Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

Here is the furthest island in the Forlorn Archipelago. Cold, desolate, and ruined by continued belching of volcanic gas and ash. Only 1 village on the west coast struggles on, and a few necromantic practitioners huddle in their forbidding towers. Otherwise the land is beset by strangely mutated monsters. The plains and coasts are dotted with ruins, notably the towns of Trumpiton and Donaldsey. I perhaps need to emphasize the bleakness of the east coast more. The forests and mountains and Glaciers are where JimP put them, and I am very reluctant to change them. But tell me what you think.
      The Bleakness.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looking nice.
    I was wondering about your trees though. The resolution is not good enough to see them properly, so I may be mistaken, but they look like deciduous trees, while I would have expected the more hardy coniferous to dominate here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

They are coniferous - I am using the Dark Realms annual (no 120) - with some symbols from Mike Schley and Herwin Wielink (so the only add-on to CC3+ is the 2016 Annual). I think I might extend the ash terrain into the mountains - looks too 'border-like' around them at present. I hope you all like my homage to the US President - may he lie in ruins indeed! But thanks for the comment. I might darken the forest background to look more coniferous, and reduce the forests on the east coast and place more dead trees
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

nice work, Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Nice mix of styles here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Too true, Dogtag, except the US President affects almost every country in the globe. I tremble at the looming 'accident' in the South China Seas, or North Korea, leading to war with Chins. I hope Australia will have the sense to stay neutral, but with our present government (Trump-lite), there isn't a chance. A bit doomsday, I know.
    On another note (tra-la-la), here is an update of the map - almost finished, so please get in early with your critiques.
      The Bleakness2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I will put some dead stuff along the lake shores. Should I keep the waves or would it be better if I used blurred lines as Hadrian did in the Maelstrom Bay map?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

The waves look fine to me. There could be caves in some of the mountains. Or not. ( edited for typos)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Caves comin' up! I'll put up a version with blurred lines instead of symbols for waves and you can all tell me what you think, please.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I love the Dark Realms style! This is pretty neat, Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

We seem to have mislaid a post from Dogtag somewhere along the line here (maybe too political?).

Have to say as soon as I saw "Trumpiton", I actually thought it was a misspelling of "Trumpton", the UK-famous children's stop-motion TV programme made for the BBC back in 1967 - Wikipedia page (sadly without any images), and with a few images on the Trumptonshire website. Innocent pleasures of the past!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Posted By: WyvernWe seem to have mislaid a post from Dogtag somewhere along the line here (maybe too political?).

Nah. I think Quenten may have been replying to a short whispered comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes I was - forgot to keep it whispered (hangs head in deep mortification). Note I added Klintong Flats between Trumpiton and Donaldsey ruins, just to keep it all balanced! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

Here is my final update on The Bleakness. Map Notes are underway. I will wait for 24 hrs before submitting to Monsen, to give you all a chance for last minute comments in case I need to change anything BEFORE sending it off.
      The Bleakness3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Great job! It looks very beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks great to me ! Wonderful interpretation of my original archipelago area map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

My very last update - I have added a few more waves, more rocks, more text labels and changed to river/lake colour - more toxic and ...slimy1
      The Bleakness4.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017

I have sent the map and notes to Monsen. Cheers everyone. Back to Stromphe City now
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Thanks for your contribution. The Bleakness is now available in the atlas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Monsen, counting the world map, I get only (only!) 42 maps, not 43. But we'll soon be at 43, I'm sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yea, the one map difference is the Start.fcw file in the zip with the instructions, but that one isn't available online, since it isn't a real map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

LOL. You win :D