text labels not coming forward

I have a map that I have imported from FT3. As I'm trying to add things to the map some items (namely text and terrain filled polygons) wont stay on top of the underlying map. Some symbols get put onto a layer that's not currently active (and even frozen) and I can move them. I'm become a bit frustrated at the moment because my very nice FT map is almost impossible to work with.

any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
thanks

Comments

• Well half figured out. The text was a sheet issue. Still have no idea why symbols are going on the wrong layer.
  • Layer, ot sheet. If you click on Symbols - Symbol Manager, the options for the offending symbol, you may see it is forced to a certain sheet or layer (layers can easily be changed, as can sheets, in the Change properties button). Also, see if the name of your sheet yu want the symbols to go on begins with SYMBOLS, otherwise the symbol will go onto the SYMBOL sheet, no matter what (until you Change propeties). Best to add a sheet called SYMBOLS WHATEVER (whatever means you pick this part). Hope this helps. What sheet and layer do you want the symbols to go to, and what are they actually gong to? An example ot 2 would help pinpoint the problem
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Note that symbols are always added to the current layer. The appropriate layer is set for most symbols when you load the symbol catalog (assuming you load it through a pre-defined symbol catalog setting, and not through the open symbol catalog button on top of the symbol catalog window), but it is not enforced for each individual symbol like the sheet setting is, so if the layer change after loading the symbol catalog, the symbol will go to that layer.