Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017

Hi

Here's my first update on Tobruq. I hope you guys like it.:)

I'll use this map as a part of my entry for the lite challenge at the guild. I hope that is okay with everyone:)
      Tobruq.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017

Will be interesting to see where this goes...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017

I got the silver compass - its time someone took the gold :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'm with Sue.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you guys.
    Well, this is for the Lite Challenge, so theres no way to win gold with this one. And I doubt I'll win anything with my entry for the hanging garden challenge.:p
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh yes! (I've been getting muddled up because I'm doing both ;) )
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017 edited

Hi

Here's a quick update on the Tobruq map. I decided to include the map for the largest city of the oasis into the map itself.
    The picture below is a ~4k render taken directly from CC3+. As you see on the oasis map on the right, the rendering is causing some errors at the moment that will be fixed.

I hope you guys like it.
      Oasis City.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2017

Like very very much.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017

Thank you, Quenten!:)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017

You're doing well - keep it up :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I must say it would be better for future mappers of locations, either in the City, or the Oasis, if the maps were 2 separate maps. We can also give you double praise then
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I agree with Quenten here. While this look good from an artistic point of view, and may be a decent layout in a physical book, I think it is better for the atlas and for those who wish to use the map to have them as individual files.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Maybe separate them after the Challenge is over, Hadrian? ;)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

Thank you for your comments. I will split the maps up for the Atlas, but I will use them like this for the lite challenge.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime5 days ago

So, this is the version I handed in for the challenge. I had to reduce the size to upload it here.
    The full version can be found here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=38444&page=3

There are still a few things that could be done to improve the map, and it will be done for the atlas versions.:)

Thanks to Sue, Tonnichiwa and Lorelei for the Votes:)
      Alwayir II.jpg
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Beautiful and effective. The layout immediately has me imagining the city under siege. (yes, I'm weird that way. :) )
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Thank you, Barliman. I did actually consider making a post about the cities defense strategy.:)
    But I did unfortunately not have time to do so yet.

Considering that possible attackers from outside the oasis will most likely not have the technology to build larger ships (because the next coast lies 600 Miles to the north-west), I think the cities defenses are pretty solid. Any attacker would have a pretty hard time to get into the upper city.

@Quenten: Thank you for your vote:)
    This map is amazing!

It conjures a distinct middle-eastern, desert metropolis, feel. Your very effective use of shadows to portray the grand bridge between the upper city and the citadel, and the bevels and screens to create the terrain, along with inset map and the stone-carved text, all work together to make this an incredible map, From the opulent detail of the Golden District to the cramped bazaars of the Lower City - this is a triumph!

Very well done!

DMG
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Posted By: HadrianVIConsidering that possible attackers from outside the oasis will most likely not have the technology to build larger ships (because the next coast lies 600 Miles to the north-west), I think the cities defenses are pretty solid. Any attacker would have a pretty hard time to get into the upper city.

Yeah, given the setting, I was thinking fired clay walls and square towers, a la Assyria or Babylon. Great for stopping even large hordes of desert raiders.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Thank you, DMG:)

@Barliman: Yess a group of desert raders would definately have a difficult time getting in. It would probably require a mongolian style horde to sack this one.