Re-Learning After Long Absence

A long time ago I used to be pretty proficient (CC2 V6). I've played around a bit since then (one map in CC3 is the latest) but have decided I need to re-learn everything from scratch (or at least mostly). Problem is, there are a BUNCH of user guides, manuals and essentials, plus I bought the Tome of UM. So I've purchased/updated the following and after I install everything, what is the suggested process / guides / tutorials I should go through (and which if any should I bypass)?

I have CC3+, CD3, DD3, SS1v3, SS4, TUM

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Well, I would begin by reading the CC3+ guide first to re-familiarize yourself with the basics because everything else is run off of those basics. After reading the CC3+ manual, then I would jump to the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and read the section on CC3+ and do the tutorials. After you are done with those it all depends on what you want to learn. So if you want to learn to make dungeons, then read the Dungeon Designer 3 manual, then jump to the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and read the DD3 section and follow the tutorials on that. Same goes with every other add on.
  • Alright, sounds good.
    So, the
    1) CC3+ Manual
    2) TUM 3+ basics and tutorials
    3) Then the CD3 or DD3 Essentials along with the TUM tutorials on those topics.

What about the cc3+ Tutorial PDF I have (not sure where from). It uses Schley's styles and is 12 pages long. Is it redundant to the other tutorials or better than or...?

There is also the SS4 Mapping guide, I assume that would be time well spent?

Again, thanks, I know this all sounds basic, but it seems almost overwhelming at first glance :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Since you have the tome, I also recommend reading all of it, even for add-ons you don't own, as you still learn techniques that are applicable in other situations as well.
  • edited June 2017
    You might as well read the 12 page cc3+ tutorial though I wouldn't do that until after you have read the actual users manual. You may find it redundant but you should be able to tell if it is quickly after reading the users manual.

And yes, the SS4 mapping guide is something you should read, especially if you plan on making dungeons. It will tell you how to make a mask which is one of the nicest things for dungeons.
  • Cool, thanks all.

Other than a few adventure and campaign maps, my big personal project is to re-do Undermountain. So yes, dungeons are high on my list :)

I have to say, without this community, I wouldn't have the faith to attempt all this.
  • So I've been happily making progress and going through the tutorials, but have hit on one step that I can't figure out how to do it and the tutorial doesn't give much info...

SS4 guide, page 4, It says to start drawing the cave area and I've got that. But when you look at the example map, there is a really nice set of transitions from the outdoor to the cave portion (see attachment). How was this broken/traced/copied so that the entrance/transition flows from the hill side to the cave. Not just the floor, but of particular interest is the wall.

• For reference, this is what i came up with when I created it.
  • I didn't come up with a solution for the cave mouth, though I do think after I finished creating a wall and mask for the cave it looks better.

Critiques, comments, and advice are requested :)

The things I noticed included; 1) The cave wall trace resulted in a lot of fragment entities when the effects are on. Not sure if I like this or not, or if there is much that can be done about it except to use smooth polygons instead of fractals. 2) I don't like the transition between the dirt and stone on the hillside. It looks better in the tutorial. Is this a result of the glow/shadow effect and would I have to create a new sheet and move one of the fills onto it to get this to look right?

Thanks in advance.
  • Nice work! As far as a nice smooth transition between - you might want to try to Edge Fade Inner above the bevel on that sheet....it should help with the blending b/t sheets
  • Thanks, but I can't really take credit for much. For the most part I just followed the tutorial written for SS4. So whoever wrote that should get the credit along with PF for writing CC3+!

I'll see what I can do with an Edge Fade Inner on that sheet. Thanks for the advice.