Issues with Floor Mask Trace

So, I am having the worst time trying to add just a basic ol' floor mask to a dungeon map. I'm using just the basic DD3 dungeon and there is nothing on the map yet but the background and the pretty basic, simple dungeon. No symbols, I have no effects on yet, etc. Figured I'd get the mask on first. But for whatever reason, it has been a struggle. It is taking an inordinate length of time. I've been working on it for over an hour and don't have 25% done yet. I start drawing the mask, get to the point where I want to start the trace, do all the trace commands, click at the halfway point of the section I want to trace, go back and click on the start point, and then before I can even click on the end point the windows working/waiting wheel starts spinning. I go to my end point of the section and click it, anyway. And then I wait. And wait. And wait. The cursor vanishes and the windows wheel keeps spinning away. I get a (Not Responding) notice in the topmost bar and the waiting wheel continues to spin, so I figure the program is just working away. Then the screen goes blank except for the actual trace line, which draws itself over and over and that goes on for a while. Then I come back to the full screen and still wait. Eventually, if I haven't gotten totally fed up and exited the program by then, it stops and is ready for the next section to trace.

Note that I have absolutely no issues using the trace command to place terrains on overland maps, or even lakes in dungeon maps. But this floor/wall mask thing is killing me! Does it really take THIS long or am I missing something or doing something wrong? There's nothing else big running on my system, and checking the CPU and memory they are both staying around 30% for the whole system while I'm waiting for CC3+ to do its thing. This just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks, all!

Comments

• ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Hm... the menu page is saying there's 1 comment but I see nothing but my own original post...? I must have gremlins today or something!!! lol!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I'm afraid I can't help with the weird behavior you're encountering (sorry), except to suggest you also email the support desk. However, I can tell you that the forum counts every post (i.e., comment) including the first/original. So after you start a thread, it has 1 comment.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Hm... well, what I saw when I posted about seeing 1 comment but finding only my original one said the 1 new post was from you, Dogtag, and having seen your trace tutorial video I was excited and thought maybe you had the solution for me! LOL!

In any event, that same scenario went on for over an hour and I never got any further, so I just used the task manager to close CC3+. Tried again last night and got the same results... BUT, I started work on a new map in a different style and had no problems making a trace mask at all. So it's only been the DD3 Dungeon style that does this to me (this is not the first time this has happened while trying to mask floors on a DD3 Dungeon map). Guess I'll just stop using that particular style.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Can you post the FCW file that's causing the issue? I can't promise anything, but someone may be able to replicate the problem and offer a solution or confirm it's a bug.
  • I had similar issues with a trace I was trying to do when following one of the dungeon tutorials. Don't remember if it was from SS4 or TUM. But anyway, I discovered that one of my walls needed to be deleted and re-created and then combined with the others into a single poly. I don't know why that one line element was causing problems, but it was.

So, anyway, try a couple of things;
    - make sure all your corridor and room walls are joined with combine
    - try starting and ending your trace in a different section (i.e. see if you can isolate the line segment that has the problem)
    - zoom in and out slowly to see if any graphic artifacts show up at a unique zoom level, this can help identify which entity might need to be re-created
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Thanks, LordEntrails.... And thanks, too, Dogtag, but I already deleted the troublesome file and started a new one in a different style (and had 0 trace problems...).
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    I too had issues with the tracing.
    When I imported my drawing for the Hanging Gardens map into CC3+ I had hoped I would be able to trace the lines of the drawing, but I was not able to do so.
    How excactly does the tracing work? Normally I would not expect tracing to work with a png import, because so far I only traced entities and the lines of png files are certainly no seperate entities.
    But some of the tutorials regarding the creation of symbol cataloges and some of the posts here in the forum indicated that this was possible.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can only do manual tracing on a png, CC3's tracing feature only support vector entities.