Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017 edited

Sue gave a link to the drawing below, and I was so taken with it, that I decided I would turn it into a CC3+ map, and put it in the Atlas. The question is where. I need a feudal type society, and someone who has already drawn a regional map I can fit it into. So while I do this map, can you put your thinking caps on and make suggestions. That includes the Magnificent Monsen and Dogged Dogtag. :D
      Plan_mediaeval_manor.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Great idea, Quenten. I really liked that map when I zipped over to that linked page, myself, though I figured I'd just use it as a reference. Making a CC3 map out of the original should be a lot of fun.

Out of curiosity, why do you need the larger maps (i.e., continent, regional, etc.)? Why place those limits on yourself? The manor is small enough that it should be able to fit into nearly any regional map. In fact, why not just do what the original map does and make it a "typical feudal manor" map? That way anyone using the atlas could just plop it down in any other map they choose? The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (FRIA) did this with some of it's maps, to great effect.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

Also, if you're concerned about linking it somewhere from another atlas map, is that entirely necessary? Even if it is, couldn't that simply be done later, after you've done the map and you, or Monsen, or someone suggests a parent link?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well I was going to do the map regardless. I just would like it to be linked to someone's are. I could, at a pinch, put it in Peredur (Artemisia's cultures are not typical feudal) but I would like it to go on someone else's map, if possible. But as you say, in the end, we can decide that when it is finished. Thanks, O Dogged Dogtag. ;)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Um... It wasn't me, Quenten.

I can't remember who it was either.

Just checked - it was Barliman :)

I gave a link to an aerial photograph of Portland Bill, taken by the Luftwaffe in the early stages of WWII ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

I'm pretty sure you can just ask Monsen to reserve an area on any map. No one needs permission from another contributor to make a sub-map of any other map on the atlas. As I understand it, Monsen would just like the "heads-up" before anyone begins a map so he can help to prevent two conflicting versions of the same location. I presume you could just pick a spot, so long as someone else hasn't already reserved it. I could be wrong — I'm not involved with the atlas — but that's my understanding, based on the stickied atlas discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Loopysue pointed out:Um... It wasn't me, Quenten.

I can't remember who it was either.

Back in ta minute or two when I've found the thread :)

You and Barliman both posted URLs to examples nearly right after each other. This map is from Barliman's link to Wikipedia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Okey dokey. First time I have ever been wrong. Oh dearie me. :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Forlorn Archipelago is feudal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Great JimP, I'll put it there - which island do you suggest (perhaps either Justice or Fisher)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017 edited

Since a manor is a bit tricky to link from a large-scale map, may I suggest putting it in Basher Bay or Growler Bay then? We could just link a small area from here which would go to the manor grounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017

Basher Bay it is
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017

Works for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

A start (rough) on the Manor map in Basher Bay
      Manor.JPG
    • CommentAuthorTopdecker
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Are you going to try to cut it up with fences, stone walls, hedge-rows, discernable terracing, or otherwise try to make those funny shaped fields develop on the map? Because that sounds work intensive :)

Also, I would image that the manor house would be on the high-side of the stream, looking down on the village and the minions toiling there.

Tim
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Right on both counts. I just wanted to get the map started by laying down the various backgrounds. Fields, more detail on the houses, and a small hill will come soon (I hope)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime9 hours ago

This is coming on nicely - can't wait to see what you make of the strip lychetts :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime9 hours ago

Or what the strip lychetts make of me!