Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

A select png area that might shrink or grow depending on what happens as I work on this map. I'll update this png section to show any changes to the png section I'm using.

at 75% of my exported png.

Changed export, I forgot to mark off the size of the map. Anyway, the text near the edges activated effects. They aren't in the original I am working on. This is just a guide anyway.

lay on MacDuff !
      justice island0b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

Here is a 65% png of the work so far. Tiny stuff, so I will likely take a break for a bit, maybe until tomorrow.

Oh Quenten, what did you use for the brown areas to the lower right ? When I do list it keeps coming up Land_MS. I'm probably just missing it, but no luck for me so far. Thanks !

I'll have to move some of the hills so the river and the road can go through. And since I cannot fractalize without a kathud, I tried moving the mouse around as I did the multipoly for land and sea.
      growlerbay01_00016b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

The brown area is Grassland_MS, with an Edge Fade Inner effect. Hope that helps, but no need to stick to Mike Schley style if you want something different. Remember, this is a regional/local map, and so details can be a little altered (like moving some hills etc). This will be a JimP map, NOT a Quenten map. :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

But yours are so much better than my plain ones I had to do something kinda similar to yours. I like the way you did it.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

So far this is looking REALLY nice, Jim. Great work! Nice to see you trying a new style - im not sure i've seen you use this style yet in your maps. That's whats so great about the Atlas, everyone can try any style they like or ever wanted to try before! Anyway, keep it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

Posted By: JimPAnd since I cannot fractalize without a kathud
    Ok, I have to ask, what is a kathud? According to google, it is a village in India?

As for the fractalization issues, you are aware you can use the FRXM command? This does basically the same as the regular (currently bugged) fractalize command, just with command line input instead of a dialog box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for the info about the FRXM command, Monsen. Just what I needed, REALLY needed to know. Saves a lot of redrawing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited

Monsen reasonably asked:... what is a kathud?

It's an onomatopoeia and a variation of thud. I typically see it in print as hyphenated (ka-thud!) but I doubt there's an authoritative spelling.  :-D

Also similar is ka-thump and ka-boom! And, usually non-hyphenated for some reason, kerplunk.

English. Go figure.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Kathump is a village in Lower Slobbovia, where L'il Abner's Aunt lives. :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

kahtud is a version of 'what was that !?' I had no idea it was an actual village name.

I will try frxm next time.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017 edited

An update... a bit more, note 'The Ghost' a ruined keep with gray hills and desolate trees up top middle of the map. Map is 65%.
      growlerbay01_00024b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017

You know, you should really put a mine up there in those hills, so someone can make a nice mine map using the newest annual :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017

The Ghost keep could be a haunted cover for a series of mines. I'll look into a bit more mine type areas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017 edited

Okay, I have updated the above map by adding the lower edge of the unnamed mountains. The Lost Mines of the Desperate Mountains. Two cave entrances.

Oh, the waves on the ocean came about by unclicking the scale on Ocean_MS and Sea_MS bitmap fills.

another edit: I am thinking about placing a henge or two on this map, but I haven't decided where yet. Any suggestions ?

another edit: Hopefully I got all of the land edges to meet the map border this time.
      growlerbay01_00025b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017

Wow! This is a bit different from your usual style, Jim - but I like it VERY much :D

I suppose the henges could be put in the more remote areas - not necessarily the mountains, but away from the towns.

Where they occurred in ancient Britain (Stonehenge is not the only circle we have) they have ended up being mostly separated from nearby modern settlements, and there is one on the Isle of Arran in Scotland that stands in glorious isolation as far as you can get from the modern towns, in the middle of a moor.

This page might help with a few ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Jim, on my original map, there is a ruined castle near your right hand border, almost due east of Hodge city. Are you going to use any effects on the land and shallow sea, to soften their sharp edges - I suggest Fade, inner edge. But you have made this an adventurer's playground - next you will have to do a dungeon or 2 in the area.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017 edited

I have mostly been working my way around the map in a clockwise manner. Only thing i have placed over there so far is the lgihthouse, and the roads. Along with details of villages and local economy. I need to move some of the hills so the river can run down hill...

I am using the same river color, along with the sea and ocean_ms bitmap fills, as on your map. I have been wondering how to blend the river in better. Effects aren't something i have learned how to do yet.

edit: map update coming soon.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the new map, with some text glow, and Inner glow got added to lots of things. I'll post the map the way CC3+ did the effects. 65% size.
      growlerbay01_00032b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

And here is the png export with just the text getting outer glow.
      growlerbay01_00033b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I actually prefer the first of these 2.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

And here is the png export with just text, and the land names the same color. Also at 65% size.

Which looks better ?
      growlerbay01_00034b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is the farmlan_MS scaled back to 8.3 instead of 17.5.
      growlerbay01_00035b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I also prefer the first one with the edge fade inner on the ocean, and the glow on the land?

How about turning all your text the same dark colour, and editing the glow on the text sheet to white? That will make it all very much easier to read against the mountains :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here are all the effects back, except drop shadow on the text. And farmland at 4.1. 65% map size.
      growlerbay01_00036b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That looks so much better already :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay, I'll use the last one. Now, to find time to work on it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Looks great Jim. Adventures aplenty there. Love the orchards
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017

Thanks ! Two keeps, a castle, some mines, and a large forest. Plenty of areas to be detailed.

I'm thinking about a sea mount towards the bottom of the righthand coastline. Could be the haunt of sea ghouls. :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017 edited

A map with some added text and locations. The trees in the farmland could be shade for the field workers, part of an old forest slowly being cut down for farmland, or a force magically planting trees to take back the semi-civilized area that is now farmland and a few villages and homlets. 65% reduced size.

Any suggestions ? I'm about to submit for inclusion in the Atlas.

edit: What size scale should I add ?
      growlerbay01_00040b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017

Really like this Jim, did you enjoy working in the Mike Schley style. I wonder if the text for the lost sea caves and growler Reef could be reduced, and put close to the entities they describe, doing away with 2 of the arrows, just as you have done for the Lonesome Lighthouse and Baneful rocks. In fact the text size of baneful rocks and Lonesome Lighthouse could also be reduced - perhaps to the same size as the Moon East Monolith (love that one). For scale, pick a scale symbol and edit the numbers to fit the distance required (do Info-distance to get an idea of the actual scale, then enlarge/reduce the symbol scale to get a decent integer, and use that. My explanation doesn't seem clear perhaps. I hope others can help with this.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017

The scale explanation works for me.

I used arrow lines because I didn't want to crowd the words together. Growler Keep label could be placed on the land, but then there would be no place to put labels for the villages, etc.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited

At 70% size. Changes made. Named 2 forests, but I felt I didn't have room to name all of the roads.
      growlerbay01_00042b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017

Looks very nice, Jim. A little weird for me to see your map with effects applied, but I expect it's even weirder for you to have used them. I hope you like the results because, personally, I think they look very good and would enjoy seeing more of your maps with effects.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

This is really grand Jim! My favourite bit is where the trees are crowding right into the road through the Wild One Forest, as if the pathway keeps getting changed there, perhaps, or maybe just the Wild One isn't happy with too much civilisation encroaching...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: DogtagLooks very nice, Jim. A little weird for me to see your map with effects applied, but I expect it's even weirder for you to have used them. I hope you like the results because, personally, I think they look very good and would enjoy seeing more of your maps with effects.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

Yeah, I'm all shook up.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: WyvernThis is really grand Jim! My favourite bit is where the trees are crowding right into the road through the Wild One Forest, as if the pathway keeps getting changed there, perhaps, or maybe just the Wild One isn't happy with too much civilisation encroaching...

Could be, but at this scale, the trees could be right beside the road instead of in it. Either way, makes it a bit too easy for robbers to leap onto merchants and other passersby.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited

At 75% of full. Anything else I need to do before I submit it on Tuesday ?
      growlerbay01_00045b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I would move the scale bar and compass rose down and a bit to the left. Looks weird having them in the middle of the sea with all that empty space closer to the map border.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Apart from Monsen's suggestion, it's supercalifragilisticexpialidosus!!! Can't wait to see another JimP entry into the atlas. What's next on the list, Jim?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I'll be offline this weekend for some camping. No internet. So Thursday night is likely it, and then back online next week.

No decison yet, which usually spurs me into action, on which map is next.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Okay, here we go. at 75% of original size.
      growlerbay01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I made a big mistake... the northern most road is not a road, its a border.

So is this a city-state ? Or what ?

I'll add a border just north of the road.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Corrected map. At 75%. I have submitted the zip file to Monson.
      growlerbay01b2.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Thanks for your contribution Jim. Growler Bay is now available in the atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

You're welcome.

I decided to leave 'carving up the areas' for these islands to other mappers. I may have made the civilized areas too small. As for adventure areas, in my game world there was an adventuring area below the main town, where we first started game play.
    This looks amazing, fantastic work!