Herwin Wielink style map (about symbols)

hi there. I am glad use this wonderful program CC3+,
Thanks for your work.
I have a question, why in Herwin Wielink style map so few symbols (structures, vegetation and so on).
I have standart version 3.76. CC3+, maybe i need buy Additional symbols set? If yes? which?
Thank for your answer and sorry for my english))
best regards

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Slavonian - welcome to the forum :)

I think I would be correct in thinking that the Herwin Wielink style started as an annual style and became such a popular style that a decision was made to include it in the main CC3 package.

Since annual styles tend to be made up of much smaller symbol collections than the main CC3 styles that were designed as the main styles from the start, there are not as many symbols in the Herwin Wielink style as there are with, for example, the Mike Schley style.
  • edited June 2017
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Loopysue</cite>Hello Slavonian - welcome to the forum :)

I think I would be correct in thinking that the Herwin Wielink style started as an annual style and became such a popular style that a decision was made to include it in the main CC3 package.

Since annual styles tend to be made up of much smaller symbol collections than the main CC3 styles that were designed as the main styles from the start, there are not as many symbols in the Herwin Wielink style as there are with, for example, the Mike Schley style.</blockquote>

Herwin Wielink style very cool, maybe in the future ProFantasy to add more symbols? Perhaps or no?))
    Mike Schley style interesting but in my opinion this style little old.
    thanks for your answer
  • Hi Slavonian. Issue 71 of the Cartographers Annual had the Djekspek overland symbols in it. But I don't remember if they were added in with the main update for CC3+ when they updated it to Herwin Weilink. By the way Djekspek and Herwin Weilink are the same person.
    Oh that's interesting to know. I LOVE the HW style. Please can someone confirm that all the symbols and fills in the annual edition were included in the version that was added to CC3+?
  • Ok Sue, I just went back and searched for the thread that talked about them adding the HW style. Yes, they added both of the Annual styles to the upgrade :)
    Aw thanks Tony :)

That's very sweet of you to take the trouble.
  • Thanks a lot for the answers. If I understood correctly in CC3+ version 3.76. have all symbols for HW.
    That is indeed correct :D

And the reason that it is such a small set is that it was originally only intended as one of the annual sets, which are never as large as the standard CC3+ styles.

If you make good use of the sheet effects with the fills, and use the mountain symbols in careful rotation, it is, nevertheless, possible to create decent maps, despite the limitations:
    That's a grossly reduced copy of a map that is 10 x larger than shown, by the way ;)
  • I really love this map style <3
    Thank you :)

HW is my favourite too
  • 1 month later
  • edited July 2017
    I'm unable to post a new question, perhaps my new account needs verifying. Also my question seems most appropriate here, since I suspect it's already answered in the negative.

How do I find out which annuals if any have expansions to the existing overland symbol sets? Or which ones are the most expansive and worthwhile?

I'm not sure how much of the actual annual contents I'm previewing in the gallery. They've come such a long way since CC2 and now include such beautiful mountain sets by default.

I see it mentioned here that there are no additional components for the Herwin Wielink set in any of the annuals. Are there any additionals for the Schley B&W or Schley Ink? Are there any in particular which are expansive and recommended from the annuals?

In particular, is it worth getting the Fantasy Overland Symbol Set 1 when I already have Herwin & Schley, or the annuals available? The few preview images I've seen make it look like I'd be better off with the annuals.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2017
    Posted By: ScribbletteI'm unable to post a new question, perhaps my new account needs verifying.
    There are currently no unverified accounts. And if that were the case, you wouldn't be able to log in or post here either. There are currently no forum issues that I am aware of, so if you find yourself unable to start a new topic, I recommend that you try a different browser or computer to see if that works better.
    Posted By: ScribbletteHow do I find out which annuals if any have expansions to the existing overland symbol sets?
    The answer to that is none. However, there are many symbols from the various styles provided in the annuals that you may find that works with the existing sets, but that is kind of up to you what you like the looks of, none of them are designed to supplement/extend the default sets.
    Posted By: ScribbletteI'm not sure how much of the actual annual contents I'm previewing in the gallery.
    Generally, the annuals that provide new styles provide complete styles, so the annual gallery images are usually purely from that annual.
    Posted By: ScribbletteAre there any additionals for the Schley B&W or Schley Ink?
    No. However, you may still find styles with symbols that work well together with them though.
    Posted By: ScribbletteIn particular, is it worth getting the Fantasy Overland Symbol Set 1 when I already have Herwin & Schley, or the annuals available? The few preview images I've seen make it look like I'd be better off with the annuals.
    The symbol sets are generally a bit more fully-featured than the annuals, with a larger variation in symbols. But, it is just as important picking the styles you like, and the annuals are still fully-featured styles, even if they usually have bit less variation. So, I would go for whatever you think looks best for you.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Don't know how I missed this thread.... the Herwin Wielink pack is my favorite CC3+ set. I, too, just wish there were more of it. I'm currently working on a really big project and have had to co-opt and fudge several things like cliffs and waterfalls since there are none in the Wielink collection. I don't really like doing that, as I prefer not to mix styles, but you make do. I was hoping we might see another Wielink annual, but he's apparently not doing maps anymore, as a cursory search showed that his fantasy map website hasn't been updated in three years and the section on contacting him for commission map work has a big CLOSED notice. He seems to be doing photography now.

IF anyone at ProFantasy has any strings they can pull to get another annual out of him that would be fantastic... but I'm not holding my breath, sadly, as it seems unlikely.
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Sue, this is an incredibly beautiful map.
    You think so? Thanks Hadrian. Its an older version of Errispa, which has since been superseded by an alternative world map that I like rather a lot better (but which I haven't had time to work on for the last 6 months with everything else going on ;)