Second Map

Here is the second map. I was unable to fit it in the first post (I had saved it as a BMP). I opened it in CC3 and saved it as a jpeg to reduce the size. (I have no idea what I am doing here but seem to remeber that BMP gives a better picture but larger file size, while Jpeg gives a smaller file size).

This second map (Scarsea) I think is an improvement, it was done for a new DM who will give me a rest from that side of the table.

Comments

• I like this map! Very nice. Simple yet effective. :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    Posted By: bonzer(I have no idea what I am doing here but seem to remeber that BMP gives a better picture but larger file size, while Jpeg gives a smaller file size
    Basically true. BMP is a lossless image format, so the quality is always 100%, but it is rather large. JPEG is a lossy format, reducing image quality to reduce file size. You are usually better off using png instead of BMP though. Just as with BMP, png are a lossless format, but it is generally smaller than bmp. Also remember that only jpeg, gif and png file formats are allowed in webpages (That includes images uploaded to forums/image galleries/etc). Some web browsers are capable of showing bmp images, but since it is not an accepted standard, not all browsers will show these, while all (reasonably modern) browser should be able to show the other three formats.
    Generally, go for jpegs for photos and the like, and png when you require crisp clear features, like in maps.
  • Bonzer, I second the notion of using png's instead of bmp. It really makes all the difference. Your map looks good!