Starting with no sheets

I have found that when I make certain maps, like wilderness or even city maps that removing all of the premade sheets and adding my own as I build the map has given me more control over the process for some reason. Is there a way to start a map in any style and specify you want only the background and map border sheets? It just seems like I have more control when I create the sheet from scratch, apply it to a layer and all of that. It also helps with my organization in a big way as many times I don't use all the sheets a style provides.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You'll need to make your own template. Basically, create a new map from an existing template, make the changes you need, then save it as a template to @Templates\Map type. If you save it inside the Wizard folder inside the map type folder, it will appear as a choice in the new map wizard, and assuming you didn't break anything when making your changes, changing backround and map size in the wizard should still work just fine. Look inside the wizard folder for a couple of extra files that should be present for each template (description and thumbnail. Not strictly necessary, but recommended)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What is meant by applying a Sheet to a Layer?
  • Posted By: LoopysueWhat is meant by applying a Sheet to a Layer?
    In working with the program I have noticed that the pattern seems to be that layers contain sheets and sheets contain objects. For example the layer land can have the sheets grassland, swampland, desert and wetlands all under the land layer. While the sheet wetlands could contain terrain representing a swamp and symbols of swamp plant life or other things within that sheet. So when I say applying a sheet to a layer I mean that the sheet is being assigned under or within that layer if that makes any sense.
    Posted By: kevbeck43I have noticed that the pattern seems to be that layers contain sheets and sheets contain objects.
    No, that is not correct. Sheets and layers are not connected to each other in any way. Both sheets and layers are ways of organizing entities, and an entity is always on both a sheet and a layer. Layers are a way of logically grouping entities, while sheets are used to determine order of entities (what goes on top of what) as well as effects. And while entities on the same sheet are also often located on the same layer, thats just because it is often natural that entities that belong to the same ordering also belong to the same logical grouping, but it isn't really connected.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Remy :)

I was worried that I'd somehow missed a major point about layers and sheets.

I'm afraid the layers in my maps are usually quite a horrible mess, since I don't tend to notice which layer I'm putting things on. I will try to make sure that I do something about that for the FCW of my Community Project city map, so that it makes sense to people who use layers a lot more than I do ;)

Kevbeck - don't worry - I get the layers thing a bit confused in my head a lot of the time - with a few brief flashes of understanding thrown in now and then! LOL!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2017
    "Layer" is an unfortunate naming choice. It really ought to be called "Category" or something similar ("groups" are a different concept, so not that). I blame technically-brilliant but linguistically-lacking CAD programmers. But think of Layers as categories or, to borrow from the modern online world, tags. The restriction is that a given entity can only be on one layer.

One beauty of layers is that they can group/organize entities across multiple sheets. So you can have, for example, a VEGETATION layer, with all your tree, bush, shrub, and other plant symbols. This lets you put trees on a TREES sheet with a long shadow effect, while also having bushes on a BUSHES sheet (or whatever) with a smaller shadow. But you can still easily select or hide all of these vegetation symbols simply by selecting or hiding the layer, no matter what sheet they're on.

The same idea works in reverse, too. You can put all your buildings on a BUILDINGS sheet while also sorting them into different layers. This is used extensively in City Designer. So you can keep them all on the same BUILDINGS sheet but easily show or hide — or select — different building layers, such as BUILDINGS INNS, or BUILDINGS HOUSES, or BUILDINGS GUILDS, etc.

That's just one example. Also, you can freeze a layer to prevent yourself from accidentally editing or deleting things on the layer.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThanks Remy :)

I was worried that I'd somehow missed a major point about layers and sheets.

I'm afraid the layers in my maps are usually quite a horrible mess, since I don't tend to notice which layer I'm putting things on. I will try to make sure that I do something about that for the FCW of my Community Project city map, so that it makes sense to people who use layers a lot more than I do ;)

Kevbeck - don't worry - I get the layers thing a bit confused in my head a lot of the time - with a few brief flashes of understanding thrown in now and then! LOL!
    Yeah, my first 2 thousand maps had the layers all mixed up. My new maps I have tried hard to make sure vegetation went on vegetation layers, buildings went on structures layers, etc.
  • Sorry Loopysue,

That is just how I think about the relationship. It might not be actually how its programmed. It just works for me to think about that way.

Monsen, I was able to make the template and I can click on it fine from within the template/dungeon folder but it won't come up as an option in the wizard. Are there specific sheets that you cannot delete for it to work in the wizard. Plus I made a template from an annual style. Could that be the reason. I guess I don't need to have it in the wizard since the template does work but it would be nice.
    Did you put your template into the wizard subfolder?
  • Yes I did and I got it to work. I just wasn't on the right path when looking for the template during the wizards creation. Now it works perfectly. Thanks Monsen.