Community Atlas - Growler Bay - The Lost Mines of the Desperate Mountains

Getting into incompatible symbols problems. I wanted a simple circular hole where the wood hatch lets down into a square hole. But it doesn't match these floor symbols. The circular hole looks more like the walls. I guess I could build up the walls using the small wall pieces for Issue 66. But I want to get done sooner than that would take.

The big problem is planning ahead. Getting the stairs in is fine, but the wall beside it has to be done first. i have been using undo rather more often than I am used to, but this Iso/Perspectives dungeon is new to me as well.

The low walls for each room, and beside the staircase, are to show they exist as full height ones, but if I made them full height, you wouldn't be able to see the room.

Hopefully this doesn't look too cheesy.

edit: Getting the hole in the wall leading into this area is well its an older perspectives symbol and it looks way off from these symbols. And the opening is dark, when it leads outdoors.

Comments

• I couldn't find the circular hole, but here is a square one and a wall hole, to illustrate the problem.
  • oh this is looking pretty cool, jim! You and Tony really have this Perspectives thing down :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2017
    Interesting... I was going to mention how you should be able to use the Cylinder command in Perspectives (ICYL in the command line) and simply give it a negative depth. That's always produced a round hole. But when I fired it up to double-check before I posted, I found my own copy of PER3 failing to work!

I can make a negative 3D Box (square hole) but not a negative cylinder! Positive values work as expected but if I use a negative value or simply move the mouse down, the end result is nothing but an unfilled outline of the "top" of the cylinder. WORKAROUND: Strangely, I can use the 3D Regular Poly command (IRPOLY) with a value of 90 sides to make a good-looking hole.

Does anyone else have this issue?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: DogtagDoes anyone else have this issue?
    Yes, I can replicate this.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    edited June 2017
    I've been able to do a negative cylinder quite easily, with no issue. However, I've only been able to draw cylinders whose main axis is vertical. I'm with version 3.76 of CC3+.
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, I'm just making a cylinder, along a vertical axis.

Here's the result using a 3D Regular Poly instead. Using Gathar's actual cylinder as a guide, I used 32 sides for the poly.

[Image_8859]
  • edited June 2017
    Interesting. I haven't run into this issue yet. Great looking map so far Jim.
  • Yes, I take my hat off to those who can work in 3D. My brain has too few neurones left to make a decent job of it. Your map looks great, Jim
  • yeah, me too, Q. Sue's brain works like that, too.....her perspective is incredible....i mean you've seen that drawing she did over at the guild? the one she based off the dolomites? freaking amazing. me? everything looks flat. haha. It's all the medical knowledge...crams the brain with critical thinking and the like....leaving no room for amazing talents such as these. lol
  • Second career, as i was a Sales Coordinator and Lab Rep for quite a few years prior to nursing school in my 30's, but yes, i've been a Registered Emergency Nurse for 10 years, Amb. Surg, some Interventional Radiology and most recently left clinical to become Director of Patient Services for a home health agency (where ER nurses go for mental "respite" LOL)
  • Wow. I am retired now, but was Assoc Prof in Radiation Oncology at Royal Brisbane Hospital for over 25 years, treating cancer patients. Enjoying retirement VERY much.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 278 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    Whooosh. Well, Now that I have a better handle on which sheet it shows up on... Getting an entrance door, that shows day light outside, would be good to.
  • Jim, is this map in Basher Bay or Growler bay? I thought it was in the latter. If so, you can edit the heading if you like
  • I looked at several maps trying to decide where I wanted to map, and my brain hiccuped or something. Likely me being tired.
    edited June 2017
    Nothing up my sleeve ! (riiip !) Shades of Bullwinkle J. Moose.

The entrance... well, I think I can fade the two fills, and maybe blend them, to get an entrance that leads out to day light.

The lower right room leads down to a flooded room. The ladder is floating on the water, not touching the bottom of the lower area. Again, the walls are representative, they don't show the full height. The blue cylinder is one I made, I changed the floor from brown to blue 73.

edit: Oh. I tihnk it would be easier for people to see all of the map of these mines, if I make them in parts. What say you all ?
  • Here is the rest, so far. The fake door leads nowhere, or there is a 10 foot drop behind the door. A and B connect to more maps.

I have no idea on how to fix the entrance so it looks better. I had to make a new item to make the blue hole.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This is looking really great, Jim :)
  • Hi Jim,

I think I may have a solution for you.

Get a trapdoor symbol from Perspectives 3, then turn it so the wall is going in the right direction when you look inside the hole. Make sure to put this symbol on a sheet above whatever sheet your wall is on.

Next, make a new sheet and place it above the sheet the trapdoor symbol is on.

Add a blend mode to this new sheet with a multiply 100%.

Change the color in your color box to bright yellow (color #4).

Use the polygon drawing tool to add a yellow polygon just on the inside of the trap door. If you made the polygon too big it will bleed the yellow color out onto the surrounding wall.

Turn on sheets and effects and you should have something similar to this.
    edited June 2017
    Looks cool, Jim. These sorts of maps always put me in a gaming mood.

Some thoughts to consider or ignore:
    • Maybe consider getting rid of the large brown stone wall and the large cobble floor, and let the map "float." Neither the wall nor the floor really matches the dungeon itself and, to me, gives the impression of an artificial container.
    • Unless it's going to obscure part of the map, consider using full walls for the north and east sides ("top left" and "top right") of rooms and corridors. This can help to emphasize the cutaway aspect of the low walls. Since you're using perspectives, you can probably use PER3 wall textures to make creating walls easy (This can also be true for the smaller front/cutaway walls, if you get tired of exclusively using the CA66 symbols.) Admittedly, though, the symbols look nicer than walls drawn with the Wall tools.
    • Some of the walls have one layer ("row") of stone, some have two. Is there a reason for that? In some places it looks like there might be windows. If not, then maybe consider sticking to just one layer of stone for the lowered/cutaway walls.
    • Breaking the map up may or may not aid in viewing it. The coolest maps done in this style seem to be large spidery jobs that go off in multiple directions. You may want to make as much as possible on the one map. It should be easy enough to cut and paste into separate maps if you feel you need to later. Or even, make a "master map" like that and then copy and paste pieces to individual sub-maps if you want to focus on specific areas. No reason you can't have both a full and a set of partial maps, with minimal additional effort.
    Also, if you're looking for more symbols, remember that TJ Vandel's CA111 Temple of Bones was designed to work well with Herwin Wielink's CA66 symbols, and both work nicely with the Wielink style built into Perspectives. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • The multiple wall levels is to show there are walls there. not an open space.

As for removing the walls... in the past I remember folks saying they didn't like the floating corridors and rooms. Adding the two walls and the stone floor is me trying to show they are inside a mountain... if there is a better way, I can try it.

Thanks Tonnichiwa, I'll try that when I can.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Hello Jim, nice map indeed!
    I'm bothered by the colour of the hole in the top room. I really think it should be the same colour as the surrounding stones, not the same as the background.
  • Last year I did a CC3 Perspectives area for my Crestar site. I substituted a bitmap fill I had, but I was trying to limit myself to ones commonly available.

I have been thinking about altering the walls and stone floors, along with that floor hole, to better match the Annual floor pieces. I may have to do some digging around on my hard drive and see what I have found, and what is available in the way of bitmap fills. I do have a set of them on my site, they are linked here as part of my showing how I made contours for my previous Crestar site version. I'll check those over and see if they will work for this.
    Posted By: JimPI'll check those over and see if they will work for this.
    Just make sure if you are using non-standard fills that they can legally be distributed along with the atlas download. It is a requirement for all atlas maps that resources are either from Official CC3+ compatible ProFantasy products, one of the community add-ons listed in the resource sticky, or distributed along with the atlas itself. The latter of course require that the creator is ok with redistribution, even if stuff is free, redistribution usually isn't allowed.
  • I will. The ones I have are free on my site.
    Posted By: JimPThe ones I have are free on my site.
    Just make sure you are legally allowed to give me the rights to redistribute them in the atlas. I need to include the fills with the atlas itself, not just point the users to a download somewhere.
    edited June 2017
    They are Natalya Faden's bitmap fills. But if they don't fit for the changes, I'll have to look for a different source.
    edited June 2017
    Posted By: TonnichiwaHi Jim,

I think I may have a solution for you.

Get a trapdoor symbol from Perspectives 3, then turn it so the wall is going in the right direction when you look inside the hole. Make sure to put this symbol on a sheet above whatever sheet your wall is on.

Next, make a new sheet and place it above the sheet the trapdoor symbol is on.

Add a blend mode to this new sheet with a multiply 100%.

Change the color in your color box to bright yellow (color #4).

Use the polygon drawing tool to add a yellow polygon just on the inside of the trap door. If you made the polygon too big it will bleed the yellow color out onto the surrounding wall.

Turn on sheets and effects and you should have something similar to this.
      I don't get the 'multiply 100%' part. I did the rest, and added a glow on the yellow rectangle. I'll post the png and the fcw.
    • I really do need some help on this.

Note that while I'm not in the strike zone for Tropical Storm Cindy, it might affect my internet connection.
      edited June 2017
      Posted By: JimPI don't get the 'multiply 100%' part.
      Multiply is a setting on the blend mode sheet effect. Blend mode is an effect that controls how the pixels on the current sheet should be blended with the pixels on the sheet below. It is very similar to transparency, but allows for more options on how the pixels are combined.