Importing bitmaps into cc ("bitmap too large to embed in drawing!" error)

OK, here's the problem. I'm trying to get a result like this...

Hnaar, homeworld of the H'Hnaarouhw

So far, I've successfully generated the image in Fractal Terrains, and export it to a jpeg, so I can then use Fireworks to process the image. There should be a way to import it into CC2, but every time I try to embed it in there, I get a "bitmap too large to embed in drawing!" error :(

I can get around this problem temporarily, by unchecking the embed and outline boxes in the import drawing, and tracing the result in CC/Cos Pro, but it doesn't get around the basic requirement to be able to embed a bitmap into cc, so I can then produce a meaningfully detailed output for mapping purposes, which I can currently only do via exporting and processing using another manufacturers product, which kind of defeats the object possessing of cc, I think.

This is the result of non-embedding and copying over the top - not that accurate, regrettably, and not the result I wanted to achieve in the first place, truth be told.
Hnaar,

This is a gif of the source image, for example purposes.

hnaar-600pix-wide.gif

This is a link to the 600 px wide bmp,
and
And this is a link to the 2048px wide bmp.

I'd appreciate any and all advice - or even pointers to tutorials, cause I'm sure I've missed something simple here :)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Roger, there is a limit to the size of bitmaps you can "embed". I assume you're using CC2 Pro, and not CC3, right?

But there's really no reason you need to "embed" the bitmap. Leave it as a linked image in the same folder as your map and distribute the two files together if necessary.
  • edited January 2009
    Ralf -

Thanks for the reply. I've got CC2 Pro, CC3, CD Pro, Cos Pro, FT Pro, and SS3 (M), all patches and compatibility files installed. FWIW, in case it helps any, I'm running an Athalon 2600+ under WinXPSP4 with a half gig of Ram and so much disk space it'd make a previous employer weep in envy :devil:

Yes, I could leave it as a linked file and distribute both, but I'd rather not, to be honest. It's be easier all round - especially for those using the viewer I suspect - to have it embedded. Is there a way to do this in CC3, perchance? Also, what's the file size limitation for embedding in CC2 Pro?
    There's no way to embed bitmaps in CC3 - the option became too much of a drain on CC3 maps with many bitmaps included and was therefore removed. But if you set the Bitmap option to "relative to current drawing" and put the bitmap in the same folder as the map, it's trivially easy to distribute them together.

And unfortunately I don't know the exact file limit for embedded bitmaps in CC2 Pro. Perhaps Simon can help out if he reads this thread.
  • Hmm. OK, fair enough: I guess it's Hobsons Choice on that one, then :(

Still no comment on whether the CC Viewer will work with linked bitmaps, though. Be interested in knowing if anyone's' tried that, by the way.

Let's hope Simon's had a look, and knows the answer to that one :)

Thanks for taking the time, by the way :)

Roger
    Posted By: RogerStenningStill no comment on whether the CC Viewer will work with linked bitmaps, though. Be interested in knowing if anyone's' tried that, by the way.
    The viewer works fine with linked bitmaps, as long as you use the "relative path to current map" option when inserting them.