • I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you have Photoshop (or presumably GIMP), you could do the map in two steps: Create the black and white map in CC3+, using the SS2 set, then save as a .png. Open in Photoshop and place it on a layer above your parchment and set the blending mode of the layer with the map to "multiply" - no more white.
  • Thanks robotrock. I might use that in the future. It seemed to work pretty well using Topdecker's approach.

Here's the first map, I did not add any effects. This would be a handout in the best of shape/condition. Suggestions for good effects welcome, critiques welcome.
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    That's really good!

My only suggestion - fade the paper quite a bit as it seems a bit too dark for me. Paper should be nearer the tone of the content area of this board IMHO.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you have and use GIMP, it would be a 2 minute job to mess with the levels on that paper and make it as pale as you like ;)
  • That sample above happens to be one where the paper is still (mostly) wet. That's why it's so dark. I think that one texture is more like a leather page. But anyway, check out the tutorial I linked above, it has 8 different parchments of differing shades and shapes.

But, as Sue says, it's easy to adjust how light/dark the paper is once you have it. Not only can you do it in Gimp, but you should be able to do it in CC3+ with sheet effects without too much trouble. (A little transparency I suspect?)

Here's another one I did last night (after burning one of my paper samples) a bit. I added some blur and transparency to the lines/text to see how I like that. Again, this paper was still wet, so it's pretty dark too. (Burning wet paper gave me lots of the smokey black and allowed the burn to be controlled easier than the dry paper I burned.)
    edited June 2017
    Your paper edge is pretty awesome! If you want to get wildly realistic, you might explore how to add creases - as if the paper had been folded :)

After replying yesterday, I genned up several sheets of 'parchment' paper. No work done on the edges or overt stains added.
    View post on imgur.com
    View post on imgur.com
    View post on imgur.com
    I created them - anyone can use them without crediting me or worrying about copyright issues. What's 75 minutes of goofing off with a graphics package compared to good karma? :)

Tim
  • *lol* I hope they are realistic, they are scans of real paper! (Did you zoom in on an edge and see the fibers?)

The tutorial I linked above is really easy (plus it has 8 examples that are free to use commercially). It probably took me an hour to create three samples, and several variants using each sample. All from one grocery bag. Since then I have made nearly a dozen more images using those three samples by doing various distressing (folding like a letter, sitting on it for a few hours, crumbling one up like a ball, creatively burning two of them...)
    That certainly explains the realistic appearance of the edges!

I have a scanner, but if I can work digitally, I am gonna do it though at some point, it is probably more time effective to scan.

Tim
    edited June 2017
    I made these textures in GIMP and Genetica. The square ones are seamless textures, the others are not.

The seamless ones are about 3000 px, which is 3 x the size of normal CC3 textures, so be aware that they may fractionally slow down the reaction time of the texture picker. Some of the non seamless ones are quite large, files, so be aware of that before you start to download any of them.

You can use any of these textures for private or commercial work without credit, but if you redistribute them in any way as textures in their original form they are free textures and not for sale.

You're still going to have to work on the edges with these, but there are plenty of ways of doing that in GIMP, and also in CC3 ;)

EDIT: oh yes - all those files are jpg files, which you can convert in a millisecond by opening them in GIMP and exporting as a png. (CC3 textures are always png files)
    Here is what I would do if I wanted to make a variable ragged look in CC3:

Background completely white.

Draw a raggedy outline on a sheet above the background with the freehand pencil tool, and turn it into a poly by right clicking the fractalize tool and picking Path to Poly. Change the attributes to fill the poly with a paper texture of your choice. Use inner glow with deep brown for burned effect.

If you want an uneven burned effect duplicate the poly you have just drawn onto the sheet above it, and have no inner glow effect, but add a slight edge fade inner effect. Then adjust the shape of the uppermost unburned piece of paper inside the outline of the first bit until you have variously covered (or not covered) the full extent of the glow on the sheet below it.
  • One thing that bothers me with these maps is how regular the lines are. Is there a way to have the line thickness irregular without going in and making each one really narrow fill/poly? Kind of like the fractal tool I used to make them less than straight, but for line thickness or color/weight?
    Not that I am aware of, LE, but if there is I'd love to know about it ;)

You can use blur to shade things, with several overlaid sheets with different blurs on them, but different thickness lines is something I've not seen as yet.
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Hi, this looks very nice. But I would suggest to use the adjust hue/saturation effect to brighten up the paper just a bit.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    edited June 2017
    I think there might be a way to have this random thickness. Look at the following example: It is only a straight line, with some effect applied on it (I displayed the effect settings in the picture):

[Image_8946]

I guess that you can have a much better results if you create your own displacement texture...
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    As Gathar points out, the displacement tool will randomize wide lines a bit. For the displacement effect, try using concrete.png in the C33Plus\Filters\Image directory. Or try the attached image. For best effect at warping lines, you want to get a fractal noise that tiles (the Render>>Clouds filter in Photoshop will do this). If you want to get a blobbier texture than basic noise will do, blur the noise a little to remove the high-frequency content that causes all of the little excursions.
    So if you found a nice contrasting texture among the exiting CC3 textures (which all tile) would a colour texture work as well - as long as its got plenty of tonal contrast as well?

Sorry Joe - I'm interviewing today and haven't got time to try it out!
  • Thank you Gather and jslayton! Just quickly I tried Joe's noise gif and really like the results. I've got to explore more to find a final effect, but wanted to give a quick sample of what it looks like at my first try.

Hadrian, can you recommend HSV values? I can't find anything that appears to make any change to the parchment image.
    Posted By: LoopysueSo if you found a nice contrasting texture among the exiting CC3 textures (which all tile) would a colour texture work as well - as long as its got plenty of tonal contrast as well?
    Contrast isn't terribly important because that can be overridden by the scaling features. What's important is the shape of things in the image and whether the bump map checkbox is on. In Gathar's example, he used the ball image and turned off the bump map checkbox. You can see the repeating ball displacement pattern showing as blobs. In LordEntrails example, the bump map checkbox was on and you can see the image breakup caused by the high frequencies in the noise.

Small features (high frequency detail) in the input image will result in small features in the final result. The noise image that I posted is full of high-frequency detail (well, detail at all scales, which is what makes it a fractal) and those small details in the input cause small details in the output. The ball image that Gathar used is very low frequency detail, which results in smooth displacements in the output.

The displace filter works by loading the displacement map and then using the red and green channels or each pixel in that image to control how far away and in what direction the final pixel will be fetched. A red pixel value from 0 to 127 fetches to the left; one from 128 to 255 fetches to the right of the current position. The green channel has the same rules, but vertically. If the bump map checkbox is set, the input image is converted to a height map and then the normal map for that surface is used as the displacement map. The attached image shows the difference between the bump map checkbox on and off.

There are some serious practical limitations to the displace filter what mostly stem from the use of nearest-neighbor sampling of the inputs. A better sampling technique would give less noise when things are scaled, but it would be many times slower.
    t0.gif 25.2K
    Oh thank you! :D

That has explained so much. Now at least when I get down to trying it out I will have a good idea of which textures to try out first :)
    edited June 2017
    One last thing before I stop hijacking this thread, but here's an example of the noise image that I posted compared to one with a 4-pixel blur.
  • "One last thing before I stop hijacking this thread.."

Please don't stop! I'm learning lots, even if I don't understand it all!!
    And there I was about to apologise - as an equally guilty party! LOL!

You and me both, LE ;)
    HSV values to lighten the paper:

Simply increase the Lightness value and click Apply to see how much it has affected your paper. Once you get it a bit paler you can alter how grey or colourful it is by playing with the Saturation value (you can go negative as well as positive with the values). I assume you already have it the colour you want it, but adjusting the Hue value will slide it along the spectrum away from the colour it is in either direction.

Hope that helps :)