Possible to Download Annual Map Guides BEFORE Purchasing?

Would this be fair? It seems like it would help with decisions of which Annuals to buy if we could read the individual Map Guides first.

Comments

• HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    At the moment it is not possible to do so. And I think that's okay, because in many cases it is the tutorial in the guides that really add something to ones toolbox.
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: HadrianVIAt the moment it is not possible to do so. And I think that's okay, because in many cases it is the tutorial in the guides that really add something to ones toolbox.
    Yes, that was my initial thought, but the tutorial without the tool doesn't really add anything so I thought it might be doable... I am trying to decide between two annuals, and I wanted more info..
  • Actually, the Annuals sometimes tell you how to make the mapping style they are talking about if you don't have the tools available. So for instance, they will sometimes show you something like how to make a particular type of city. And they will explain how to do it using City Designer. But they also talk about options you can use if you don't have City Designer. So basically, the tutorial does add things, even without the downloaded mapping style. That is why they won't let people view most of the tutorials without purchasing them.

If you want to know something about them you can always ask here in the forum. What is it you want to know?
  • Posted By: Tonnichiwa

If you want to know something about them you can always ask here in the forum. What is it you want to know?
    One of my questions is can the March 2017 be used to make a map of just one ranch or a very small area (3 homes on 5 acres) with a lake in the background ? How "micro" can that tool go?

Thanks for any info..
  • Well, I don't see why you couldn't make a very small area with 3 homes on 5 acres. And I don't see why you couldn't just make one ranch. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of symbol's for different kind of buildings, but in all honesty, once you go to an old west town and look at it, any other buildings from the old west don't look any different. They are all pretty much the same.

So I just made this in about five minutes. I didn't take the time to make sure everything was perfect or more realistic but this is a ranch with a few buildings on it and a lake in the background. Now I'm sure if I had taken my time I could have made it look much better, where it seems more real, but for a five minute job it's not too bad.

As far as Micro, do you mean how small can you make the symbols? How small do you want them? Because that is just a matter of scaling the symbols.
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: TonnichiwaWell, I don't see why you couldn't make a very small area with 3 homes on 5 acres. And I don't see why you couldn't just make one ranch. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of symbol's for different kind of buildings, but in all honesty, once you go to an old west town and look at it, any other buildings from the old west don't look any different. They are all pretty much the same.

So I just made this in about five minutes. I didn't take the time to make sure everything was perfect or more realistic but this is a ranch with a few buildings on it and a lake in the background. Now I'm sure if I had taken my time I could have made it look much better, where it seems more real, but for a five minute job it's not too bad.

As far as Micro, do you mean how small can you make the symbols? How small do you want them? Because that is just a matter of scaling the symbols.
    Yeah, by micro I meant smaller land plot, larger house symbols. As long as I can scale up the buildings without losing a nice resolution, I think it is doable. Is there a bridge in the symbols? Thanks again.
  • You can change symbol size. Pick a symbol from the symbols window, right click the mouse. A sector pops up and shows the scale. You can change those numbers, click More, then place the symbol.

More, in this context, means you want to place more symbols.

Finished also part of this popup, in this context, means you are finished placing that symbol.
  • Yes, of course you can scale up the buildings. All of the symbols in CC3+ are drawn so that they look good at almost any scale. They don't really seem to pixelate at large or small scales. It is usually the bitmap fills that do that. I've also looked through the annual and I'm sorry, I don't see any bridges.