Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

This is just the starting point of my map for the Helinesa Inn (the Drunken Sailor - anyone coming up with a decent symbol fo a drunken sailor, allowable under the Community Atlas rules, will get a hearty thanks from me). I will do it like the Inn and Cathedral of Annual 1 (but use CC3+ style - it is just a matter of making it in CC3+ with appropriate effects, and using CC3+ fills and symbols - nearly certainly Bogies and CSUAC as well). Comments, advice, snorts of derision, outright laughter of disbelief all welcome - 'I know where you live' (sinister voice)
      Helinesa Inn.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

Nice start, Quenten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Here is a more developed stage of the ground floor. The first floor has the bits jutting out. There will also be a basement (of course). ope to finish thie in a week - please make comments now on what I should be doing. The external shadows will be fixed up, and the fill style of the walls will be fixed to reflect that they are running on angles - just need to go over that bit in the Tome. The tiling will hopefully be fixed by various means.
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Ground Floor.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Further update. I have the outside to do, and the fixing of the wall fills, then I think, unless there are suggestions to the contrary, i will get started on the first floor
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Ground Floor2.JPG
    Starting to look like a real inn! Nice work :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Well, apart from fixing the direction of the wall fills, this level is now complete, unless there are thoughts from the rest of you. First floor now
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Ground Floor3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTime6 days ago

This looks great! Although, i am not loving the floor change. Being one large floor, it is distracting to the eye with the cobblestones aligning with your polygon and not the actual rooms. I'd suggest an individual floor for each room, or something without a stone layout? And perhaps a fenced in area near the barn for horses so they don't up and run off! lol! Otherwise, nice work, as usual :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Good suggestions, I'll take heed, Thanks again. I wondered about fences in this village, but I'll work something out.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Lovely. Detail is great. Splotches of blood on the floor in the public room? Must be a rough place! If I had one "criticism" it would be the way you can see the repeat pattern in the cobblestone fill (as is the bane of most fills!). You solved that issue in the grass by overlaying those spots of mud or bare earth, and it looks great. But I think it looks fantastic, regardless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Another nifty inn! It looks great but I agree with Lorelei that you might want to add a few individual floor fills to some of the rooms. Also, you might want to consider moving the door to the storage room on the south end of the kitchen a little bit to the left. Otherwise it might be hard for someone to open the door, ha ha!

Looks like a very lively place!

A quick fix for the floor is to use one of the Shaded Polygon commands (probably have to hide the outer wall to do that). The easiest, of course, is Shaded Polygon (Angle by Edge). I recommend you start with a 45° pitch and then, if necessary, you can adjust it higher (darker) or lower (brighter) via the Change Shade Pitch command. All of these commands are available by right-clicking the Polygon button.

You can do the same thing with the outer, stone wall, too! Normally, I'd say convert the path to poly but you've already added doors and windows. Instead, since the building is a simple rectangle, it may be quicker and easier to just redraw the outer wall using the Polygon or Box command, with a width equal to the wall and with the same fill. And, as I'm sure you know, it's super easy to do that if you use the Extract Properties command and click the existing wall first (probably have to hide the floor to do that). Then, you'll just need to re-add the doors and windows (which should be fairly quick work) or, of course, you could make a bunch of cuts but that seems like more work to my lazy self.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

And to add to Dogtag's post, if you use Shaded Polygon to change the angle of your floor, and you don't want the sun to affect it at all, you just wish to angle it, after using the Shaded Polygon command on it, you can use the EDITSHADING command on it, and enable the 'Shade Only Copy' option. This will result in rotated fill, but it doesn't get affected by the sun angle (so the pitch becomes irrelevant) and it keeps the same coloration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Brilliant! Er... okay, maybe not the best word when talking about eliminating light. But, you know what I mean. That's awesome. I was not aware you could do that. It opens a lot of possibilities.

Is that a text-only command? I can't find any reference to it in the online help, user manual, or the revised Tome 3+!

EDIT: Found it! It's on p. 340 of the Tome, under Aligned Fills (not the user manual, though, *sniff*). The full name of the dialog opened by the command is Roof shaded polygon. Wow, there're are a lot of options. Neat! Strange that the option called Shade Only Copy actually removes the shading and sets align only, but I'm delighted to learn about this command. Thanks again, Monsen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Well, you have to activate it from the command prompt, but it brings up a dialog, so it isn't text-only.
    Note that this is more of a developer than a user dialog, you can do several things from that dialog that doesn't make sense, and not everything works as expected given the label.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Oh my! When I think of all the hours I've spent trying to make stripy field textures look right by continuously tilting them more or less!

Thanks Remy :D

Quenten - I think you'd be fine with just the one floor fill once it lines up with the overall orientation of the building. Looking great :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Monsen quickly and stealthily wrote:Well, you have to activate it from the command prompt, but it brings up a dialog, so it isn't text-only.
    Note that this is more of a developer than a user dialog, you can do several things from that dialog that doesn't make sense, and not everything works as expected given the label.
    Heh. just as I was typing my edit. LOL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Thanks guys. I'll get onto it, but after I do the other floors.
    Wow this has majorly come along since last night! Great work Quenten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

This ground floor is done, I think - door changed, tracks added and fence erected, along with fixing floors and walls
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Ground Floor4.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Here is the basement, complete with secret 'man-cave' ;)
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Basement.JPG
    I really love the basement!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Here is the first floor of the Inn - still a work in progress, but at least I have the rooms worked out, and the beds are a little more than 6', so in scale. I have an approriately angled grid, but I am choosing not to show it yet, cos it detracts from the overall scheme of things (actually, I generally hate grids as part of the picture on the map, but that's just me, I guess).
    Should finish this tomorrow night, along with map notes, then off to Monsen, so please add your critique before I do so
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Floor 1.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime20 hours ago edited

Here is the first floor, at last. Also fixed some minor things on the ground floor. I will leave this here for 24 hours, to give you all time to comment and tell me what needs to be changed/improved, then send it to Remy Monsen
      Drunken Sailor Inn_Floor 12.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime19 hours ago

A magnificent collection of maps, Quenten. You should be very pleased with yourself :D

I have only one tiny suggestion, and it is only a very silly matter of taste, but do you think they would they look even better if you reduced the intensity and/or size of the white glow around the text?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Done, ma'am. A good suggestion
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime19 hours ago edited

Well, this exercise taught me about using shaded polygons, and EDITSHADING, thanks Remy; and how to angle a grid and trim to map border (not done that before). This Atlas is a great CC3+ learning tool.
    NOW... for the Lighthouse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: QuentenThis Atlas is a great CC3+ learning tool.
    Then it's doing it's job :)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime18 hours ago

This looks very nice. Great job.