Commissioned Village Map - Texture Artifacts

Hi

I made a commissioned maps but when rendering in 4k I encountered some artifacts in the textures I've used.
I'm not sure on how to resolve it. What seems odd is that the artifacts occur along the same lines although I use the texture in different angles.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Does that correspond to the edge of the tile?

I use Textures.com as well. If you have GIMP open the texture in that and use Filter/Map/Small tiles to tile the image in its own space (a factor of 2 with produce 2x2 tiles of the texture in the same space as the original). That way you can see if it doesn't tile properly because the joins are obvious as a cross hair of sharp lines similar to the sharp line joins I can see above in your map.

The other thing about Textures.com is that not all of their textures tile. They mark the ones that do with a little icon thing that appears in the top right corner (as far as I remember). You can also click the 'show seamless only' button at the top right of the display page to get rid of the ones that don't.
  • I have this problem too, would love to know the answer. Happens with the default bitmaps fills for me :( only visible when you export the map.
    Oh that's VERY strange. I haven't had any problems like that. It sounds like something is wrong with the tiling setup. I'm just in the middle of rendering a very large piece of paper at the moment for someone else, but when I've done that I'll open CC3+ and see if I can duplicate the problem by messing with some of the settings.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yeah, it just looks like the edges don't line up for tiling. Not vertically at least.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    These are rendering artifact causes by CC3 failing to origin the fills properly on each rendering pass. Try to increase the number of pixels per pass.
    Check Sue's recipe near the end of this thread:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6470

This doesn't eliminate the problem, but generally reduces the chance of it appearing, since the rendering is done in fewer passes.
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Thank you for your responses.

I only use seamless textures therefore they should tile nicely.

I'll try increasing the number of pixels per pass.
    Thank you.
    That would certainly explain why I've never had this problem, since I've never had cause to reverse the changes that Ralph suggested ;)
    It worked! The artifacts in the textures are gone. But now I have a problem with the lighted bevel effects on the hills. They do now render differently than expected.
  • Sorry to hijack but does anyone know what is causing these weird lines when i export my map?
  • Appears to be only on the land sheet, removing effects got rid of it... so I'm going to assume it was one of them >_<
    As far as I see, I eliminated all the usual suspects, such as two sheets with the same fill style on top of each other.
    But I still get this kind of render. How do I prevent that?

Reverse what I just did?
    When you say 'that' what do you mean? The round marks to the north, or the vertical line to the east - or maybe both?
    Both:D it is supposed to be a curved slope facing south/west:P
    Dimples that move around, appear and disappear as you zoom in and out of the map?

What are you bevelling? Is it a transparent fill with a blend mode?
    It is one sheet. I use a bevel lighted effect and a edge fade inner effect with an opacity level of about 80, I think. Is it because of this?
  • edited June 2017
    What is your anti-alias set to? Try to keep it at 1% - that made all the difference with my Skorra map, which was giving me the same line artifact seen here
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure the method I was going to suggest would work anyway, if your using transparent fills in the bevelled polys, so I hope what Lorelei has suggested works.

If the bevel effect proves too unruly to control, you can produce really good hill shading just by drawing the shadow shapes in black solid and using first a blur effect to soften the edges of the shapes, then a blend mode - I usually use multiply - at the same opacity as you would set for an ordinary shadow.

The relief shading for Merelan City was done that way, as are the cliffs in my most recent Scribble Rock map.

No bevels in this map - only the type of shading I've just described:

[Image_8816]

To make hills rather than cliffs just use a bigger blur effect to give it much softer edges ;)
    @Lorelei: Thank you for your advice.

@Sue: That is some very nice shading:)

I think I figured it out. I used a rather high smoothing value, because of which edges such as the ones on the picture above should not occur. Therefore, I figured, that the smoothing value was somehow connected to the "pixels per render" value. I increased the smoothing value by the factor 10 and hid the "cover" sheet and it worked. From this point I had to render it 6 more times until I had the other settings tuned so the map would look the way I want. The only problem I have now is that the map looks a lot different in CC3 than when rendered... But at least I managed to get the result I wanted.:)

Thank you guys a lot for your assistance.