Random Cities Sheets Walls

Are the walls supposed to generate on the buildings sheet? All of the other elements seem to generate onto the correct sheet, ie Roads are on roads, and buildings are on buildings, but Walls always seem to generate on the Buildings sheet, even if I have a different sheet selected when I run the command.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yeah, that's where they are placed. Towers too. I've found them easy enough to move, though.
  • Yeah, its not hard to move. I usually move them to a tmp sheet and then trace with the city walls tool so it fits the style better.
    edited June 2017
  • Pity this gem wasn't in the annual tutorial. I hardly ever complain about the ProFantasy products, but I am a little disappointed that the current annual seems to have these unexplained quirks.
    Now I'll go into my nuclear fallout shelter for safety. :)
  • I wish I had know about the idea of a temp sheet and tracing- would have saved me tons of frustration...! I always learn something on this forum! Thanks.
  • I got the idea from the Annual mapping guide. It doesn't mention moving to a temp sheet, but it does suggest redrawing the wall with the wall tool and deleting the generated wall. I figured it would be easier to delete all the generated walls if they were on their own temp sheet.
    edited June 2017
    It should be noted that, while the walls and towers are placed on the BUILDINGS sheet, they are also the only entities placed on the WALLS layer. That makes them extremely easy to select if moving them to another sheet.

When selecting, try this:
    1. Right-click, and then choose Layer from the pop-up menu.
      The command line changes to read, Layer name [dialog]:
    2. Right-click again.
      In the command line, if there is a default value or action for the command, CC3 lists it in brackets. You can automatically accept the default by right-clicking (or by pressing Enter). When the default value is "dialog", CC3 will display the appropriate dialog. In this case, it displays the Select layer dialog,
    3. Click the WALLS layer, and then click OK. You don't need to click the checkbox for the layer. When you click a layer (without clicking in the checkbox) the layer is highlighted to indicate you selected it. That's all you need when selecting layers and sheets unless you specifically need to switch to, display, or hide the layer/sheet.
      The dialog closes, everything on the layer you clicked is selected, and the status bar now reads, Select entities (X picked): where X is the number of entities currently selected.
    4. Right-click and select Do It from the pop-up menu.
      Whatever action you were performing, er, performs.  :-D
    Incidentally, I believe the buildings are the only things on the BUILDINGS layer, so they are all easy to select for different actions too.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • thats great. I just found out that the main road is on the ROADS layer and the city streets are on the ROADS 1 layer.