Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2017

You've been working on a new map, came up with a landmass you liked, closed it... And then realized you a) accidentally said no to saving and b) didn't have autosave turned on.

Argh.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Worst feeling ever (when mapping, anyway)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You could always keep autosave on of course. But this has happened to me, and I suspect everyone. It's a real pain in the neck
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Happened to me a couple days ago on a city map -- I lost five hours of work! It's crushing!
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

Yeah, I kept doing that, so I just decided I would turn my autosave back on. Luckily I did because CC3+ crashed on me when making the Sparta ARC map because it had so many symbols on it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I always make sure auto save is on now, at least then you only lose 5-10 mins work (which is bad enough)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017

Yea. Always have autosave on. Instead of turning it off, just turn off the annoying autosave prompt instead.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Posted By: MonsenYea. Always have autosave on. Instead of turning it off, just turn off the annoying autosave prompt instead.

More the fool am I. For some reason, I had assumed autosave was on by default in CC3+. :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: BarlimanI had assumed autosave was on by default in CC3+
    It is, but by default, it prompts before each save, and the popup has a nice "Disable Autosave" in it. What usually happens is that people quickly gets tired of this box popping up every 5 minutes (I know I do), then hit the disable autosave button, which will disable it permanently (Or at least until you manually turn it back on), instead of just turning of the prompting, which IMHO is the better option. Personally, I would rather see that box have a "stop annoying me but keep autosaving" button instead.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I have auto save turned on all the time. I keep the prompt, because although the system has this annoying habit of sticking the prompt in your face just as you are about to finish a really complicated piece of mapping, if you turn the prompt off but keep the auto save on it seems to me to sometimes cause a crash if you are in the middle of a really huge tracing operation, or rendering something out at that precise moment in time. When the prompt is turned on it will wait till the render job is done before popping up.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017

I save often with 'save as' to different filenames in case I want to back up further than undo.

save as filename01_0001, do some amount of work, then save as filename01_0002, etc.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Posted By: JimPI save often with 'save as' to different filenames in case I want to back up further than undo.

save as filename01_0001, do some amount of work, then save as filename01_0002, etc.

I do the same thing, especially if I'm trying something on a map I'm not sure will work or that I'll like.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

I always leave Auto Save fully on, as although that pop-up box can be irritating, it's also an excellent reminder to save the map every few commands (or more frequently). The Auto Save facility is great, but I usually struggle to remember where to find that version of the map after a crash, whereas I always know where my personally-saved version should be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

You can create a shortcut to the Autosave.fcw in your regular map folder (or anywhere). Since the name and location of the file don't change, the shortcut will always point to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

And also remember, there is an option called "Open Autosave Drawing" right on the file menu. Saves you from going hunting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Well, shucky-darn and slop the chickens, ain't that convenient?!