How do I force City Designer to use the hi-res fills?

Hi,
I've stumbled over an issue that I seemingly can't resolve. When I try to exchange a texture that currently uses the LO .png with the same texture using the VH .png, CD just resets the texture to the LO .png after I press okay on the fill style window.

Why does it do that?

Comments

• is your display speed set at a fixed bitmap quality?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The quality in the fill style window changes dynamically based on which resolution is currently being used, changing it won't help, as CC3+ will see that the four versions are present, and will automatically change to the proper one based on the current zoom level (and fill style resolution values).

The correct way to force a specific on is as Lorelei pointed out, use the Display Speed settings. You should note that this will severely impact speed and responsiveness in CC3+, and normally, it is far better to let CC3+ handle it, as it will use the appropriate HI/VH when you are zoomed far enough in to actually being able to spot the difference. (Very often, when zoomed out, the LO texture usually look better than a severely rescaled version of the HI one anyway)
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Thank you. I never actually noticed it, which mean it just works fine. But when working with CD, especially with the Jon Roberts Style, the textures seem quite repetitive unless used in a larger size, which tends to make them pixelated.
    Yea, if you change the scaling of the texture by a considerable amount, you should change the fill style resolutions from the Display speed dialog too. This prevents this issue.
    Thank you, Remy. Then I will do that just before rendering the map.

Also I have another problem. I made some boat hulls in a separate file but somehow I can't copy them to the file I want them in.
    Sometimes some insert path window appears but when I click ok and then click on the map nothing happens. Sometimes it does seem to work at first because it shows the lines of the copied entity but then when I click nothing happens. However, it worked on one boat but not on the others and I don't see why. Any ideas?
    Posted By: HadrianVIThank you, Remy. Then I will do that just before rendering the map.
    It's usually not needed when rendering the map. Because of the amount of pixels in the rendered image, CC3+ will usually use the VH resolution during renders in any case, or you could just override the automatic quality system altogehter int he Display Speed dialog and set it to manual - Very high before rendering, without messing with the fill style resolution settings. Those are most useful when you want to change the on-screen behavior.

As for inserting the file, I am not sure, I've never had a problem. The only thing I know about is that inserting a template won't work (but the dialog won't normally even show you those), and inserting a symbol catalog just imports the symbols instead of inserting anything visible in the map, but everything else should be insertable just fine. You need to keep an eye on the scale though, as it is inserted in the same scale it was drawn in, so some drawings may be so large as to extend outside your current view on all sides, causing the outlines to be effectively invisible, or it may be so small as to be impossible to see. Also note that the origin point of the drawing (0,0) will appear on the cursor, so if the drawing in the file is very far from this point, it may appear outside the map.
    Once things are placed, sheet order is also important, it may end up below other entities in your map.
    Thank you, Remy.

I am not sure what is causing the copying issue. It worked on one ship but not on the others. But all were made the same way.
    The scale should not be a problem either. And I can copy things from the other map to the ship map but not the other way around.
    The sheets should not be a problem either, because they are at the bottom of the list. And when hiding everything else, the screen is just white. There are no entities.
    I just noticing one thing, I was assuming you were using the insert file command, but re-reading, you might be using the clipboard copy command. While many of the same consideration apply, there is one more, make sure the copy command is done working. I've found that if I act too fast, even if I remembered to select the origin, it won't work. Make sure to wait until you see the entities getting deselected, indicating that CC3+ is done, before moving over to the other map and pasting it.
    edited May 2017
    Thank you, Remy. Waiting does not resolve the issue either. Also, I tried insert file, but it inserts everything but the ships...

I attached the FCW File with the ship hulls.
    I could copy and insert them just fine, however, I did notice one thing. You have drawn them on the TEMPLATE layer. On most maps, the template layer is hidden and frozen, so when you click to place them, they are placed correctly, but since they are placed on a hidden layer, they won't be visible until you hide said layer.

In general, avoid placing entities on the TEMPLATE, MERGE and SYMBOL DEFINITION layers.
    YESSSS! THANK YOU, REMY!!
    You just saved my night. Thank you!!