Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017 edited

Hi, here I am again meddling in that terrific Forlorn Archipelago, this time mapping the whole of Fisher Island, hoping more will be inspired by JimP's concept of a chain of islands in balance against the forces of light and darkness.
    I'm using the Ancient Realms style, Annual 2015, issues 106 and 107. I'll be putting a number of icons on, but better placed so you can see the landscape as well
      Fisher Island2.JPG
    Love this style! I'm currently using it to map my first continent in my world :) this looks great so far Quenten, I especially like how you've done the mountains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

I used Sort Symbols in Map under the Symbols thingy. So I could place my peaks where I wanted them, then add the smaller mouintains and hills around them. That command gets rid of nasty overlaps.
    I'll have to try this... Placing mountains is something I struggle with.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

Posted By: pixelkittehI'll have to try this... Placing mountains is something I struggle with.

I think it's a hard thing to learn for many people, me included. :) "Sort Symbols" is a lifesaver.
    Just tried sort symbols for the first time... OH. MY. GOD. I wish I had known! This truly is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017 edited

This is the penultimate map I hope - just text to go. Any comments, esp from JimP, would be very welcome at this stage
      Fisher Island3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

Nice going Quenten - looking great :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Very nice application of this drawing style, Quenten! I love the call-outs.

Two small criticisms? The text labels for the lighthouses(?) and castle(?) around Basher Bay are way too small to read clearly. I recommend increasing their size until they can be easily read without zooming, maybe moving the Basher Bay label a little to the left. Also the plain, sans-serif font for the labels of The Temple of the Horned God and the (elves) note in Starshine forest are a little jarring.

Something else I really like is how you used different colors for Basher and Fisher. Just a little color can say a lot. Would it make sense to change the color of the towers outside of Fisher?

This is a really nice map. I'm looking forward to learning the names for the different location icons you called out!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Dogtag, I will increase the size of the font, and also change the sans serif font. . I will also change the colour of the towers, I did overlook that. Really appreciate the criticism - it will make for a better map
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks good to me, I see forests, marshes, and swamps. Oh My ! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is my final version. As usual, I'll let it fester here for 24 hours, and if no suggestions for improvement come my way, I'll send it to Monsen with some brief Map Notes. Thanks especially to JimP who deigned this area of the Forlorn Archipelago, I hope I have given some inspiration for more maps on the island
      Fisher Island4.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017

Some of the text could be larger, but otherwise great !
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Another great contribution!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks guys and gals. I don't want to make the text larger, Jim, otherwise I think it will take over the map.
    Well Map Notes today, then off to Monsen
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017

So will the Map Notes be the Pnakotic Manuscripts?

[And SAN rolls all round for any who dare read them...]
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

LOL. The name came from one of H.P.Lovecraft's stories. And yes, they will be mentioned. Just a wonderful suggestion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017 edited

Just out of curiosity, but who in their right mind would live in "Target Castle?" Talk about a deathwish.  ;) :))
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The name can mean many things... it targets bad guys, storms target it, at one time it was an archery range before it became a castle, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017 edited

Thanks for your contribution Quenten. Fisher Island is now in the atlas.
    Love the names in this, looks great, awesome work Quenten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

Wyvern, I hope you like the references to the Pnakotic Manuscript in the notes - a good hook for adventures, I hope. And I would love people to map some of the locations on this map. THE HORNED GOD LIVES!
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Posted By: QuentenWyvern, I hope you like the references to the Pnakotic Manuscript in the notes - a good hook for adventures, I hope.

Oh yes! Despite the fact I see you also have me pluralised and listed as an "undesirable monster"...

King Kuranes will not be impressed, however!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Very nice work, Quenten. That's a truly beautiful map.

I was thinking about getting that annual for the Ancient Realms style, and I think you have convinced me to do so.:D