HTML output to CC3+

Hello All,

I created a world in FT3 (v3.0.20) and exported it to multiple files (File => Export World => Multiple Files). I opted for 4 levels and each level was at 2 x 2 with image resolution at 600 (the default was 384).
So I opened up the main html page and drilled down to the following path:
file:///C:/Users/craigbert/Desktop/fractal_export4Layers/E003007.html
I assumed that I would then be able to open the equivalent file in the directory in CC3+, but instead all I get is the rivers layer.
So what is the "mapping" between the HTML file and the CC3+ file that I can open?

Thanks,

Craigbert

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The CC3 map (assuming you also check the generate cc3 files option) will cover the same area as the image exported along with the html files, but the detail included depend on the export settings you chose. This box pops up when you enable the generation of CC3 files, and the CC3 file will depend on the export setting chosen here. (Also remember to zoom extents when you first open the .fcw file afterwards).
  • Hi Monsen,

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I am sure I am doing something wrong.
    Attached is my source image.
  • Here is what I am getting when I open it CC3+
  • I have tried zooming in/out/extents and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts about where I a going wrong?

Thanks.
    hmm. That looks really weird. Are any of the sheets and/or layers hidden in CC3+?

I am not sure why it would look like that, the Basic 100 export setting should certainly provide some contours. Do you see the same results if you just do a regular File -> save campaign cartographer file (using the same export settings) instead of the multiple file export? Is it any different if you have your whole world visible vs zoomed in to that area? What happens in a different FT3 world using the same export setting? What happens if you try a different export setting, like basic 1000 contours or altitude high detail?
    Lots of questions, but I am a bit unsure why this happens, so I want to try to narrow it down a bit.
  • Hi Monsen,

Don't worry about all the questions ~ I am total n00b at using this tool. I have gone through some of the tutorials, but there is still so much that is not covered. That is in part why I think FT3 is wonderful! :)

Monsen said "Do you see the same results if you just do a regular File -> save campaign cartographer file (using the same export settings) instead of the multiple file export? "
    No. Please see attached.
  • Hi Monsen,

Here is some additional info:

Monsen asked "Is it any different if you have your whole world visible vs zoomed in to that area?"
    Not 100% sure what you mean by that so I tried:
    1) Running the export while I was zoomed into that area and I got nothing. It is just a blank white area.
    2) Zooming into the area after it properly loads into CC3 and it worked fine.

Monsen asked "What happens in a different FT3 world using the same export setting?"
    This will take me a little while to test. This was using a depth of "4" so it takes some time. I will let you know the end result.

Monsen asked "What happens if you try a different export setting, like basic 1000 contours or altitude high detail?"
    I will try this and let you know.

Thanks again for your help!
  • Zooming out, using zoom extents in the upper right corner of CC3/CC3+, will show the entire planet.

Sometimes FT3 exports, when imported as a fcw file into CC3/CC3+, shows a small bit of the map.
    Posted By: craigbertMonsen said "Do you see the same results if you just do a regular File -> save campaign cartographer file (using the same export settings) instead of the multiple file export? "
    No. Please see attached.
    Posted By: craigbert
    Monsen asked "Is it any different if you have your whole world visible vs zoomed in to that area?"
    Not 100% sure what you mean by that so I tried:
    1) Running the export while I was zoomed into that area and I got nothing. It is just a blank white area.
    hmm... Those results are definitely quite weird. I am really curious how the other two tests turn out though.

Do note that I generally consider the multiple file export quite useless, because exporting the areas using fixed sizes just end up generating a lot artificial divisions. I prefer to export each area individually, and according to an artificial grid. And then proceed to map the interesting area in more detail, instead of a flat detail export of the whole world in chunks. But that still doesn't address the problem why the export was blank when zoomed in to an area and doing the export.