opaque edges to symbols

I did a quick room the other day, using non-Profantasy symbols for the furniture*. The original image had the light wood floor, see below, and thats when I noticed it. I took the floor off, leaving it white to see if it carried through and it did, as did the carpet. I have no idea why, what or how so I'm consulting others with a lot more experience than I have.

I installed DD3 about a month ago, other than that I've not done anything new.

Hoping someone can point me towards a solution,

Helen

* they were all Vintry and Bogies.

Comments

• couldn't get the original one to upload, but you get the idea.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    When determining which parts of an image will be affected by effects for a given sheet, CC3+ remembers what the image looked like before everything is drawn for the sheet and then compares that original image with what it looks like after everything on the sheet has been drawn. Any pixels that changed, even a little bit, are considered to be opaque as far as how effects will treat them. What that means in this case is that the shadow halos around all of your symbols will be treated as opaque and that the effects will start at the outermost edges of those halos. There isn't anything that can be done about this behavior.
  • Posted By: jslaytonWhen determining which parts of an image will be affected by effects for a given sheet, CC3+ remembers what the image looked like before everything is drawn for the sheet and then compares that original image with what it looks like after everything on the sheet has been drawn. Any pixels that changed, even a little bit, are considered to be opaque as far as how effects will treat them. What that means in this case is that the shadow halos around all of your symbols will be treated as opaque and that the effects will start at the outermost edges of those halos. There isn't anything that can be done about this behavior.
    I could understand it if I had tweaked the symbols, but I hadn't. I just selected and placed them.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    Unfortunately, as jslayton points out, it looks like the symbols have glows and shadows as part of the actual symbol image. Symbols that include these things as part of the actual symbol image typically result in this issue because there is a gradient fade around the edge of the symbol. Only the very outer edge of the symbol is actually transparent.

A workaround is to make sure the sheet where you place these symbols does not include a shadow or glow effect. Probably even no effect at all, since the effects will be applied to the edge of the symbol image, which extends past the included shadow.