Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2017

This is what I have so far for a Mercator Hemispheric map of Nibirum. (I am using the AE Hemispheres projection of the FT file)
    I have one question - why isn't the colour of the ship, compass and monster symbols coming over.
    The brown areas on the map represent a contour level from Shessar's original map, but it will be replaced later with mountain symbols where they are on the various continental maps.
      Nibirum.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

ooh this is neat, Q. Love it
    Fabulous work! :-)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Quenten asked:... why isn't the colour of the ship, compass and monster symbols coming over

The Mercator Annual symbols use multiple sheets, Quenten, one sheet for the black outlines, and another sheet for the colours, so the colours appear "behind" the outlines. However, if you use them in a map template that isn't designed for the Mercator set-up, the "Symbol Color" sheet will appear in the wrong order (usually on top of everything else, because CC3+ is creating a new sheet when you select the symbol). I'd guess that something's happened here either to delete the "Symbol Color" sheet for some reason, or it's there alright, but has ended up in the wrong place in the sheets sequence, so is being "hidden" by the sea colour, for instance. What makes me think it may have been deleted somehow is the compass rose, as I assume that's on top of no part of the map.

Hopefully, either moving the sheet down the list, if it's there, or adding it if it isn't, putting in the correct order, and then placing the symbols again, should solve the problem. I had a bit of a battle with this myself once, when using the Mercator symbols in a non-Mercator template map, as you may guess!

Looking good so far apart from that though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017 edited

I fixed the problem with the colour symbols - it was the Blur effect being as % of Zoom limits, not map Units. Here is an update - the whole map, and Artemisia (now finished). I intend only to label what the Community has mapped. Next stop, Forlorn.
      Nibirum2.JPG
      Nibirum Artemisia.JPG
    This looks amazing Quenten, great work as usual! :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017

Glad you'd sorted the "uncoloured" symbols, Quenten.

While Artemisia looks OK close-up, it seems very cluttered for use on the world map in this style, I think. It might be worth taking another look at the PDF mapping tutorial for the Mercator Annual, or just the World of Dyra CC3+ map, to see what I mean. Symbol overlap works best if it's almost nonexistent in the Mercator style, for instance, and symbols generally can be pretty sparsely applied overall, away from the "better known" areas (to whoever's mapping it, that is!). River lines might be better sticking to the black, slightly sketchy, lines of the Mercator style as well, rather than the more usual smooth blue ones here.

Simple and fairly basic seems to be the key in Mercator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I think Wyvern makes a very good point here. The detail level on Artemisa looks nice if that was a separate map in this style, but on the world map, it does make things look much to cluttered.

As Wyvern points out, the Mercator style is quite vulnerable to this, but this is a problem I see with many other maps posted to the forum as well, people want too much detail when zoomed in, which negatively affects the "full view" of the map. It also causes the symbols to be too small to have a value on the full view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Point taken
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017

This is very well done. Great job, Quenten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2017

An update on the mercator map of nibirum. 3 continents to go, and some tidying up to do. What do you think about the colours in Berenur and Kamurikandam? Any other comments. Hope to get it finished before Xmas.
      Nibirum - Mercator revised.PNG
    Awesome! :-)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

This is really quite nice Quenten. I can't wait to see how it looks when you are done. It will be a nice side addition to the atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Fantastic !
    • CommentAuthorScottA

That's looking really sharp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017

Here is an update, I have increased the mountain and tree symbols, spaced them better, and added a few names around the border - totally fictitious ones of course. I have also done the Continent C - gathar can you let me know if this is reasonably accurate. I still need to redo a few continents as far as symbols is concerned, and of course embark on Doriant. Hopefully finished in a week. Commens and suggestions please.
      Nibirum - Mercator revised2.PNG
    This is awesome!

The light green area of Kumarikandam on this map is a desert.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017

What a wonderful map! Love the names. Hahaha.

What are the letters in the ocean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017

Letters were placers for names of oceans - now done. The desert is fixed, thanks Charles. This is the final copy now, but I will leave it for comments on what needs to be fixed/added/subtracted etc.
      Nibirum - Mercator revised3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Hey Quenten.....Malajuri is spelled with an "a" not an "i" in the middle :) Otherwise, this looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, Lorelei, consider it fixed
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

Maybe a few minor adjustments for some of the place-name labels would be worthwhile - Doriant, Nga-Whenuatoto, Malajuri, Berenur and Kumarikandam aren't perhaps as clear as they might be, for instance. Also "Geographica" in the map title is maybe a bit too "kraken-grappled" currently; reduce the "kraken befriending a ship" symbol a little?

Some of the sea-name labels seem to be in blue and slightly angled (up from lower left to top right) - Doriant and Frigid Oceans - while the others are level and in black. Personally, I'd be inclined to go for "level and blue" in all cases, but standardising on one or the other would work better, I think.

Otherwise excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for those suggestions, Wyvern. I agree about the sea name colours, but may try for Text on a curve for some.I will review the other matters. Again, thanks for these comments - they are just what I want to hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

Here is a revised version. I have used two of Charles' symbols. More comments/suggestions please
      Nibirum - Mercator revised4.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2017

I like it pretty much!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Fantastic !
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Ah, I was working on the assumption you were going for horizontal text throughout. The curved text though looks good. Indeed, it may be worth adjusting the text angles for the Remiralf Sea and Kanein Ocean labels too now to better reflect their extents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Good point about that. I will leave Doriant Ocean and Mango Whake Sea as is though. Then I'll give it another 48 hours unless there are any further suggestions before sending it to Monsen. And thanks so much for your critical eye on all my maps Wyvern, it is very helpful to have someone outside the map to see it with different eyes than my own. keep it up, please.
    This is so cool! :-)

My only note is for Kumarikandam. The light green area on the top left and the yellowish area below it should swap colors since the top terrain is desert and the bottom one is a mix of open grasslands and forests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017 edited

Thanks Charles - however, which regions are you referring to. At present, Malauk Almayta is desert, and so is the region below it, Tiantang, wheras the region above it is just plains/grassland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017

Actually, it appears that it is Tiantang which is the grasslands, while Maluk remains desert (poor things). I have fixed it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Lol! That's okay Quenten. I have survived two brain tumors (from nerve agent exposure in the Gulf War). Sometimes my brain works, sometimes it's doesn't work, and sometimes I only think it works - Lol! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wow, that's incredible that you had these, survived, and turn out such creative stuff. I am in awe, Charles.
    Thanks Quenten!

I have a lot of injuries from the military. I have a 100% disability rating but I am still allowed to work. I just cannot do anything physical. That is actually what got me going on the more artistic stuff. I went from the technical fields such as Information Technology and Business Information Systems to Marketing, Communication Design and Public Relations. I cannot do the math and technical stuff as well as I used to so I had to switch over to concepts and art. So, my injuries have awakened a whole new set of skill sets for me. God always has a plan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well, that is a big silver lining to your health black cloud. You have my admiration and best regards.
    Thanks Quenten! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017

Final version (I hope). I will give this 24 hours, then turn it into Monsen for consideration as an appendage to the official world map of the Atlas. Opinion about the compass rose and scale please. I filched them from the latest annual. Thanks Shessar, for supplying such an inspiring world.
      Nibirum - Mercator revised.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017

Great map, perfect as hand-out for the players.
    The new rose fits better to the overall style of the map.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

The scale bar doesn't really work for me, and I'm not sure this style of Mercator map needs/benefits from one, given the distortions involved. (Though not shown in this version, the circumference graticule marks actually form the ends for the latitude and longitude lines, which other than the two central longitude lines in each circle, and the horizontal equator line, actually form curves of different shape; see the mapping guide to CA 1.)

Can't decide which of the compass roses I prefer now though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: WyvernThe scale bar doesn't really work for me, and I'm not sure this style of Mercator map needs/benefits from one, given the distortions involved.
    It still very useful to indicate the size of the world though, without a scale bar, it is really difficult to appreciate the size of the world. I do agree that the current one isn't the best.
    Your comment made me think about the compass rose though. Give the apparent distortions, isn't a compass rose also very useless? There are only a very few places on the map it is actually correct.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

For the scale bar question, and trying to give a sense of size/scale still, perhaps a simple text line to indicate what the diameter of each circle/planetary hemisphere is would work instead?

Monsen pointed out that:Give the apparent distortions, isn't a compass rose also very useless? There are only a very few places on the map it is actually correct.

To an extent, this is so, but it is more nearly correct for more of the map than a simple linear scale bar. Plus the current option looks more like a star than a compass rose (as I recently mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, a stellar feature fits nicely with the celestial origin of the name Nibirum), as well as growing nicely weirder the closer at it you look. And it looks pretty anyway!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I take your point about the scale bar, and I will instead enter the equatorial circumference (25,000 miles). Which compass rose do you favour (it IS staying in, folks) - the Mercator one or the Cthulhu one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

This has now been sent to Remy Monsen with the Cthulhu compass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Three new great maps from Quenten is now in the atlas. Thanks again for these great contributions.

- World Map - Mercator Style
    - Wexler Region
    - Monsein Town (I need to check that random name generator of Quenten's, seems to generate lots of weird names lately)