Help Please - Importing PNGs to Symbol Catalog under Wine (Annual 4)

Has anyone successfully imported PNG files to create a Symbol Catalog under Wine? No matter what I do, it will not import a directory of PNGs or a single PNG file. I am following the tutorial from Annual 4. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    I presume you create a new catalog from a template, select Symbols>Import pngs from the menu, and then browse for the PNG folder in the Import bitmap files as symbol catalog dialog box, right?

What happens after that? Are you unable to browse to the folder? Do you get an error? Or do you not see anything in the catalog after you click OK?

If you don't see anything in the open catalog file, that's normal. Symbol catalog files don't display the symbols in the "map" area of the main window. They also don't display in the Catalog window on the left, since those symbols pull from a separate file, much as they do when you're working on a regular map file.

If you do the import but don't see any symbols in your open file after you do the import, try selecting Symbols>Symbol Manager from the menu to open the Symbol Manager. You should be able to see the imported symbols in there.

Does that help?
    ~Dogtag
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited April 2017
    Posted By: DogtagI presume you create a new catalog from a template, selectSymbols>Import pngsfrom the menu, and then browse for the PNG folder in theImport bitmap files as symbol catalogdialog box, right?

What happens after that? Are you unable to browse to the folder? Do you get an error? Or do you not see anything in the catalog after you clickOK?

If you don't see anything in the open catalog file, that's normal. Symbol catalog files don't display the symbols in the "map" area of the main window. They also don't display in the Catalog window on the left, since those symbols pull from a separate file, much as they do when you're working on a regular map file.

If you do the import but don't see any symbols in your open file after you do the import, try selectingSymbols>Symbol Managerfrom the menu to open theSymbol Manager. You should be able to see the imported symbols in there.

Does that help?
    ~Dogtag
    It never imports. After choosing the import directory and clicking ok, I get a box that says 0 imported, etc

edit: ok this is solved by manually entering the import directory path into the dialog box.
    edited April 2017
  • Posted By: DogtagBlast.
    see my ninja edit. :)
    edited April 2017
    I am following the Tutorial in Annual 4 and it feels like he is skipping over something or something is not working. It says 23 pngs imported but Symbol manager only shows one symbol. If I open one of the .png files from the original import dir, then all the symbols appear on the left but I can't click on them.. arrrgggghhhh...

I slam into a wall on every annual. :(
  • file names were too long.
    Aha. Let me guess, they have to be less than, or equal to, 32 characters long?
    edited April 2017
    Posted By: DogtagAha. Let me guess, they have to be less than, or equal to, 32 characters long?
    Most likely. I am about ready to toss my Mac in the garbage and get a peecee. It seems like most of the stuff I am using now is made for Windows or has a Windows port.

I got the import working, used it, closed the map but now I am seeing red x instead of symbols.
  • Ok I think I have it working now. Thanks again Dogtag!
    edited April 2017
    I'm not sure how much I helped, but I'm glad you've got it working!  \:D/
    edited April 2017
    Posted By: DogtagI'm not sure how much I helped, but I'm glad you've got it working!\:D/
    I am sure it's a great tutorial but it was a little hard for me to follow for some reason.

I am more of a "Do this: 1. 2. 3. 4." kind of person :)