Recommendations and best practices

Mappers,
I'm finishing up work on a 2 story inn, and I'd like some recommendations.
1. Are there good methods to get the background and water textures not to look tiled? I've tried a few blends and other sheet effects but haven't found any that worked.
2. What are the best practices to make shadows different for different height objects? When I look at the 4 columns (black dots surrounded by gold circles) in the picture below, they have the same shadows as the tables. My instinct is to make a 'tall objects' sheet and apply shadow effects from it.

And any other comments/recommendation on the map are always welcomed.

Thanks,
MstrCat

Comments

• Go to FS, fill style, upper right of CC3/CC3+ and click on that.

Select the Bitmap fills tab. Go to the bitmap that is tiled. Look for the line where it says Scaled. Sometimes unchecking that works, other times you have to adjust the scaling so it looks good.

Click Okay to exit the FS menu when done.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    2. Yes, use different sheets. Remember that symbols choose their own sheets by default, so make sure when you place them that they end up on the right sheet (either turn off this option, or simply change the sheet of the entity after placing it)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2017
    To expand on Monsen's reply, some symbols are placed on sheets with names that start with one or more words but that might vary, such as "SYMBOLS," "SYMBOLS FLAT," "SYMBOLS LOW," and "SYMBOLS TREES." So, in this case, you'd want to name the new sheet something like, "SYMBOLS TALL." If you switch to the sheet you want before you click/place one of these symbols, it will place correctly on the sheet you selected as long as it matches the pattern. In the case I just mentioned, the pattern is SYMBOLS* (any sheet name that starts with the word, "SYMBOLS").

Again, not all symbols do this, but it doesn't hurt to select the sheet before you place the symbol — just keep an eye on the sheet in the status bar. If it changes when you click/place the symbol, then you know you'll need to change the sheet afterward, as Monsen mentioned. I believe the default pillars symbols do do this, though.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    To add a further scrap of detail, things like rugs and doormats go on the SYMBOLS FLAT sheet, which doesn't have a shadow on it at all.