Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

Here is the start for the Monastery itself. Same style as for the Inn and Lighthouse (and my Crazy Camel Inn already put up in a few places). NO derisory comments - this is a place of worship and only hushed reverent tones will be allowed.
      Spiros Monastery.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

This is looking great so far.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Well, if this turns out anything like the Inn, we are in for a treat! You know i love your floorplans!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017

Here is an update - walls (external) and floors done.
    Remember - hushed and reverent tone only
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hi Quenten :)

Looking great.

just a tip - if you add a blur effect to the sheet with the white lines in the water it will look more water-like ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Sue, I haven't got round to that yet. It is a copy from the environs map, and has no effects on it at this stage. I want to complete the buildings first, then the surrounds.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Lines of different widths as well.

Plain white circles (size dependent on blur effect size) are good for vapour clouds if you have any waterfalls ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Sue, I'll keep a record of this for when the time comes - at least it is on the thread now. very helpful - I always have difficulty with waterfalls
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Then I'd better add that the circles can bunch, but don't overlap them too much or the blur effect won't be big enough to disperse the solid mass of them.

If you have a blur effect of 50, for example, don't draw lines less than half that width, or more than about 40 units wide. Same with the circles - nothing smaller in diameter than about 25, or larger than about 40.

You'll see what the problems are if you overlap too many circles too much or make things larger or smaller than that size range when you first have a go at it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for this, Sue. If you don't watch out, you'll be writing a tutorial on waterfalls - and it sure would be welcomed.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Was Lorelei doing one of those?

We use the same technique - and there's no mystery. Its all down to using the Blur sheet effect to its full potential ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You two always say that, but it's a darn mystery to me Sue.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

ha....i said it would TRY to work on one....but really there shouldn't be any need....just hack into my Temple of Poseidon map....the effects are on that map around the rocks in the water :)a
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017

I was in the middle of furnishing this monastery when suddenly, when I clicked on the up arrow on the right hand side, everything went white. I couldn't get anything back when I clicked zoom to extents, nor anything when I exited and restarted it. I then went back to Autosave, started to redo the furniture, when the exact same thing happened again. Now I have lost all my hard work, and don't know why or what to do. The coordinates button shows T: NAN,NAN. Frankly, I feel like just giving up mapping completely. This is the third time this has happened, but other times I could recover my work. I still do not know why this has happened, but only seems to when I click on the up button. The nearest button above it is the close button, and it gave no warning about not closing the only drawing in the window, so I know i didn't click this in error. I can't put any symbol on it, nor copy things from other maps into it, measuring any distance just brings up NAN,NAN; and the cursor doesn't appear. As I have reinstalled CC3 about 4 times in the last 2 months, I do not intend to do this again unless I get a clear explanation as to what is happening. Consider this my pre-resignation letter from the Forum, I am SOOOO fed up
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Remy solved the problem. Just View - Zoom - to all text. Pick a text and lo presto. I am a bit happier today, but maybe also a bit mapped out
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Take a break, use the time to get excited for your vacation. Probably some of the exciting places you are going to you could read up on or watch some videos. The maps will wait for you, they are actually quite patient :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited

I need some opinions here. The first pic is with a drop shadow on the interior symbols, the second is with Wall Shadow directional. Which is better?
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor-detail1.JPG
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor-detail2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

I prefer Wall Shadow, Directional.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

wall shadow
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wall Shadow it is. Ground Floor of Cloister and Chapter House
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor-detail12.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017

Here is an update on the Monastery. Next jobs - interior of church, monastery grounds and exterior, including waterfall and cliff. Hope to get it done before i leave for UK
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2017 edited

Well, back to mapping at last. Here is the latest update: Basilica finished - comments for improvement please. Also a map of the whole area. Cliffs and waterfall and ground outside walls next. Text last. Can anyone help with ideas for the ground cover inside the walls?
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor - cathedral.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2017

And the whole map to date.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Quenten!!!!! How was your holiday???? We (I) missed you! The monastery looks great - the only suggestion i really have is maybe change the resolution of the fills so they aren't quite so repetitive on the cliff and background. I can't wait to use this in my campaign! Great update and welcome back! - Can't wait to see some pics of this epic holiday
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The fills for cliff and background are holders only. I want to work on the cliffs today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Welcome back Quenten !
    • CommentAuthorwarhound

In the middle of the church is the circle with what looks like embossed\carved symbols in the floors. It looks great. Can you tell us how you did that? The rest of the buildings look very nice as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The embossed symbols are from CSUAC, and are a Symbols Flat sheet; the light sort of circle represents light from the windows in the tower directly above the site. Just a hexagon, with edge fade and transparency in a cream solid colour.
    Still need advice on a good fill for the area inside the walls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017 edited

Here is my effort so far on the cliff and backgrounds. Key. Beach and waterfall to go, then hopefully that is it
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017

Gosh, someone's been busy! This one's going to be really nice when you've finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

Nearly finished, I think. Just the key to go. Can anyone think of what needs changing/improving/doing all over?
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looking very nice, but is it intentional that the row of statues at the top have uneven spacing and various positional offsets?

The waterfall looks a bit weird, as it looks like it comes from the same height level as the monastery grounds, which would certainly have an effect on the interior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Pont taken about the waterfall - I will fix. I will also fix the statues
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Oh my gosh, Quenten, this is just great. - So much detail, and lost of places to explore and have potential fights! I love it and am going to find a place for this in my homebrew world for sure (as soon as my players make it out from the Underdark - IF they do :) ) I agree on the waterfall, maybe try to give the illusion of a cave the water is jetting out of, just below the top of the cliff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

Cave added for waterfall - may need to work on falls a bit more. Stairs going down to crypt, and statues fixed. Key added.
    Any more corrections, please get them in in the next few days, as I will then submit it to Monsen for the Atlas.
    Any suggestions as to the waterfall also will be gratefully received.
      Spiros Monastery 1_Ground Floor3.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017

Here is the final iteration, I hope. I will deliver it to Monsen in 24 hours, unless someone has suggestions I need to address.
      Spiros Monastery_Ground Floor.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

On the key list, there's a minor typo in item 20 - should be "Abbots'" (one "t").

Also, list item 23, Stables and Wagon Shed, has the text extending slightly beyond the background grey panel. There's a similar issue with "Spiros" on the title oval.

In the latter two cases, I suspect it's because the white panels "shrink" when you apply the effects, as I've had this happen myself before, and it's often difficult to get it just right, as you're having to make the panels intuitively the "wrong" size without the effects active.

Looking pretty grand otherwise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for this. I do have that trouble you mention with text extending further than you think. Typo fixed - we have a particularly nasty right wing dickhead who used to be our prime Monster, Tony Abbott - hence the spelling confusion. We call him the Mad monk.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017

Ah, politicians. But what can you expect where this remains the one job for which are required absolutely no qualifications or abilities whatsoever? :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Quenten has provided us with two new great maps for the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.
    - Monastery of Holy Spiros
    - Tiergeist Region

We now have 90 maps in the atlas, I hope we can push it past 100 before the year is up. So, just come on ye all, get yourself into some mapping action :)