Mahnheim, WIP

Recently got CC3+ up and running...then my laptop was in an incident involving gravity rendering it out of commission for some time....sooooooo

Here's my first CC3+ map underway. Using Fantasy Worlds from Annual 3, map size is 3000 x 2400 miles, so continent is a shade under this. Still to place forests and other features.

Comments

• Welcome! And this is a very nice start, the rivers are a tad confusing though hehe! You have done them really well, having them join together and not split! But some of the directions are a little off, a river should run straight (not literally lol!)to the sea via the easiest route, I see that whilst you do have most of them going into the ocean, a lot of them join as strange 90 degree angles, or go into mountains which looks a little unnatural. I'm sure someone else on here has much more knowledge about this than I do (and hopefully they will chime in with some useful suggestions!), but I am excited to see how this evolves and what is happening within Mahnheim! :) keep up the good work!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Sheelon :)

Glad you got your laptop fixed! Can't imagine the heart attack it must have nearly given you when it happened.

Like Pixel says that's a great start, but I have to agree about the rivers. I can see that you have two outlets to the sea from the largest lake, and that generally doesn't happen all that often. The rest are possible, even if they do join at some really quite interesting angles.

It might help to imagine river systems as trees, with the twigs and smaller branches in the uplands, and the main branches and trunks in the lowlands - the base of the trunk being the bit that reaches the ocean. Not all rivers are this classical dendritic shape (in fact a good many of them aren't), but its a starting point :)

Well done :D
  • pixelkittehpixelkitteh Traveler
    edited June 2017
    There's a really great tutorial here somewhere but i cant remember where. Ill see if I can find it...
    Helped me when I first started :)

EDIT: this image explains it pretty much - http://i.imgur.com/TNtKWA4.jpg
  • Just to post the actual image Pixelkitteh is talking about, here it is below. Not the river drainage areas, and direction of flow, and lakes having only 1 outlet (though they can have many feeder rivers)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2017
    pixelkitteh mentioned:There's a really great tutorial here somewhere but i cant remember where.
    Perhaps pixelkitteh is talking about Bill Roach's excellent and informative The Rules of Rivers essay.
  • Posted By: Dogtag
    pixelkittehmentioned:There's a really great tutorial here somewhere but i cant remember where.
    Perhaps pixelkitteh is talking about Bill Roach's excellent and informativeThe Rules of Riversessay.
    That's the one! Thanks!
  • SheelonSheelon Newcomer
    Heart attack is not in it Loopysue! Just glad the HDD was still readable and they were able to recover everything.

Thanks all for your comments. I will be keeping them in mind and I hadn't seen that river tutorial previously. I've got 4 Fractal River types added which half in size each time and I've been joining as per the rule (the name escapes me) wherein Size 1 + Size 1=Size 2, Size 1 + Size 2=Size 2, etc. to give ever increasingly large rivers.

I'm looking at this WIP as still at satellite level and the fractal rivers are twisting and turning round small scale rises and falls in the local terrain which are yet to be revealed - I'm planning on doing a zoom in level map to reveal these turns, in addition to smaller rivers and terrain features. In fact I'm very tempted at this point to buy some annuals esp 2012 with Satellite Views and Cutting tutorials - I'm a big fan of doing a map in various scales all the way down to local.

Work continues and thanks for looking

Sheelon
  • Sounds great! Looking forward to updates :)
  • 15 days later
  • SheelonSheelon Newcomer
    Pic 2 - trying to get as much done around the trials of RL...!