World Map Labels

I've finally reached the point in my global world map, where I start to label everything. My question is, what do you label on a global world map?
For me I've got a 10000x8000 pixel map and label the kingdoms, sub-kingdoms, and all the towns.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It depends a bit on your mapping style, I would say. For me, it is very important that the map do not look cluttered when viewed zoomed out (assuming full screen view). I am happy with the fact that you may need to zoom in to read the labels on some minor features, as long as this doesn't make the main view cluttered.

Personally, for world maps, I usually name the continents, the oceans, large kingdoms, very large natural features and possibly very large cities/capitals. The rest can wait til the continent map level, or even below.
  • Cool, your last bit was what I was looking for. I'm just trying to get an overall view of everyone's style to help me determine my own. I definitely agree with the non-cluttered look.
  • Just a marker for major cities at planet or continent level is good. Puttting symbols, other than mountain ranges, can get too cluttered at planet/continent level. I have even put a gray color area and labeled it mountains. Same for large forests, except a medium green.
  • I do exactly what Monsen said :) I sometimes make 3 versions of the same area as I continue to zoom in - world map, continent map, region map.