Home made textures 2

These are rendered from Genetica's resource library and are free for private or commercial use, but not for resale as textures in their own right - just like they are on Genetica's own webpage.

I have had to convert them to jpg to upload them here, so if you want to use them as fills in CC3 you will have to open them in an app like GIMP and re-save them as png files.

[Image_8499]

[Image_8500]

[Image_8501]

[Image_8502]

These are all 1024 x 1024 tiles. Higher resolution images for all these textures (3000 x 3000) are available from my Guild texture album

Comments

• Brilliant, thanks Sue. How about doing a city for the Community Atlas? Your city work is outstanding, and I am still blown away by your Merelan City and work on the Guild City.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Quenten :)

Merelan City was a saga and a half that I really don't have time to reproduce a second time, but I don't mind doing a slightly more simple city.

I've also lost track of this project of yours. Perhaps you would like to help me out here by picking a site and giving me a few specs?
  • Look at the community Atlas - there are 40 maps, plus the world map. Of course i would love it if you chose my continent, Artemisia, but there are 9 others to choose from. Download the Atlas (25Mb) from the sticky at the top of the forum, and have a little explore. And I don't think you can call it my project anymore. the world was made by Shessar, and there are a number of mappers (myself, JimP, HadrianVI, Lorelei, Charles Robinson, Simon Proctor, Shessar) and of course Monsen who coordinates everything - he is a real champ! But if after that you still want me to choose, then get back to me, and I'll give you a few choices. I hope the others will also chime in with their bids - you will be such an asset to our little community. We are all learning from each other, and have a really lovely spirit of cooperation and fun.
  • And a city just one tenth the beauty of Merelan will still be gorgeous
  • Excellent! Thanks, Sue! And feel free to map away any city within Malajuri - you know how much a loathe cities :)
    Oh sorry, Quenten! I meant 'your project' as a general pronoun to indicate all who took part in its actual creation :) I could hardly include myself by saying 'our project', since all I ever did was vote a couple of times ;)

Lorelei :) - Of course! I would love to assist you, after all the support and assistance you have given me over the last year ;)

I have both a suggestion and a slight problem here, though. The suggestion is that I build a set of city tiles that can be used in any combination to build a variety of different cities for any of the continents. I can't remember off-hand what these tile sets are called now, but maybe doing that would be more useful than just one unchangeable city?

The problem I have is that I only have the basic CC3/CD3/DD3 sets of fills and symbols - no annuals or CSUAC (as I'm sure you are already aware). I also have a large and varied set of Vue trees that I can't sell. I could use them, but only if it could be absolutely guaranteed that none of the tiles would ever be sold for profit at any time in the future, no matter how many centuries pass while the Profantasy world is still available to one and all.

A question too - are we sticking to the main styles, or using additional third party artwork (including homemade symbols like the trees)?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: LoopysueThe suggestion is that I build a set of city tiles that can be used in any combination to build a variety of different cities for any of the continents. I can't remember off-hand what these tile sets are called now, but maybe doing that would be more useful than just one unchangeable city?
    I don't think this is really a good idea. While city geomorphs are great to make quick cities (especially when you just need to show certain districts), they are usually poor when it comes to making a whole city that fits into the terrain of a specific location.
    Of course, as long as these geomorphs are distributed as .fcw files, so that people can properly modify them to make things fit, it could work, but I think it detracts from each person doing the cities in their own style.
    The problem I have is that I only have the basic CC3/CD3/DD3 sets of fills and symbols - no annuals or CSUAC (as I'm sure you are already aware).
    That's not really a problem, that just ensures that more people can use the maps. Also note that you can view all the maps in the online map browser, so you can easily find a place on any map even if that map is using resources you don't have.
    I also have a large and varied set of Vue trees that I can't sell. I could use them, but only if it could be absolutely guaranteed that none of the tiles would ever be sold for profit at any time in the future, no matter how many centuries pass while the Profantasy world is still available to one and all.
    You have control over the commercial use of your own maps, but make sure it is okay that they are distributed by a third party, since you wouldn't distribute the maps yourself.
    A question too - are we sticking to the main styles, or using additional third party artwork (including homemade symbols like the trees)?
    Artwork you have made yourself is fine, but otherwise no artwork from other sources (Other than than those listed [all official ProFantasy stuff, CSUAC, Dundjinni Archives, Bogie's mapping objects and the Vintyri Collection]), because of copyright/distribution issues. Artwork made with software that provides resources (Like Vue) really depends on the redistribution rights they give users of their software. But remember, the artwork will be distributed in the atlas, which is not distributed by you personally, so the right to redistribute must apply to a third party too (me in this case), and not just you, the licensee of the software.
  • Sue, why not do a small city or a town, and then decide whose map it goes on. Just a thought. I must confess I don't think the geomorph idea would work with the atlas
    Thanks Remy :D

I was just pondering the wisdom of generating a set of city tiles myself when you were making your comment, and I agree that it perhaps wouldn't be a brilliant idea. For a start I would need to generate about 50 edge tiles, never mind the central parts - just to provide a reasonably variable range of suburbs/walls/docks and so on.

I was also having second thoughts about the Vue trees. Perhaps best not, to avoid any hazy areas arising in the future. This does mean that I would need to hand draw a set of my own trees, because I'm really fussy about trees looking a certain way, but I am becoming steadily more capable with GIMP. Maybe I could produce a set of tree symbols to go with the map that people could download and install as a new symbol set of their own, if they wish to have full editing capability?

Thinking along these lines - I use a mish-mash of different fills from different styles to get the effect I want. Some of these are from Bogie's Mapping Objects. Since uninstalling the CSUAC some time ago I now have no idea if they are still in the same place as everyone else would have them on their system.

This is where they are on my system at the moment. I can duplicate the folders and have them twice over to mimic the 'usual setup' for this city map, if you tell me where they are normally kept these days.
  • Posted By: Loopysue

Lorelei :) - Of course! I would love to assist you, after all the support and assistance you have given me over the last year ;)

Thanks! It's not for ME though, it's for the community :) I'm just throwing out the island that i worked on to get a city done on it because i don't think i'll ever do one :) But honestly look through the Atlas....there are some amazing spots to choose. Map out a simple village to start to get your feet wet....and no worry about the symbols. You don't NEED Bogies or CSUAC. Many of our maps are made with just the good old reliable CC3+ sets and the basic add-ons that are fantastic! My Temple of the Horned Gods in Jim's Basher Regional Map is one of my favorites i've ever done....and it's all in the Schley Dungeon Style (not very photorealistic which is usually my style). It's really just all about making maps available to the community for their own personal use - to use as is or to modify the .fcw's to personalize them!
  • And....I will not be contributing any maps for the next several weeks, as i will be busy will an outside project. I'll return with my contributions in June, but for now i'll only be popping in to check out what everyone else has done, so we need some new mappers!! Glad to see you back, Sue :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: LoopysueThis is where they are on my system at the moment.
    Looks right.
    Posted By: LoopysueMaybe I could produce a set of tree symbols to go with the map that people could download and install as a new symbol set of their own, if they wish to have full editing capability?
    I prefer to distribute all such symbols with the atlas itself, because I don't want users of the atlas to have to download a bunch of different smaller symbol sets just to use the map. Besides, remember that the symbols aren't just required for editing, you need them to just display the map too. But distributing them with the atlas is easy, you just need to make sure the references uses relative paths with regards to the map and not the CC3+ data directory (and I'll of course help with that if needed)
    (Of course, that doesn't preclude the full symbol set from being made available a separate download for those that want it)
    Lorelei:

Aw thanks hun :D

I don't think I left in the first place, but thanks for the welcome all the same :D

I might have seemed to be absent because a lot of what I've been doing lately has involved lots of other apps used in conjunction with CC3 and not really anything I could show here. I've learned the basics of GIMP and Sketchup, and used other apps as well, and I'm becoming more of a multi-media mapper these days - though most of my maps still make use of CC3 in one way or another ;)

I have also been exceptionally busy trying to write that book I keep yapping on about, and taking care of reality - also trying very hard (and not really succeeding) to finish the second district of Guild City, which covers an area about 3x the area of Atlas Ward. Area 15 has a section of city wall and not just one but two curving ridges and cliff sections to work out with full relief shading on all (not to mention the buildings that go right up the rock face). I think I may have bitten off a bit more than I can really chew with that one! Its currently in a very unfinished state as a 3D Sketchup model. And I'm really not sure how I ended up there! LOL!

Of course I know that any city map I make is for the community, but... If I map a city for your country I will also be helping someone who really doesn't like city mapping ;)

Remy:

That's great - thanks for confirming that :)

Any tree set I produce will be free to one and all, so whichever way you prefer to distribute them is fine by me. I'll set about drawing some first, and iron out the details with you once I've got something to show ;)
  • I like the jpgs, and I think I can use them in some small area maps. Great images !
    You're welcome, Jim :D That's why I shared them - for people to use :)
    I'm working on some trees for us all - ones that I can share this time.

These are rendered from Blender and shown against one of my grass textures.

What do you think?
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Very nice. They look really beautiful. Have you made them yourself in blender? Have you modelled the whole tree?
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Hadrian, Jim :)

Blender has an 'add curve' add on called (not surprisingly) 'add tree', which randomly creates the tree and its leaves. I decide how long the branches are, how many leaves there are per segment, how they bend and how many there are. Then I colour and texture everything, set up the lighting, and render the picture.

I would have used this technique sooner, since the alternative I tried (using Vue) meant that I was not free to sell or give away any of the renders. I also only just figured out today how to make the background transparent around the tree in Blender. It was one of those buttons that just never get noticed and don't have a very helpful tag on them *rolls eyes*. Blender's a bit like that sometimes ;)

All manner of things are going on in my head right now. I might have cracked the stereotypical bushy tree problem, but I still have to create my first palm tree - especially since the city I'm doing for the community atlas project will require no small number of them! To that end, however, I have today downloaded Sculptris, which is a free version of zbrush, to see if I can't model about 10 or so to render out for you all.

All the trees I make in Blender (and any I make in Sculptris) will be made available to all in one go, so please be patient with me. I have to build the collection before I can share it ;)
  • Well, okay. We will wait. Sigh.
    edited May 2017
    Aw Jim!

Here is a low res one (so I can fit it on the forum) for you to play with :)

[Image_8526]
  • oooohhh! TREES! Sue, you know how much i LOVE trees. Especially because my current D&D campaign i've got a blight attacking all the forests and the god of the forest is trapped within a diseased Heart Tree :) I use the trees you made for me often in my own maps...i'm so glad you're able to make sets for everyone~ you are awesome, thanks.

And....this looks wonderful already!!!
    I was just starting to wonder where you were... :P

I'm hoping its going to be a bit more than just a few green bushy things when I'm done, but thanks :D

If I seem a bit quiet for the next few days I'm doing a crash course in Sculptris, which should help a lot with dead trees as well as give me the potential I need for palm trees ;)
    So you use Sketchup for Cliffs and Bender for Trees? What's next? 3ds Max for water surfaces?

You must be a hell of an autodidact... Congrats on that:-)
    I am self taught in most things, but I usually read at least a bit of the manual, and I rely VERY heavily on YouTube for visual learning. For some reason I pick things up straight away if I see or hear them, but reading stuff takes forever with me. Its probably an autistic thing.
    Haha, I don't do neither of these things and just start trying things out. It worked with CC3 but I failed badly with 3ds Max. :P
    With CC3 I did actually work through the user manual example, because I'd never used a CAD-like app before. Once I got the basics straight in my head, though, all the effects and tools were just there to explore.

I'd be a total nightmare in an alchemists cave or a factory, though, since I tend to take things apart just to see what's inside :P

Most of a PC is actually empty space.

...a bit like my head :P
    edited May 2017
    I think I watched the Sweeney Tutorial before buying CC3 but I read neither the manual nor the tome. I didn't even realize that CC3 was a CAD kind of software.:P ... until about a month ago.

However, your Blender model is really, really great.
    I didn't have the Tome for a very long time, but I have it now, and fully appreciate the information it contains about all those little things I never really bothered to explore, but which all invariably bit me in the bum for not knowing them before the end of my little uneducated adventure :)
    This is a tree trial (and only a screen shot at that). It doesn't really fit on this thread, but I'm not ready to start the city thread proper just yet.

The first set of trees I did were a little flat. This one is a compound tree made up of 8 rendered trees laid over one another in GIMP - each with a drop shadow of their own.

I think this is probably the standard I will stick to for the bushy type trees.

Now I just need to get to grips with the palm trees :)