Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited

Here is the starting point for the Lighthouse in that notorious smugglers' den of unparalleled vice and depravity ;). Same style as for the Inn, and the grid is 1 suare = 5' (not 20 as mistakenly put.) Same comments as for the Inn apply
      Helinesa Lighthouse.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

Very nice start! Looking forward to see your progress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

Here is the start of the ground floor. There will be 3 floors above ground, and 1 below
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Looks good. Note, however, that the bottom of the tower would either be a more closed circle or it would have to have pillars to properly distribute the weight of the tower above the house.
    I like your little touches - the boat on the shore, the rocks off the lighthouse... Lovely, looking forward to what you do next!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The first map was direct from my map of Helinesa (in the Atlas, Artemisia continent). For the actual lighthouse, it is just the bit of shore showing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

Here is phase 2 of the ground floor. I have thickened the walls of the lighthouse proper. The outside remains to be done
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 12.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well here is the 'final' stage. I am quite inexperienced in battlemap drawing, so pointers from Sue and lorelei would help - and anyone else of course. I am now working on the 2nd floor
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 13.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017 edited

Its all looking really tidy, Quenten, though I don't know that the walls of the lighthouse need to be quite as thick.

Portland lighthouse (about 4 miles from where I live) only has 2m thick walls at the base, and a circular room with narrow slot windows at each level all the way up to the top.

EDIT: Nope! I stand corrected - by myself :) There aren't any rooms all the way up to the top, but the stairs are a very large open spiral from the room on the ground floor level where you enter the lighthouse. I don't know whether Portland Bill is any fatter than other lighthouses! LOL!
      Portland Bill interior.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Easier to build a thick wall with rock/rubble fill between outer layers, like the ancints did. Not that I'm showing it here. Still, I think I'll keep the walls as thick as they are for now.
    Is this floor Ok to submit to the atlas, do you think?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Are there any rocks you can use that are top down instead of ISO for the sea?

Apart from that It looks fine to me :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'll look through my catalogues. Thanks for that advice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017 edited

I have to agree with HadrianVI's earlier comment though, the main house shouldn't be cutting into the tower like that. Even with the thick walls, there are quite a lot of tonnes of rock now resting on basically nothing over the main house. A tower really need full support all the way around it's circumference all the way down to the ground level, or it would topple over. Actually, those thick walls only make the weight "hanging in the air" above the main house that much larger, increasing the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Dammit, you're right. Back to the drawing board
    Maybe, I'll turn it into a wooden structure.
    This is the one near where I live, there is a small entrance structure attached to it but the actual house is quite a way aways :)
      img0012_2a.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

True, but I have to stick to what is in the village map. I think my solution of a stone base with wooden superstructure will do as a reasonable compromse. And I recognize the lighthouse - was there last year!
    How funny! It's also the one from Round the Twist hehe :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017

I hope this meets the objections of our fantasy engineers :) I have made the house fit around the outside of the lighthouse wall, which is now stone in the 2nd level as well - the stone tickness should support it, and none will be resting on the house (as you will see when I put up the 2nd level. But seriously, i do thank you for pointing out an obvious design flaw. Though I did complain to myself about having to redo it somewhat - ah well, them's the breaks, and is why we need the forum topoint out obvious problems.
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 14.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The rock change will be next, Sue
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I lied, Sue - I'm going to do all 3 floors first, then change the rocks - I can then copy and paste into the other 2 levels.
    Anyway, here is level 2 - I think it's complete, but let me know otherwise. The house roof abuts the lighthouse wall.
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Wonderful job on this Quenten!!! I will certainly be using this....thanks for saving me the trouble of a lighthouse for my own campaign - if/when my players make it out of the interior of the kingdom and along the shoreline :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A very high compliment, thanks Lorelei
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited

Very nice. Especially fun to see it from start to finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Scott, you are all being awfully nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited

Looks neat!. You might want to apply EDITSHADING to the north half of the roof, though. It looks like the shingles — on the half only — are upside down?

I'm picturing an Errol Flynn-esque swordfight on that staircase! I also love maps, like this one, that show the roof in relation to the rest of the map because, frankly, my players seem to have quite a few rooftop fights. :-))

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Great job, Quenten. It looks really nice and realistic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017 edited

Now for the top floor. Working on rocks now, Sue!
    Edited to reflect no windows in the back walls - see my note below
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 3.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017

"Bright light! Bright light!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have to remove the windows at the back, and alter the lighting to reflect that. i don't think the villagers would appreciate the light on them all night. No flashing or rotating lights here - this is medieval tech, after all.
    Dogtag, do you think the light is too bright?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Too bright? For a lighthouse? Is that even possible? LOL. No, I was just quoting Gizmo, the mogwai from the 1984 movie, Gremlins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes, of course. Silly me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is Level 1, with new rocks (from Dundjinni). Sue, is this better?
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 15.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Love the map, but that old stone fill from CC2 filling in the lighthouse wall just looks horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I sort of agree. I'll look for a rubble type fill. Are the rocks OK?
    And this is the sort of feedback I really like, it helps improve the map, and my skills, thank you.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

The rocks are good. I agree with Remy that the wall fill could be a little more attractive. Have you looked at any of the Bogie fills?

I know large sailing boats are in short supply, but there may be a top down one somewhere in the CSUAC or Dundjinni artwork ;) I can't remember off hand, and there was an update I never looked at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I intended to look there Sue. I don't want another boat at this time - the one there is just meant as a cartouche. I am considering doing the smugglers' ship, The Dancing princess, as another map, like the 2009 Annual Issue 27. No self respecting boat would go near those rocks - it is partly the reason for the lighthouse after all.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Quenten, you can in fact create rocks yourself, if you feel like you want special forms or so.

Create a rock sheet and use the closed fractial draw tool to draw the rocks you like, choose a rocky fill (for example standard evil lands). Then add a lighted bevel effect with a large bevel size and an intensity of about 15-20. Then add a slight bevel effect with a small bevel size that just appears around the edges (maybe 1-2) with an intensity of 20-30 and 100% smoothing. Then add a directional wall shaddow with a lengh of about 1-2 meters, depending on how large you want the rocks to be and a blur of 0.1-0.5. And last but not least add a slight dark glow effect on the outside. You can then also stack rocks by using different sheets with all the same effects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Hadrian, I have copied the recipe down, and will try it on my next map. Sounds complex, but good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017

Is this fill better (I think it is).
    If it is, I will commence on the 2 basement levels
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Floor 16.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh yes :)

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Bricks 08 when I made that comment about the Bogie fills ;)

We can't use them in the Atlas maps, but for all other uses you can get the original textures of many of the Bogie fills at about 2-5 x the resolution (1024 px as opposed to about 500-750 px) at the CGTexture site I linked to recently in my Scribble Island thread ;) Bricks 08 is one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017 edited

This is a Bogie Fill (not the original at 1024 px) and is so able to be used in the Atlas. So I guess now having approval from one of the mapping goddesses (genuflection here), I will proceed to the Basement. Initial plan as below
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Basement 1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Oh....so much better! You know how much i dislike that fill, as we've discussed before Quenten :) I love this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Approval from the other mapping Goddess - divine approval no less. Jokes aside, thanks Lorelei
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Much better fill for the tower, but since it is a solid fill, you shouldn't have bevel and shadows on the inside of the walls. That makes it look like a sunken floor and not a fill. You'll probably wish to treat it the same way as you did with the previous fill, perhaps with a tiny bit of edge fade to blend it better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Advice will be taken,sir. Thanks, Remy I did wonder at this myself, but thought I would put up the pic as above to see what people thought. And you are one of the mapping Gods (not goddess of course)
    BTW, I am doing the 2nd basement level as a Dungeon World Style, linking Inn, Lighthouse, sea cave and who knows what else. Just converted miles to feet! It is coming on Ok, but not really to post yet, as I am mainly working on the basement 1 level (hereinafter referred to as 'Basement, see clause 3 subclause iv) :) just some legalese to make the name change 'official' :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is the Basement. Next the dungeon linking sea cave, Lighthouse basement, and Inn
      Helinesa Lighthouse_Basement 12.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2017

This is the layout of caverns and tunnels below Helinesa. The red is the water line, the grid is 5'square, and the Inn, lighthouse and shack beside the lighthouse shown. Hope to finish this in 24 hours. I have used annual style 2016, No 114 - Dungeon World.
      Helinesa Dungeon.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017

Here is the almost finished dungeon map below Helinesa. Just a few extra symbols in the empty caves, and I turn it over to Monsen, unless there are comments requiring attention. As per usual, I'll let this sit here for 24 hours first
      Helinesa Dungeon2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I really like that. I always have a problem with the dirt fills not looking good, but I like this dark one you used and will use it on my next dungeon map! Which fill is it?