Problems importing and saving PNGs to symbol catalog

I have been trying in vain to import and then save PNGs into an existing Symbol catalog and have had no luck. I snagged a nice fireplace PNG from this forum that I wanted to add to the DD3 Color, Wall Features, catalog. I followed the directions I found in the CA14 Mapping guide, which, I am sad to say, was pretty confusing to me. I first saved the PNG to a new file I created in CC3, then tried to open the catalog for Wall Features, but when I open the folder (in CC3) there is NOTHING THERE! When I go through my COMPUTER>Program Files>Profantasy>CC3>Symbols>DD3>Wall Features, I can see all the symbols that I normally see in a map. When I am creating a map I have access to all the symbols too. I am sure that I am making some mistake somewhere. Can anyone give me a good, easy to understand step-by-bloody-step on how to import/save to a symbol catalog? And riddle me this: why is there NO fireplace symbol already? I mean, really, don't people get cold in fantasy-based RPGs?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Have you looked at the tutorial on creating symbols from pngs on the user tutorial page?
  • I have now Ralf. Thanks for that direction. I have used Joe Sweeney's tutorials in the past, but didn't realize there was a good tutorials section at the website. I used Gerri's tutorial and I was able to save some PNGs and then find them to add to a drawing. However, I would still like to add some symbols to existing catalogs sets. I am not sure if I have described this well, but what I really want to do is, in this case, add the fireplace symbols I found directly into the Wall Features symbol set that comes up as the default symbols in the DD3 maps. So, lets say I've started a new Dungeon map using the Annual Battle Map DD3 map style template. On the Symbol Toolbar there are icons for various symbols, including Wall Features (the little door icon). Is it possible to add my newly found fireplaces directly into that set? Gerri's tutorial was pretty good, but I didn't see any options for this and, frankly, I don't want to go screwing around and possibly lose an entire symbol set.
    It's pretty easy:

- Open the catalog you want to add the symbols to in CC3. They can all be found in CC3\Symbols\...
    - Choose Symbols > Symbol Manager and click the Import button
    - Navigate to your drawing with your own symbol and Open it.
    - Delete any superfluous symbols that might have been added.
    - Save the catalog. It now has the new symbol in it.
  • Well, here I run into problems. It might very well be that I am jsut clueless, but perhaps not. See, when I navigate through CC3\Symols\Dungeons\DD3\DD3 Color\Wall Features, there is absolutely nothing there. In fact, when I navigate to any of the lowest level sub-folders within CC3 they are all empty. All of them. I hace access to all the tools, templates, symbols etc when I am actually making a map, but there is nothing, nada, zip in the folders. Now it gets weird: if I navigate through My Computer>Program Files>Profantasy>CC3 and then down through to Wall Features (or any other sub-folder) I can see all the symbols, but of course CC3 is not open so I can't really do anything with these. In fact, double clicking on a synbol icon here opens it up in my Windows Photo Gallery. My compltely uneducated guess is that there is a pathing error, but I have no idea how to correct this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    When navigating through the Open dialog with CC3, set the File Type to "CC3/CC2 FSC Symbol Catalog". Then it will show you the catalog files.