Having trouble with the editing commands

I made some roads cross, then i added a circle around the roads, how do i trim off the excess roads inside the circle that i don't want there anymore? I tried using the trim options but I can't figure them out, every time I try to trim them, it erases the entire road, sorry if this is a dumb question, i am new to this whole concept, i usually hand draw my maps, but i wanted to try a CAD map. Thanks for all the help and advice in advance!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    There are several ways of doing this.

Assuming your roads go all the way through the circle, and doesn't stop in the middle of it:
    - Click on the "Break" button. image [BREAK]
    - Click on the road to select it
    - Now the command line reads "Break start at point:"
        - Click on the "Intersection" modifier image
        - Click on the point where the circle and the road intersects. The modifier from above will ensure that the location is precise.
    - Repeat the steps above for the ending point, taking care to select the other point the road intersects the circle (Don't forget the intersection modifier)
    - All done. You may need to redraw to see the changes properly.

If the road line ends inside the circle instead of crossing through it, you can use the "Trim" command image [TRIM] instead of the "Break command". In this case, make sure that when you select the road to trim, that you select it by clicking on the piece you wish to keep.

Another way of doing this is to first split all the roads inside the circle (Ensuring that no road go through the circle), by using the "Split" command image [SPLIT], and then use trim or "Trim to Entity" image [TRIMTO] to trim the roads.
  • Thanks a lot, that worked, i never split the roads first, i just used the trim command, thanks a lot that worked for me, I appreciate it!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome. Don't be afraid to ask more questions or share your work.