The Perilous Hobbies of Yitzac Raboon, First Floor

This map is the first in a series of maps I am planning on doing in the Mike Schley style. I still have some work to do on it but this is its first incarnation and I wanted to share. This is a pretty gory map so be warned.

The Perilous Hobbies of Yitzac Raboon is going to be an adventure I put together at some point as a part of my Adventurous Endeavors campaign. I plan on using the Schley style, or at least elements of it, for all of the maps in this campaign if I can. I want to put a grid on this map. Is their a tutorial somewhere on how to do that? I mean a grid that does not go outside the dungeon. Is it the same thing as setting up a regular mask just using the grid?

Comments

• Wow! Ever considered joining the Community Atlas mappers - see Sticky on the top of the forum discussion list. You would be a great dungeon mapper (as well as Dungeonmaster!) Just love the map - think I will join the winning side and be a monster :D
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: kevbeck43I mean a grid that does not go outside the dungeon.
    Either create copies of your floor polygons and use the Square Grid fill style for them, or use a mask on the areas outside the dungeon to hide the grid. There are tutorials for both of these in the Tome if you own that. The SS4 quick start guide also have instructions for creating a wall mask, although for a different purpose, it still serves to hide the grid if the sheets are arranged correctly.
  • edited May 2017
    Here is the map with grids. Once I found the tutorial in the tome on how to place a grid on the floor layers I needed a way to untangle the overlapping grids at the points where the different floors of my dungeon overlapped. I did this by copying the grid parts I needed to the sheets of each dungeon floor. That worked. The copying to sheets part might be in the tome to but I couldn't find it. Is this second part of the process involving the sheets worth a tutorial or is it in the tome too?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: kevbeck43The copying to sheets part might be in the tome to but I couldn't find it.
    Copying to sheets is used in several tutorials in the Tome, but there isn't a specific tutorial focusing on it. It isn't realistic to make a separate tutorial for every process, but I tried to cover everything through the complete range of tutorials in the tome. Feel free to make a tutorial if you wish though, I am sure many could benefit from it.
  • seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    edited May 2017
    Nice Map! I like how some of the tunnels go underneath other parts of the caverns. A few comments however. Are the large chests, crates and bags part of the backstory? They are larger than the entrance tunnels!

I also spy a couple of wayward chests that go into the wall and background in the northeast cavern.On the southern wall.
  • 10 days later
  • Posted By: seycyrusNice Map! I like how some of the tunnels go underneath other parts of the caverns. A few comments however. Are the large chests, crates and bags part of the backstory? They are larger than the entrance tunnels!

I also spy a couple of wayward chests that go into the wall and background in the northeast cavern.On the southern wall.
    Thank you for your comments! The crates and treasure are Yitzac's horde of treasure. He just throws it back there as he gets it. There may have been some abnormalities in this map as I was experimenting with the style for a larger more detailed version of this that I plan on doing in the future.