Optimal sizes for buildings in CD3/3+

Hi there. Every time I start a new town or city in CD3 / CD3+ my first struggle is finding an optimal size for the constructions in relation to the size of the map. It takes me a really long trial/error time to find good-looking proportions for streets and buildings, and then when I export the map the result is not always the best. Have anyone found a suitable solution for that?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I generally find that leaving the buildings at the default size works best :)

If all the symbols you are using are from the same style you shouldn't really need to scale anything up or down, such that houses and trees look right with each other, and both will automatically match the width of the road drawn by the road tool.

Its very much a matter of personal preference, though, so my way is only one of several.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sue is correct here. Everything in CD3 is already scaled appropriately. While you may wish to make the occasional building larger/smaller than the rest, you should really stick to the default scale. If you scale your buildings too much, you're also going to get very weird result from the distance/length tools.
    Since you talk about in relation to your map size, the more important thing to get correct is the actual map size. Buildings are scaled to real-world measurements, and should be the correct size as long as your map size is correct for what you are trying to make.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    If you are using the HOUSE command (the House button) to manually make your buildings, you may want to place a symbol or two on the map and then make your buildings in similar or relative sizes to the symbols. You can always remove the symbols once you have some custom buildings drawn.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm going to combine both and see how it goes.