How to export a detailed map from FT3? Two samples attached.

The image on the left is a finely detailed Fractal Terrains map. The image on the right is what I see after exporting to CC3. I have read the Help guide and tweaked a variety of export settings, but I am still unable to reproduce what I'm seeing in FT3. Is it a matter of incorrect sheet effects? I have fiddled with sheet effects, as well, to no avail. Can you help me recreate my FT3 map in CC3?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What you are seeing in the FT map is the relief shading effect, which sadly can't be exported. The colour shading the contours is also blended together.

There is a high level of detail in your CC3 map - you can see that in the wiggliness of the coastline and the countour lines. If you want to have even more detail you will need to create or edit one of the export settings so that you have more frequent contours - say every 50 metres instead of 500, or whatever they happen to be currently set at.

I was also disappointed the very first time I realised that the relief shading wasn't something I could export to CC3, but if you set up the FT world in greyscale where the ocean is white, and the land rises from mid grey to white, then export a PNG image, it is possible to turn the exported png into a texture, which you can impose on the CC3 map by filling a map-sized rectangle with it, scaling the fill, x and y separately till it fits, then adding a multiply blend mode to the sheet that its on.
  • Thanks, Loopysue, for your insight. Yes, that's too bad about the relief shading. I will experiment with the frequency of contours.

Thanks again!
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I encountered the same issue very early on and was very disheartened by it, as well. Maybe one day ProFantasy can address this issue with some sort of software add-on or patch? Maybe as an annual? That would be a great addition to my (and many users', I assume) CC3+ toolbox! Just imagine being able to produce those beautifully-detailed FT maps and then take them right into CC3+ "as-is" to add all your symbols and details?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    It is already possible to do it - as a bitmap fill like I described, and it works pretty well.

I haven't got one that I can show you right now, but give it a try.

The trickiest bit is setting up the terrain colours in FT3. I lead you a bit up the garden path earlier. Once you have already exported your coloured map as above, set the terrain colours to white, and work with the intensity settings to accentuate the relief shading (I multiplied it by 10 here).

Then export a png into a separate folder in the Bitmaps folder, import it as a bitmap fill from CC3+ - without creating any other resolutions, make a new sheet called FT3 RELIEF (or something you won't forget), select the fill and scale it to the exact x and y units of your map, then draw a rectangle of the relief fill over the whole map (the same size as the map), and add a multiply Blend Mode effect to the FT3 RELIEF sheet.

There are a couple of side effects, like the fact that it can dull down the colours of the underlying Sheets, but if you really want your CC3 map to look exactly like the FT3 map, its probably the easiest way to do it.

It works because the effect of using a multiply mode is to remove all the white from the fill, leaving only the shadows. Using the percent opacity in the Blend Mode, you can then adjust the hill shading to a level you prefer.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    Expect for my Traveller planet maps, I use the FT3 exports as guides.

You might look at Natalya Faden's Oljan maps and textures these maps and see the bitmap fills she used to create contours.

Here is the page for my template, the color chart, and the bitmap files I used. While I don't use these anymore, it is an interesting way to add contours to a map using her bitmap fills.

Ah, I had href in there twice. It should work now.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    JimP: Your first link is very, very broken.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    What I meant, Sue was a patch or add-on that would allow a map generated in FT to be saved into CC3+ as a CC3+ map with one click exactly as rendered in FT so that you could then use the drawing and editing tools of CC3+ to work on your FT map. I've imported FT maps into CC3+ as insert drawing and such but haven't tried your way, but am going to at the first opportunity. Still, what I'd like to see is a simple, one-click button that does it without all the rest of the saving and manipulating and changing formats and such. That's what I meant by hoping one day to get a software patch. Yes, it is (mostly) possible now, I'd just like it to be quicker and easier with fewer steps involved.
  • I agree with ScottA: We need a "what you see is what you get" option to export FT3 into CC3+.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2017
    The main problem here is that FT3 and CC3(+) are two very different programs in almost all aspects. For example, FT keeps track of the height of every point in the world, while CC3(+) doesn't really have the concept of height at all. Transferring the same detail level as the relief contains, would result in tens of thousands of different polygons to represent it, and the file would be basically uneditable in CC3+. CC3+ has a very different view on information, and the two programs aren't really compatible.

You can use tricks (like Sue showed) to import the ft map as a background texture, but that only works if you wish to use the map exactly as it was in FT, and only throw some symbols on it, once you want to edit the landmass, you get into problems.

The intention behind FT's export to CC3 feature is to be able to get the same landmass into CC3 (coastline, rough height), but not the exact same visuals. I can see why some people may want this, but because of the differences in the core functionalities of these programs, that is a difficult task (at least as long as you want an editable CC3+ map)

There are a couple of interesting annuals to check out though. Still not the exact FT3 look, but they give interesting options:

Shaded Relief maps
    Climate Textures
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Yes, I did realize that FT and CC3+ run completely differently, so I guess my comment was more wishful thinking than an actual request.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    You can also save the FT3 image that's visible in the FT window and insert that image into the background of a map. That way you get the full information from the FT3 display at the cost of not being able to do anything with the drawing but annotate the image in CC3+. You can also export the view as a CC3+ drawing and as an image, inserting the image into the CC3+ drawing (that way you get to keep any coastal contours, rivers, and grids).

Loopysue's suggestion allows some editing in CC3+, but it's fairly limited as far as changing land shapes.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    When I need to edit a FT image in CC3+ I just insert it on a TRACE sheet over top of everything else, manually trace it and then hide or delete the TRACE sheet. A little tedious, but it works to get the outline, and I can make indications of where I need changes in elevation and terrain and then add all that with fills and symbols. Again, not perfect, but it generally results in what I need.
  • Posted By: ScottAWhen I need to edit a FT image in CC3+ I just insert it on a TRACE sheet over top of everything else, manually trace it and then hide or delete the TRACE sheet. A little tedious, but it works to get the outline, and I can make indications of where I need changes in elevation and terrain and then add all that with fills and symbols. Again, not perfect, but it generally results in what I need.
    I basically do that, make any changes as i go, to get the final result. Crestar's Northern Hemisphere was done that way.