Fractal Terrains 3 v3.0.20 - Issue - Find Rivers

I seem to be having issues with using the "Find Rivers" tool in Fractal Terrains 3 v3.0.20. Either I am not understanding this feature correctly, or I am experiencing some kind of bug. When launching the find rivers tool, I can chose my "River Definition Resolution" and seemingly generate the actual river vector find; however, I cannot get them to display using the "Show River Overlays" command. I can see them using the "Keep River Image Overlay" feature as an actual image overlay, but this is problematic because when zooming in to any real depth the rivers become unusably pixelated.

1. Am I understanding this feature correctly?
2. Is this a known issue?
3. Is there a workaround?
4. Is this scheduled to be fixed?
5. When is this scheduled to be fixed?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Thanks,
Nash Spence

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I have noticed that if I use a fresh map that the "Find Rivers" seems to work as expected. There must be some issue with my map. For now I'll be trying to identify what that is.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The problem that you describe is an intermittent one that crops up after certain editing actions across the world seam leave an excessively high editing value. This high value prevents the vector river finding system from generating rivers, even though the image overlay can show what appear to be useful rivers. I thought that this problem had been fixed in version 3.0.20, but it seems that you have found a case where it still happens. If I can get your map, I should be able to fix the problem.

There isn't a known workaround for this problem and I don't know when this is scheduled to be in an update for FT.
  • 4 months later
  • Hello Joe...just spent a few days learning FT3 and watching Joe Sweeney's tutorials. I'm using your pdf tutorial and finding it very useful. Got up to find rivers, and yes, same problem that nashspence had. Erk. I'm going to try to back up and try again. Could I send you my map as well? (p.s. and where should I send it?)
  • One further comment. I just went back to the original backup map, before I followed the steps in your tutorial (eg fill basin, global smooth, incise flow) and find rivers worked. It was just an hour or two's work, so I'll go back and redo it, and save iterations, then run find rivers, and see at what point it stops working.
  • Hello again, Joe. I was working through your tutorial, and might have found the problem On page 11, you mention global smoothing using land offset (rather than the preset land offset in the previous example of smoothing.) When I followed your directions, I lost the ability to find rivers. I backed up and used preset land offset, and found rivers no problem. I'll continue through the tutorial and test each step some more, but that looks like the culprit.
  • Okay, went a bit further and did incise flow. I have mymemory set to 8190...and after incise flow, no rivers. Tried 4096. Still none. But I tried "Large" and the rivers showed. So that might be it.
  • 4 years later
  • Apologies if it's bad form to necro a post like this, but I might have found a workaround for a similar issue in FT 3.5.1. The workaround is only useful if you haven't done much manual offset editing. I'm commenting in case users like me have this problem in the future.

My symptoms were a bit different, but I think they had the same cause: somehow, I ended up with a smallish area with preposterous depth (way over -40k, iirc) near 180 longitude. I think something in the basin-filling, land-expanding, or incise flow tool went ballistic. When I tried to find rivers, it wouldn't show anything unless I slid the slider way over to the long end, and then the rivers showed as big wads over random spots in the ocean. (I think the spots even stayed the same in screen space if I rotate the world and try again, but I could be remembering wrong.)

Workaround: I worked around it using clues from jslayton's post above. Tools > Global Set > Land Offset Edit > 0, which unfortunately erases manual offset edits and actions like fill basins and expand land. This switched the bazillion-deep spot near 180 longitude to a quite high spot, and rivers started working again. I edited the spot with pre-scale offset to get it down to a reasonable depth.

Monsen