Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

The subject for this month's Lite Challenge over at the Guild is to map a holiday location.

Since Tony was running alone in the challenge I decided to join him to keep him company.

My ideal holiday location would be a smallish island, possibly in Scotland, where it is quiet enough to spend a whole month writing a book without any kind of interruption from the outside world :)
      Scribble Rock 04.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Progress to date
      Scribble Rock 05.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Looks great - is it based on a real island?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Quenten :)

Its real enough in my head for me to be able to fly around it as if I'm in a helicopter, but unfortunately it doesn't exist anywhere else.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

It's looking great Sue! You are going to have to teach me how you get your oceans to look so nice.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017 edited

That's a Merelan City ocean. Its not all that special without the fills I designed to go with it, but here is a stripped down FCW of the file that shows the basic ocean sheets for you :)

Sorry - Most of the rest is home-made fills and symbols and would only appear to you as red crosses anyway!

(I added a few lines of surf to this version, so that you can see how I intend to add the waves to my challenge map)

If you are wondering about the seaweed, rocks and shingle - they are on three separate sheets between the sand and the water sheets, but since they are all home made fills and would probably make a complete nonsense of alternative fills, I've left them out of this file to keep it simple ;)

I had to alter the HSL settings on the sand sheets to make the Bogie sand fill work in a similar way to my own sand fill, as it was.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

Oh yes! And please excuse the wildly drawn ocean polygons. Its was very late last night when I started this map, and I was trying to pull off a Lorelei - speed mapping. I need to finish this map today hopefully and get back to the city map ;)

The only thing you need to make sure of with the ocean polys is that they stick out a long way around the edge to prevent the very long Edge Fade Inner from entering the map at the edges.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

No THAT is perfect for me....just add a few more trees and i'd be all set :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

If it's a Scottish island, one could argue there are too MANY trees :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hey Lorelei :)

I guess it would be nice to have some company - as long as you don't mind the helipad at the other end of the island for getting on and off, food supplies and emergency rescues...

(Its only used once a week)

Quenten - this is a fantasy Scottish island - one where the weather is always warm and sunny, if a little breezy (and therefore never too hot for comfort), and the rain only happens at night time to keep the grass impossibly green and all the fruit and flowering trees happy. Unless of course I'm writing a dramatic scene - then we have thunderstorms to order - huge bangy crashy ones that linger till the scene is written :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

LOL. I think the Scots would say "In your dreams" :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Well - precisely :P
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think I may have nearly finished this one, but I still have a bit of work to do with both the grass sheets, since they don't look all that hot at larger scale.
      Scribble Rock 06.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Another great map. Looks like it could be a real place.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I can't wait to visit!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Scott :)

I only wish it was. I can nearly get my lounger out and set up the patio table on that flowery patch to the east of the lighthouse in my imagination, but I can't quite smell the flowers and feel the soft sea breeze...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Lorelei! Thanks :)

If I win the lottery I'll see about setting it up ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Beautiful and idyllic. I love the helipad. Nice touch, that. :-D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Gotta have a way for Lorelei to get there ;)

Thanks Dogtag :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh yes! Sorry - you might not like it as much now. I reworked the grass sheets - all 3 of them, and the paths are too narrow according to the scale...
      Scribble Rock 07.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Once again just beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Hadrian :)

I think, apart from the frame, I've finished this one now. When I've uploaded the framed version to the end of the challenge thread over at the Guild I'll put a link to that comment here ;)

btw - I know the parasols are the wrong way around in this version. Its one of the touch up jobs to be done while I figure out the frame.
      Scribble Rock 09.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Unless anyone can see an obvious mistake (or even a not so obvious one) I think this one is finished now :)

Scribble Rock 11.JPG

The full size image is here :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Shouldn't that be "desperate", Sue?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

OMG! Well spotted :D

I always spell that wrong! LOL!

Thanks for spotting it. I'll update the Guild one straight away, since that's the one I'm being judged on, but I'll wait till all the other goofs are picked up before I do the final one here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just fantastic - and I usually get 'desperate' wrong too - along with 'marriage' which I often spell 'marraige'
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017

Thank you Quenten :)
    This is super cute <3 love it!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

My dream place, pixelkitteh ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Guess I wouldn't mind come visiting your dreams one day, especially if they are all as nice as this one :)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Awesome place! :D Definitely a dream to want in reality! :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

Good job I had the helipad installed :)

No fighting over who gets to stay in the tower rooms!

Thank you - both :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited

This is probably the final version.

I've found a 1024 resolution source of one of the Bogie cliff fills, so I made the map bigger and the detail finer. However, because the detail is now a lot finer, the map doesn't look anything now at only 1024

Here it is anyway...

Scribble Rock 12.JPG

The larger version is here
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

It's wonderful. Book a place for me on the helicopter - I'll bring Drambuie
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

...who's Drambuie? Do I know him?

(only kidding)

There's a very large wine cellar at The Mouse Pad :P
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited

PS. If anyone else wants to go and collect the high res version of Bogie's cliffs, its here.

You have to register, but the 1024 px version is free once you've done that :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Dram Buie is married to Glen Fiddich of Glayva Castle
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017

Dram and Glen - sounds like a fine romance :)
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Before, I did not have time enough to make progress on my maps. Now, I don't even have time enough to follow all those high speed and nevertheless quite awesome maps that are being drawn by others!
    Congratulations!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hey Gathar - thank you :D

And thanks for dropping by to say so :D

The map went at a heck of a speed almost all by itself. I was a bit surprised to discover I had all but finished it in a matter of 3 days flat. That's a personal record for me.

Having said that, however, I've been tweaking and tightening everything up quite a lot today, and found a high res version of my favourite Bogie sand texture (several others as well on the CG Texture site), and have just one more final WIP to show... but not yet.

I'm ever so sorry to be so mysterious, but I'm a little busy right now paying attention to the activity stream and Private Messaging over at the Guild to give support to one of my Guild friends, who is battling valiantly against the clock to finish his Challenge entry (as opposed to the Lite Challenge for which this is an entry), which closes tomorrow evening. (The Lite Challenge in which I am entering Scribble Rock still has a fortnight to run yet)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017 edited

This is probably the finished version.

Scribble Rock 14.JPG

The full size image is here
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017

hmm, looking at your names, I would have thought that the helipad would be "the mouse pad" :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! Remy - I would have to draw a mouse on it then, instead of a yellow 'H'.

My avatar name is 'Mouse' at the Guild, so the lighthouse is my place ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just beautiful. You get promoted to Mouse Goddess! <3
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

• CommentAuthorHadrianVI

this looks awesome!!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Hadrian :)

I'm quite pleased with it - for a 2 day map. I have to admit that I used an awful lot of my Merelan City experience to establish the basic style for it (as you can probably tell from the way I've done the ocean) ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Sue, have you thought of doing an issue for the annual on coastal stuff, including your ocean, various fills, symbols )esp for wrecked ships, seaweed, rocks and stuff). We would all love it if you did, I'm sure, and on a recent thread, there seems to be a demand for it. After all, how many people want the method you use to create waves on the shore, and cliffs as you have done in Scribble Rock. Pleeeaaasse <3 <3 <3 (hope that's enough pleading)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

That would be great !
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Well there isn't really a CC3 style, as such. When I said the style of the map I was referring mainly to the way the end result looks, and not the tools and methods I used.

In truth I use a standard HW template purely because its easier than starting with anything else when I want at least 2 of the ocean fills. I have a single drawing tool called 'SUE' which uses the current fill on the current sheet and isn't restricted to the map boundary so that I can draw outside if I want to (I've never been one to stick to the rules when I'm drawing my own thing!). And I only have that one just so that I can trace things when I need to. I use the freehand tool most of the time, and convert paths to polys to make my map.

The fills I used in this map are partly Herwin Wielink, partly CG fills that I have downloaded myself on my own CG account (and part of the terms and conditions state quite clearly that they can't be redistributed as fills, even though I can use them in commercial maps). The rocks seaweed and the two grass textures are my own. I don't mind giving you them, but that's not the full set is it.

In short, its a bit of a tangle that I've botched together to make up for having no annuals. There's not a lot to sell that I haven't already given you, or that you don't already own, or that I simply can't give you (though you could go and download the same set of CG fills if you wished) The entire set of sheets and their effects saved in a template might be useful I suppose, but that hardly constitutes a 'style'.

Reading back through that it all sounds rather negative and depressing, but at least the trees I've used will shortly be available in the Atlas resources file - once I've finished Sanctuary - including the varicolour fruit and flower trees :)