CC3+ lagging

I have been making small battlemaps with no problems at about 400x 320 and 200x160 and the software works beautifully but when I tried to do a cave map at 1000x800 there was significant lagging with common functions like scrolling around the map. the undo function, zoom extents and even opening the map on startup. I have tried lowering display speed with no success. I thought this might just be a memory problem with my computer or something like that but I have tried now on two machines and the same thing is occuring. I have 16 gigs of RAM and a good video card on my rig so I don't think that has anything to do with it? Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: All this is happening in the Dungeon Designer 3 add on.

P.S. Big thanks to all involved for getting all of the back annuals compatible with CC3+! I have all of them except for 2017 and getting them all over really made my life easier in the mapping world.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The most likely cause is use of certain effects combined with a high screen resolution such as 3840x2060 (4k) or more.

If you try making the main display window smaller (maybe a quarter of the display), does the speed improve?

If you turn off effects, does the speed improve?
  • Blur especially slows things down and any effect with blur on it - you could uncheck the boxes on the effects with blur in them. When I do this, things improve considerably
  • Posted By: jslaytonThe most likely cause is use of certain effects combined with a high screen resolution such as 3840x2060 (4k) or more.

If you try making the main display window smaller (maybe a quarter of the display), does the speed improve?

Posted By: jslaytonThe most likely cause is use of certain effects combined with a high screen resolution such as 3840x2060 (4k) or more.

I have tried everything you suggested and when I zoom in on something I am working on the scrolling and other functions do get better but things like trace still crash the program. Its not like its unusable or impossible to create a map it is just more time consuming and occasionally I have to deal with map crashes. Oh, not only did I turn off the effects, I unchecked all of them as well. No improvement or difference from when they were on that I could see.
  • Posted By: QuentenBlur especially slows things down and any effect with blur on it - you could uncheck the boxes on the effects with blur in them. When I do this, things improve considerably
    I did not use any blur effects.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    With effects off, CC3+ should be very quick and responsive almost no matter what you do.
    Have you inserted a very large image in your map (for example in the background to trace over)? A large enough image can cause slowdowns. If you have done so, try to simply hide the sheet (or layer) it is one and see if that improves responsiveness.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    What is your screen resolution? I have a 4K screen, and I've noticed that if I try to work full screen, the refresh can be quite slow, and even worse, if the refresh is slow, then it sometimes try to refresh an additional time, which makes it even slower. But when I limited myself to resize CC3+ window to about 1/4 of the screen, it was much smoother.