Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

Hi everyone,

I've been practicing with Perspectives 3 again and I decided to make the first part of a city wall using Perspectives 3, the Isometric Dungeons of Herwin Weilink and Sheesar's door from her perspectives symbol set. I'm actually planning on building up some more city buildings and making a whole city out of this, but for now, this is the first part of the city wall.

Enjoy
      Perspectives City Wall.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I've got Perspectives but not enough time to try it out, so I'll be watching this with interest :)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

i, too, have Perspectives, although i recently removed it due to the crash problems until the update fix....i have not really played around with it yet....can't wait to see how this progresses

Well, hopefully I don't disappoint. I didn't actually buy Perspectives to make dungeons with, even though it seems to be the main feature for the program. I wanted to do Perspective cities. Perspective type cities are my favorite kind of maps. I still go back and look at the one Mike Schley drew for the Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide all the time. I don't know what it is about them but I just cannot get enough of Perspectives type cities.

I'm going to try making some churches and hopefully a magicians school. And definitely a lot of different houses. I might even try a cathedral or a capitol building though I don't now if I can pull that off yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This looks impressive, and I look forward to a city in Perspectives - i can see an annual coming up (yes, this is a BIG hint :) )
    Ohhh I am excited about this, I absolutely love perspectives but have yet to try it out! Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017 edited

@Tonnichiwa: If you have it, you may want to check out CA05 Panicale (May issue, vol 1, 2007). It explains how to use Perspectives to make cities. Also CA74 Perspective Buildings (Feb issue, vol 7, 2013) has some helpful tips in the mapping guide, as well as some very nice tools (symbols and drawing tools) for making Perspectives buildings.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017 edited

Hi Dogtag,

Yup. I have them. I've been reading them for months now trying to figure things out. Now I think I am to the point where I can make a perspectives city, though I am still trying to sort out how they did the land. It is written about in the annual but I have never been able to get CC3+ to do what it says. Every time I try it seems the program crashes and does not want to make a 3d perspective of the hills. So it has been quite a roller coaster ride with the annuals.

I've also been reading the Source Maps Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs, and Source Maps Cities to get hints on it as well.

The one thing that is never explained is how Ralf created the front part of the Mexican village. The part that is curved at the top and serves as the front to a store or something. I still have not been able to replicate it in any perspectives program.

@Quenten, Thanks.

@Pixelkitteh, Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Are you talking about the front of the church in CA74, with the arched portions at the top?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017

(If so, I'd guess it was made from a normal poly or multipoly via 3D Projection and then Extrude, though I admit that's a guess.)

Sorry, yeah, I meant the church. I've been trying to figure out how it was done and I've copied the shape many times and tried to bring it up but just cannot get it. It has been driving me crazy for months as I just can't seem to get it without it extruding some other direction.
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Extrude only works in the z direction, as far as I can tell...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm doing this backwards, I know, since I haven't even started a single Perspectives map yet, but if you extrude something can you rotate it so that the extrusion goes x or y, or is that a really stupid question?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: LoopysueI'm doing this backwards, I know, since I haven't even started a single Perspectives map yet, but if you extrude something can you rotate it so that the extrusion goes x or y, or is that a really stupid question?

Nope, CC3/CC3+ is not a true Iso/3D program. So rotating it might give strange results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017 edited

Posted By: GatharExtrude only works in the z direction, as far as I can tell...

Yeah , that sounds right. In which case Ralf prolly just copied the shape, made the back one a little darker, then drew lines across them. To get a filled poly for the top — if that doesn't give the desired result — you can use Trace to draw the top poly.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017

Hmm. Interesting. I've tried similar things and just couldn't get it to work.

But, here are some buildings I recently made as some test buildings. I'm not sure if I will use all of them but I do like some of them.
      Perspectives City Wall2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I see a perspectives City Annual in the making here, Tony

Well, I didn't really make any of this art using photoshop and that is usually what is in the annuals. The only part I made was the textures for some of the Tudor style homes using Genetica. And then I imported them into the bitmap area.

So I decided I wanted the walls to look a little more uniform so I re created the towers. Here is a new pic with the new towers and some of the buildings scattered about.
      Perspectives City Wall3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Quenten - I said much the same thing over at the Guild just now :)

Tony - these houses are delightful, and I'm so pleased you have branched out to start making your own textures. It adds a lot to the number of different possibilities :D If you are at all worried about whether you can use the textures you make for commercial projects, don't be. Their terms and conditions of use state quite clearly that whatever you render out is entirely yours to do with what you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I.m in awe

Ok so I spent the day making a Cathedral. I could have put more bling on it but for a basic cathedral it isn't too bad. Enjoy.
      Perspectives City Wall4.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017

It's great. I am so impressed
    Very nice work! I have not done anything with perspective yet. :-)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The new buildings are terrific.... but I've already said that over at the Guild.

I think I will stick to commenting on your Guild thread, to support you over there. For simplicity sake I wont' repeat myself over here every single time I say something ;)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017 edited

Very nice! :)

Are the towers bell towers? If so, they should be open to the air (the tops that is)... Just askin'! :)

@ Quenten: Thanks, I hope to make even more like castles and administrative buildings that look like they belong in a middle ages republic with those roman style domes.

@CharlesWayneRobinson: Thanks, hopefully you get to do so in the future. You may not have worked much with perspectives but I love all of the people and creatures you've been making with Character Designer 3.

@Loopysue: Thanks again Sue, ok, that makes sense :)

@JMunson II: Thanks, you know, that is a good point. It hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it. I think I will fix soon.

But before I do, here is another update of what things might look like if I started building a city out of it.
      Perspectives City Wall5.JPG
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017

So I've come up with a few more building styles for Perspectives. Hope you like them :)
      Per 3 Advanced Building Demo Map.JPG
    Wow so much work has gone into this already, it looks fantastic! <3
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Oh Tony, i love these! The WALL is great!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Great !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

That's a lot patience you have there.  :D

@Pixelkitteh: Thanks :) I've been practicing a lot. Now I just have to make a symbol set out of them. And of course, I need more. You can never have enough variety in buildings.

@Lorelei: Thanks. :) Now I just have to figure out how to do different shapes for temples and castles, as well as compounds for Samurai or Kung Fu schools.

@JimP: Thanks :)

@Dogtag: Lol, yep. And you would not believe how many times I have had to start over when I think I have a building built right.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017

Nice stuff! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have been watching your quite brilliant video tutorials - really love them, and recommend them to all.

@JMunsonII: Thanks :)

@Quenten: Thanks Quenten, I appreciate that. I still want to make a video on how to make the more advanced buildings but they take quite a while to make and I don't want to make the video so long that people just get bored watching it.

Maybe I need to just make a few buildings or something. Or maybe very short videos. One for each building type. Not sure yet how to approach this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

1 or 2 buildings in short video would be great, Not that I mind the longer videos.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017

Did you put these up on the Guild? If you did I apologise for missing your post!

These are gorgeous, Tony :D
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017

Wow, great job, Tonnichiwa!
    This must have been a ton of work.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017

@Loopysue:Thanks! No, I haven't put them on the guild yet. I've just been being lazy I guess.

@HadrianVI: Thanks Hadrian VI, it does take a while for the first ones but once you get used to Perspectives everything seems to speed up.
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017

I used a wall section in my video about Perspectives 3 to teach people how to do advanced buildings. After a while it grew on me a little more but I wanted different colored roofs so I re made it and finally got it to the point where it is a castle. Hope you enjoy
      Blue Castle.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017

I can heartily recommend your videos on Perspectives buildings. I have now created a few perspective buildings myself, thanks to you.
    And this castle is magnificent. Perhaps Mad Ludwig's Schwanestein next?!