CC3+ Break Tool Crashes The Program

I've been working on a world-scale map. All was going well until I wanted to loop something from one side of the map to the other.
First plan was simply to copy the landmass to the other side and then line up along the border where the land should be. That worked... except for when I went to convert to a JPEG.

"Okay," thought I, "I'll find a way of splitting the land so I can stay withing the border of the map."

I tried the split tool. And it does nothing.
Okay, it does. It leaves me with a green outline where my landmass was.

"Okay..." I continued, "I'll try the break tool instead."

And I did.
Which caused the program to crash.

"That's odd, maybe it was just a coincidence."

Suffice to say, after 40 minutes of progressively louder cursing, it wasn't a coincidence.
Is this a known issue with CC3+, or am I just unlucky?
Are there any fixes?

Cheers in advance,
Ashes.

EDIT:
For further clarification, the app crashes as soon as I finalise the use of the Break tool.
>Left click break tool
>Left click landmass
>Left click to select break from
>Left click to select break to
>Crash
>Repeat

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Is this landmass exported from FT, or have you used a high degree of fractalization on it? Sometimes, if an entity contains a huge amount of nodes, some commands can fail on it.

I'll suggest trying the Reduce Nodes [REDN] command on the landmass, and see if break works then.
    Otherwise, from what you describe, split works fine though. Split and break are really close in behaviour, the only difference is that break takes a chunk out of the entity, while break places a zero-width break in it, but you can use break two times to isolate a section, and then simply erase that section. Note that the thin line you describe is normal. When you break or split a polygon, it is no longer a closed polygon, only a path, so there won't be an area to fill. After splitting/breakign an entity and trimming away the parts you don't want, you have to use Path to Poly [CLOSEPATH] on the entity to close it and turn it back to a filled polygon.

I also noticed you mentioned you felt the need to do this because you had trouble when saving it to a .jpg? If the problem is that the image simply contains more than you would like (the part of the landmass extending beyond the border), you can simply save it using Rectangular jpg instead, this will allow you to define exactly which part of the map to save. (I also recommend using png, not jpg, as png is lossless)
  • The landmass was created in CC3+, and it has a fair amount of fractalization on it. Reducing the number of nodes destroys the quality of the landmass - to a point where I'd rather just draw a new one.
    Split doesn't do anything for me, just turns the outline green and then disappears. Break does work on smaller landmasses, thanks for the tip about using [CLOSEPATH], although when using break half of the landmass always disappears and is irretrievable - is this normal?

And having just looked at the save options, I have to admit I'd totally missed the option to save only what was within the map border, so thanks for pointing that out to me as well.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LostInAshesalthough when using break half of the landmass always disappears and is irretrievable - is this normal?
    Break have you select a start/end point for the break, everything between those two points are removed, nothing else should be. But remember that when you use CLOSEPATH on it, the closing line will go straight from the end node to the start node, it won't "fill in" anything to fit with your map border or similar. But you can use Insert Node [INSNODE] to manually insert additional nodes to create corners and such.