Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

Needing a respite from the two city maps I've been working on, I started work on this house piece, The House of Secrets. I had to do it eventually, anyway. I'm still tinkering and fine-tuning, but I'm pretty happy with it at this point. Haven't even started the basement or second floor yet, though. Not 100% satisfied with the autumn foliage, but there's not a lot available and this seemed the best.

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions appreciated from the community.
      House of Secrets.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh that is such a pretty colour!

Any chance of a very slightly bigger picture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Like inj a much bigger pic, or a link to a hi-res one. This is super-fantastic
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks. I noticed the small size. Hm... when I tried to upload the jpg I saved directly from CC3+ I kept getting an error message, so I assumed the file was too big to upload, so this is a screen snap I took. Definitely does not do it justice. Will have to see about getting a better picture....
    • CommentAuthorScottA

...hm, tried a smaller file and still getting error messages....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Does the file name include any symbols or punctuation? That can sometimes prevent it from uploading.
    This is beautiful <3 I love it!
    • CommentAuthorScottA

No, it's just too big. What's the best way/settings to save an image from CC3+ to post here (preferably without outside software required?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017 edited

The hard limit is 2Mb, but you should also keep to the limit imposed by the forum guidelines (max 1024 pixels wide for inline images). Normally that should keep you within the file size limit too.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Here we go. Think I got it now (didn't change the image size in the download manager! Said elsewhere that I was a dummy when it came to graphics programs! LOL! Baby steps!)....
      House of Secrets 1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Ta da! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017

Oh now that IS pretty :D

What style is that - or are those exterior tree and plant symbols/fills third party symbol sets?
    Some of the interior I can pick as SS4 but some I cannot place, and I'm not sure about the outside at all, it sure is beautiful though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This map is so good - any chance of putting it in the Community Atlas? I'm sure we can help find a place for it
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Pixelkitteh - some of the interior is also CSUAC, which I was once familiar with using myself, but I haven't seen the outside symbols before. They might be from the newest version of the CSUAC, which I haven't got.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

REALLY nice!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited

Thanks, all! The base style is Schley, the autumnal trees and vines and ferns are CA49 dungeon symbols, and I used some Bogie symbols to fill in what I didn't have in the Schley catalog. I hate having to mix styles and symbol catalogs, but sometimes you have to I guess.

Quenten, this is destined for a project, but I would happily do something similar for the Community Atlas if there was a place and call for it. Honestly, I haven't really even looked over there much yet to see what was needed, but would like to contribute.

And an odd bit of behind the scenes info -- this is actually my own house, with a little (not much) artistic license, like the furnishings and the two graves in the front yard!.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wow. Perhaps you need to start digging those graves in your own front yard then! :D
    • CommentAuthorScottA

LOL, Quenten, I think the neighbors are already scared of me and the house (repairmen have told me that before I bought it there was some sort of "satanic" altar in the basement -- true story!). Putting a pair of graves out front would probably result in a torch-wielding mob at my door!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just be ready with the fire extinguisher then. LOL
    Seriously, we need people of your talent contributing to the Community Atlas. I'll put a plug in for my continent of Artemisia, with a perhaps evil Matriarchy of surface dwelling drow (called dark Aeifa) or a tyrannical empire of Minotaurs, or an ambitious expansionist empire of Greek humans, like a young Roman Empire; or nomads in the centre with 2 beleagured city-states, or an Aeifa (light elves), or three Khazad-dum dwarven realms, or a civilized Grim (orc) kingdom, or many dungeons and wizard towers and so on. But there are other continents as well, all asking for details - islands, towns, lonely inns, dungeons above and below ground, ruins etc.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Well, House of Secrets was set in a graveyard, along with the House of Mystery, back when Abel ran "Secrets" and Cain "Mystery". But that's just me showing my age and (limited) knowledge of DC comics...
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I remember those, Wyvern, as also attests to my own prehistoric age! My House of Secrets has nothing to do with that other one.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017

Second floor. I see some things I need to address, like the phantom shadow in the staircase that's too solid... But I'm pretty content. Attic and basement yet to go.
      House of Secrets Second Floor.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love the idea f a phantom shadow. And the rest of this place - You actually LIVE here? :D
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

This is super pretty!
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks, Lorelei.

Yes Quenten, this is my house. It is not quite like this anymore. It was broken up into two apartments in the 70s, so what is the servant's quarters and back hallway on the first floor has been converted into a bathroom and kitchen for the back apartment, and the back stairs were turned around. On the second floor, the black bedroom has been made smaller with the addition of a bathroom. The red bedroom and hallway are part of my front space and the rest with the deck over the old carriage house is part of the back apartment. I've been working to restore it and actually have put more money into restorations than I paid for the building! It's on the National Registry of Historic Places and is one of the oldest houses in my town (property settled in 1822, house built in 1874).
    • CommentAuthorScottA

A little detail that is probably too small for most casual viewers to notice!
      HoS2nd Cat.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Cute - and what a history your place has had!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

These are some very lovely maps, Scott :D
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks so much. I generally am not as free with colors as I am here, preferring darker, broodier or more subtle tones, but there's something about the autumnal tones that makes me crazy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Stay crazy then. Love this
    Beautiful <3 and I love the cat!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017 edited

Have been working along on this one. Have most of it done except the basement and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do down there. I added a bay window and sleeping porch to the second floor, as well as an aquarium. I liked the way it came out and was going to make it into a symbol before I realized that the aquarium is on 9 sheets, each with different effects! So if I need another somewhere else I'll have to build it from scratch again. Also, have an attic and roof level.
      House of Secrets Aquarium.JPG
    Wow!! That aquarium is so cool!!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

Thanks!

Now I'm trying to build a wine cellar in the basement but haven't quite cracked it yet. The biggest problem is getting symbols of wine bottles from the correct angle. Also playing with making a pipe organ but need to work on the curved shapes and shadows of the pipes....
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Sounds very Gothic with the pipe organ - almost expect Vincent Price to walk in.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: QuentenSounds very Gothic with the pipe organ - almost expect Vincent Price to walk in.

I could say something like 'You rang ?', but thats more Lurch than Mr. Price.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017 edited

LOL! That's what I'm going for, Quenten. Sort of a weird Addams Family-style house.

This is the attic level. I've turned the second floor back deck into a conservatory room with a glass ceiling.
      House of Secrets Attic.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Some years ago my relatives and I were talking about, if you won the lotto what would you do ?, I just pointed at the television set. The Addams Family, B&W as a rerun, was on. They told me, only up to a point, but no nails in beds.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Posted By: JimP They told me, only up to a point, but no nails in beds.

Some people have no sense of adventure. ;-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: Barliman
    Posted By: JimPThey told me, only up to a point, but no nails in beds.

Some people have no sense of adventure. ;-)

I know, right ? Oh, and no swordfish with a leg sticking out of its mouth. I do want to get a remotely movable statue that looks like a bear. And put a chair under it. It can occasionaly ask the person sitting in the chair, if they are reading a book, to please turn the page. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Your attic (? second level) is so awesome, Scott
    • CommentAuthorScottA

This part if fully fictionalized, Quenten. There's no attic in my house, oddly enough for its age and size. There is a peak, of course, but it has been sealed up, so I have no idea if there is anything up there or not!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017 edited

I have lived in houses, and only learned later it didn't have a crawl space, but an attice. Just not recently.

I meant to say, why not add an attic ? i need more sleep.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017

A pipe organ in the wine cellar? I might have misunderstood, but I think the vibrations generated by the organ would probably sour the wine! But if you insist....

***HEALTH WARNING*** Turn your earphone volume DOWN if you follow this link!

I think this may be the music?

(Bach Toccata in D Minor) :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017 edited

Good one Sue. I used to play this for my music degree in Organ performing - I was the Church organist in my Dad's Church (Anglican). And I don't know that the organ noise WOULD sour the wine, so go right ahead, Scott. Bring on the Gothic horror :D
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017 edited

No, Sue, I wanted to put a pipe organ on the upper floors somewhere, not the basement! I didn't actually make that clear, though.

Actually, Quenten, Sue is partially correct. The vibrations made by some like a pipe organ wouldn't sour wine as such, but it would stir up sediment and ultimately effect the clarity and taste making it cloudy. Champagne, on the other hand, might actually explode if subjected to strong prolonged vibrations.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You could do a fairly stirring rendition of the 1812 overture, then :P
    • CommentAuthorScottA

LOL!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A number of years ago I saw it on tv, an orchestra playing the 1812 Overture, with muzzle loading cannon providing the kha-boom.