Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited

So i've been super busy with RL the last week or so and i've hit a bit of cartographer's block after my Pelgrane commission maps, so to speak. I need a bit of a break to recharge my creative flair....so i'm working on things that DON'T require too much creative input on my part - such as Dwyan Village located in Dworn - Hadrian's super map

Here's something i played around with yesterday.....thoughts? comments? critiques? Any ideas or input on how i can improve those fields??
      Village of Dwyan.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

For lack of 'creative input', this is pretty bonza :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

What Quenten said :)

You might consider making the fields less regular perhaps? I tend to use at least 3 sheets for different colours of field to make them more of a patchwork, and I also make the hedges and fences very variable in width - a few tree width pieces, and a few that might as well only have a weedy bit of barbed wire or an overgrown wooden fence.

I don't know what fields are like in the US or Italy, but over here the boundaries are highly variable, bordering on chaotic. The only place they are at all tidy is down the sides of the roads where field meets road, and that's only because the local council come along and mercilessly chop everything back and down with their horrible tractor powered hedge cutters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

In Oz, the barbed wire fence reigns supreme. :) Not very medieval
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Oh, this is beautiful. Thank you for contributing this:)
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

If I remember right, medieval agriculture used "strip farming," so the fields should be long, narrow rectangles, with about a third left fallow. There's a good map here to show how "crazy quilt" if could be: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-field_system#/media/File:Plan_mediaeval_manor.jpg
    Great information Barliman. :-)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited

If you scroll down to image 69 on this page...

http://www.hitlersukpictures.co.uk/index.php?page=default-extensions

... you will see an actual photograph of medieval style strip lychetts on the Isle of Portland that survived until WW2. As far as I know - the last surviving example in the UK. This image was taken by the Luftwaffe, and the resultant bombing practically destroyed the strip lytchetts.

The Lychetts are gone now, but they were around until so recently that many people actually remember them, and even worked on them as children with their parents.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

Thanks guys....i'll try to re-work the fields over the next week or so.
    Posted By: QuentenIn Oz, the barbed wire fence reigns supreme. :) Not very medieval

Where I live they're all either wood & wires, or even more commonly (and much older) made from stones pulled up when first ploughing the fields :) I particulalry love that idea, useful and it looks good, although most of them are crumbling now!

Lorelei - this is really cute, I love the little village feel it has going :) and I like how many fields you have, it gives it a really nice community vibe.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017 edited

Ok, i made some changes, added a few things and some labeling.....thoughts on the fields? Any better?
      Dwyan_1.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

I like them, they just appear a bit dark to me. But this is a matter of taste, I guess. Still a very lovely village, and will inspire me for my next village
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

Oh they're much better :)

Lovely map - as usual :D
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017

Okay, i lightened up the fields and moved around the text some. I think this is the final version and will send it to Remy later tonight
      Village of Dwyan small.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017

Lovelei, Lorelei
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

This is a wonderfully beautiful map Lorelei! I love it! You did a fantastic job on the fields.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017 edited

Shadows adjusted (i think) :) Eagle Eye? What say you?
      Village of Dwyan small2.png
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Thanks all :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Totally gorgeous :D
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

<---- quickly, surreptitiously, quietly, stuffs Mr. Jealous Mapper back in the box...

Uhm, yeah, wonderful! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Lorelei asked:Shadows adjusted (i think) :) Eagle Eye? What say you?

They look great! But my failing eagle eyes tell me the small, tan building just up and to the right of #5 (just above the... well?) still needs its benevolent deity to flip/rotate its shady roof.  :-B And there's something really weird going on with the roof shadows on the main building by #5. I don't know if there even is a way to rotate that so that light falls on it correctly. We should probably just assume they used two different kinds of wood when building it.  ;)

I'm really *ahem* diggin' the fields.  :D

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Now that Dogtag mentions it, there are quite a few buildings with different shade directions
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Posted By: Dogtag
    Lorelei asked:Shadows adjusted (i think) :) Eagle Eye? What say you?

They look great! But my failing eagle eyes tell me the yellow building just up and to the right of #5 (just above the... well?) still needs its benevolent deity to flip/rotate its shady roof.:-BAnd there's something really weird going on with the roof shadows on the main building by #5. I don't know if there even is a way to rotate that so that light falls on it correctly.

I'm really*ahem*diggin' the fields.:D

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

I THINK the problem is that i mirrored the symbol and FLIPSHADING? Anyway, i changed symbols that fit in the space and i think it's okay now. AND a few of "pre-shaded" symbols required some mirroring, too, since their shadows aren't always cooperating with Global Sun settings :) Thanks, as always! I see what you did there.... (if i could figure out how to put in those awesome emojis i'd add a few here)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017

Dwyan Village is now available in the atlas. Thanks for another great contribution Lorelei.
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017

I know that I am late to this, but should some of the trees have shadows?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017 edited

Posted By: pvernonI know that I am late to this, but should some of the trees have shadows?

Thanks, pvernon, although all the trees have shadows - if you look at the high res or .fcw they are there. I just don't care for the directional shadows - as they give you a giant "blob" of shadow that i am not fond of. I like to use a drop shadow, and most of the larger trees are "branchy" (if thats even a word, lol) and the shadow is more intricate and realistic in my opinion, yet a bit harder to see in a small pic version :) Dogtag pointed out a few and i tried adjusting as best i could without starting to dislike the look of the shadows. Some of the smaller bushes and lower fat tree, like the firs, have a short, fat directional shadow.

And, i made the map to my own preferences, but of course, anyone is welcome to the .fcw on the atlas and change it as you like ;)
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017

As it should be!