Stung by the merge layer!

Argh! This must be a right of CC3+ passage or something. Just spent an hour trying to figure out why some glow effects on some text didn't work at all. Read through the documentation, tried a hundred different settings, reset layer and sheet selection, renamed stuff, ect ect. Finally I see a discussion from last year that talked about the MERGE layer and how it actually holds effect, instead of the layer that the effect is applied to. BINGO. Effect works now. I see several discussions on this board where many have had the same issue.

So to make this a real question and not just a rant, are there other layers/sheets that perform special and not well documented functions that will get me down the road?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You have the SYMBOL DEFINITION layer, where all the symbol definitions are stored. If you hide this, all the symbols in the map will disappear.
    While not as important, the TEMPLATE layer also have a special function, in that it contains a single point on each sheet, since completely empty sheets aren't stored with the drawing. Single points are usually invisible, but some effects my cause them to turn up, so this sheet should normally always be hidden.
  • Yeah, as Monsen mentions the symbol definiiton layer cannot be hidden and still see the symbols. Houses are on multiple layers to. I don't remember, but some other symbols are also on different layers.

Sheet sequnce can also have an effect.

Sea
    Land
    Rivers
    Symbols

The sheets are drawn top down. So the Sea sheet is drawn first.