Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017

I have decided to try out the Jon Roberts Overland Style, and as a break from the community Atlas, have picked on doing a map of where I live . Here is the first part.
      Flinders Island.PNG
    • CommentAuthorGathar

It looks like a very nice place for a James Bond villain to settle. Just a question: Do you live in a normal house, or in an unground/underwater secret base?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The latter of course; my real name is Dr No!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Of course, now that I went threw all the troubles to figure out where you live, you post a map that points right to the spot.:D

Anyway, really nice map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Only just the start - hope to have mountains, hills and rivers done by tonight
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is phase 2. Trees and swamps/lagoons next
      Flinders Island2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

This is super nice, Quenten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Have to make sure roads (most dirt, only 2 sealed roads) don't go over the villages! Population 800, capital (Whitemark) population 350! But we have our own hospital, school (up to age 18), 3 policemen (1 just for marine work - a lot of abalone harvesting, some not quite legal), post office, bank, hardware, solar/wind power station, supermarket, 2 pubs and 5 cafes! Somewhat over-serviced perhaps. Oh, and the car ferry goes once a week, the planes twice a day to Tasmania and 5 times a week to Melbourne on mainland Australia. It is our little piece of paradise.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Nice. And it sounds like a lovely place to live. I've thought about doing my town, but haven't tackled it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Last update before bed - finish it tomorrow
      Flinders Island3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

One of the islands is owned by Russia? (Vansitart Isle)? How did that happen?

Nice map, too. This would make for a fun adventure setting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wealthy Russian 'businessmen' bought the island to use as hunting. Used to be a sheep property.
    Really nice map! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017

Forests and farmyards next
      Flinders Island4.PNG
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

This is really nice Quenten. I like the way you are bringing the map to life with the pictures added to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited

The pics will look better on a hi-res png, which I will attach here when the map is finished. As you can see, I am really in love with my island home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looks like a great place. We should really arrange a ProFantasy community get-together there one day :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You'd all be very welcome :)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I really like this map! I would love to do a map of Long Island, however, time has developed my lovely island into overpopulated suburbia now and only the east ends are truly lovely and map worthy.

I am all for a PF Beach Convention on Flinders!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well, no-one actually lives on Long island off The Corner, only birds and wallabies. Bit different from your Long Island, methinks! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This is the second last update - only beaches and rocks to go (but it's 1 am here, and I'm tired - see you all in the morning)
      Flinders Island5.PNG
    • CommentAuthorcrb31

Looks very cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017

My final update, unless there are comments needing my attention, or someone thinks I should put a frame on it - bear in mind I am hopeless on frames, so if you do, please give detailed instructions 3:)
      Flinders Island6.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

For frames, I just use a straight line for each of the 4 sides, with Ortho on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017 edited

If you want to add a frame/decorative border, an easy way to do it is to treat it like a dungeon wall. Choose a good width, a fill you like, and then draw a rectangle around the map on the MAP BORDER sheet and MAP BORDER layer. You can use the path tool, poly tool or, probably best, the box tool. As with walls, if you choose to use the path or poly tools then make sure you begin somewhere along a straight edge and not at a corner, to avoid a telltale gap.

You might want to add a small (or not-so-small) bevel effect to the map border sheet, or even a glow or shadow, depending on the look and feel you're after. If you use a "wood" fill, bear in mind that a single entity will keep the fill facing one direction, so wood might look a little strange. You can make a [very slightly] more complex border by using four thin trapezoids (the angles let the trapezoids meet at the corners). Then, you can use the Shaded Polygon or Shaded Polygon Angle by Edge command to rotate the fills as needed.

I hope that helps. I love the map. I particularly like the callout images and notes.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    This is a beautiful piece of work. I absolutely love the use of photos to illustrate points - I've never thought of doing that before, and it's an idea I'm definitely stealing.

Also - Captain James Cook is a man of my county. We get around a bit, us Yorkshiremen. But if we go to Hawaii, they kill us. Everyone else gets flowers and alo-ha-ee; we get the sharp end of spears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This map is made with a lot of love. I had always wanted to live between the mountains and the sea, in a cooler climate than Brisbane. And here we are, 6 years now on this island which I first visited in 2006, with a glorious viw and 5 mins walk to the beach, and a tall hill behind us which is home to nesting sea eagles. We feel truly blessed.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017

Posted By: QuentenThis map is made with a lot of love. I had always wanted to live between the mountains and the sea...

Me, too. The US Pacific Northwest is my ideal. Beautiful map, by the way, the best one you've done yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017 edited

Here is THE final version. The frame is courtesy of Lorelei, who has kindly shown me how to make them for the future. (bow to Lorelei)
      Flinders Island8.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

• CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Very beautiful work. Great job, Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Excellent map, Quenten - you should be very proud :)
    • CommentAuthorSkidAce

Very nice map.

And thats a nice frame...how easy is that to produce?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wonderful !
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thank you all for your praise. Interesting how a real life map turns out - I might do another of the area I live in, at Emita, one day. But back to monasteries, Inns abd cities in the community atlas. :)
    BTW, the frame was done for me by Lorelei - a very lovely and noble gesture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017

Geez Quenten, you live on a gorgoeous place... i envy you totally :)

Wish i had time/spare money on taking a half world trip to visit you so you could show me all such beautifullness.

Oh, and the map is also nice aswell ;).
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Medio. You, and any others on the forum, are very welcome to come and stay with us for a holiday, and we would love to show you around.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Quenten, just a thought, but have you considered adapting this stunning map for the Nibirum Atlas?

The Killiekrankie Diamond Mountains in the north (diamond mines, or maybe even an entire mountain-sized diamond), the Tower of the Great Sage at Emita (naturally), the Dreaded Flying Talking Rams of Babel Island (no one can ever understand them, of course), the Lady Baronetcy in the south (a matriarchy where men are banished to the work camps at Trousers Point, say), the Patriarchs Enclave on the eastern shore - and tame dragons, air elementals, genii, giant eagles, rocs, pegasi or dwarven flying machines providing regular air services from the airport... The possibilities seem endless!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I would love to, but there is nowhere in Nibirum I can fit it, unless some bright spark (?Monsen) can come up with a location for it. But I absolutely love your ideas. I have every intention of adapting some of my past maps (a John Speed city, and an Inn from issue 3 of the Annuals) for the Atlas. But thanks for your compliments
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017

There are plenty of Islands around Doriant:)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

And also chunks of ocean as yet quite unmapped where it would be very easy to add an extra small archipelago or two...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'll see what Monsen says, but don't hold your breath guys
    This is just stunning work. It's easy to tell how much your home means to you. There's heart and soul in this map.

With me as a neophyte climbing the learning curve, would you mind sharing a very quick rundown of your workflow? For instance, did you start by pulling in real-world map data in using Fractal Terrains, or import an image and do a manual trace?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I traced over a google map of Flinders island, and used my own government issued paper map of the island to fill in all the details (plus my own knowledge of the island). Only wish I had room to put more photos of this stunning place.
    If I want a fantasy land, I generate a world using Fractal terrains, and get it looking as good as possible; then export to CC3+, and go from there.
    perhaps I should put up the Template I use for my FT generated maps. I do export climate and altitude details along with rivers, though i do alter these somewhat when i work on the CC3+ map. My world of Myirandios is such a case (just search for Myirandios) where I exported it in an AE Hemispheres projection
    This is just so cool! It is very beautiful. I hope you frame this one and hang it up somewhere. It needs to be shown off. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2017

Everybody has been so kind about my home-island. Thank you all so much - your praise means a lot to me.